• ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ?

There was a time people were shoving each other to buy 7.62x39 at 50 cents a round

Then all the political talk stopped and so did people's fear buying, well for pretty much everything besides 380 fmj and 22 that is.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Was at a LGS this weekend and a guy asked for 22lr. The owner had 1 box left. I looked and noticed that the brand was something new to me and not a familiar name. When I asked the owner if he had any more he said "No". Then he started laughing and said: "Wait till Monday and I'll have plenty more". He went on to say that: "I can't get 22LR from any American company but I can sure getting plenty of this stuff. It's imported and works as good as anything I've ever had". He went on to say that: "If you are flipping you might want to think twice. This stuff is coming in really well and based on what I'm hearing it sounds like the flippers might be eating their hoards real soon". I'm heading back tomorrow for 3 bricks.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ?

There was a time people were shoving each other to buy 7.62x39 at 50 cents a round

Then all the political talk stopped and so did people's fear buying, well for pretty much everything besides 380 fmj and 22 that is.

No joke! what is the deal with .380? I don't get it… Haven't even seen any in the longest time

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was at a LGS this weekend and a guy asked for 22lr. The owner had 1 box left. I looked and noticed that the brand was something new to me and not a familiar name. When I asked the owner if he had any more he said "No". Then he started laughing and said: "Wait till Monday and I'll have plenty more". He went on to say that: "I can't get 22LR from any American company but I can sure getting plenty of this stuff. It's imported and works as good as anything I've ever had". He went on to say that: "If you are flipping you might want to think twice. This stuff is coming in really well and based on what I'm hearing it sounds like the flippers might be eating their hoards real soon". I'm heading back tomorrow for 3 bricks.

The American companies are maxed out. Our biggest potential sources are overseas, if we can get the ammo past customs. In the past we had a lot of ammo sourced from overseas.

Last edited:

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    My favorite plinking ammo is Aguila from Mexico, at least it was. Like local brands, I can't find it either. It was slightly cheaper than domestic offerings and plated, clean.
    My next outing I'll be trying out the somewhat newish BrassMax 9mm. It says TulAmmo on the box, but apparently is made by Fiocchi.

I'm new to (purchased) firearms, and I'm part of your problem. :) But to be honest, I shoot what I buy, and that's not much either. I have meager stock put aside, but don't hoard or flip ammo on GB.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No joke! what is the deal with .380? I don't get it… Haven't even seen any in the longest time

I think that it was always a more fringe caliber (the reason it's more expensive than 9mm, even when plentiful, even though it's small case and bullet), but with the huge increase in CCW permits across the country, and the proliferation of pocket pistols and .380 caliber guns, the demand outstrips the supply. .380 seems to be the latest fad. Crap, 5-10 years ago, of your shooting acquaintances, who had a .380 gun. Now every mfg's on the bandwagon.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think that it was always a more fringe caliber (the reason it's more expensive than 9mm, even when plentiful, even though it's small case and bullet), but with the huge increase in CCW permits across the country, and the proliferation of pocket pistols and .380 caliber guns, the demand outstrips the supply. .380 seems to be the latest fad. Crap, 5-10 years ago, of your shooting acquaintances, who had a .380 gun. Now every mfg's on the bandwagon.
    This is why I got rid of my Diamondback 380. Loved the little gun, but ammo was too expensive and hard to find (I hadn't started reloading yet).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It does seem like everyone has a 380 now, you are right. Makes sense as to the reason, it would be nice to see an up in production for a sight decrease in price (depending on level of demand obviously). Who knows, I would like some though, and my gun won't run the cheap tul so I'm even more limited.

On a second note a guy was in the store buying 22lr talking about how many rounds he had after this next brick. But he doesn't even own a 22. or a gun he says "but I got 'em" talking about 22's and his stash at home:dunno:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thats not why we have an ammo shortage. I travel the countryside and buy every 22 I can find with the inheritance my great aunt left me.

Insert purple.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Prices are going down. Demand is down though higher than it was in the past. one thing is that manufacturers are increasing production. And there is some overseas production that is getting into the US. Maybe, with an Republican president, we might see more overseas ammo come in thus taking prices down even more.

We are still not where prices were before the rush started, and I don't see it getting back there. More like gas prices, I think people are getting numb to paying 30% more than they were before for ammo.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    The Coldwater Walmart in Fort Wayne has lifted its 3 box minimum on everything except .22lr. Not sure about the other WM's. There has been .22 Blazers at Lima Rd and Coldwater the last two times I've been there. The bricks are opened and they are sold as 50rd boxes. I left them for others :)

indianachris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I was in four Walmart's over the weekend and they all seem pretty stocked up. It was nice to be able to choose what kind of ammo you wanted instead of just saying I'll take three boxes of 9mm.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    The average retail employee who sells .22 ammo makes around $10 per hour. If he works 40 hrs. a week, he spends 1 hr. selling all of the .22LR and 39 hrs. listening to conspiracy theories about why there's no .22 LR. After taxes, he'll be lucky to take home $300. On the other side of the counter, there's a bunch of guys who buy 10 bricks at $25 each or $250 then they flip them online for $65 per brick for a gross profit of $400 tax free. That's why you people with jobs can't find any .22LR. Luckily the guys behind the counter aren't good at math or they'll spend a few hours a week waiting in line at Gander, Wally World, and Rural King and they'll triple their incomes and it will be even harder to get waited on.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The average retail employee who sells .22 ammo makes around $10 per hour. If he works 40 hrs. a week, he spends 1 hr. selling all of the .22LR and 39 hrs. listening to conspiracy theories about why there's no .22 LR. After taxes, he'll be lucky to take home $300. On the other side of the counter, there's a bunch of guys who buy 10 bricks at $25 each or $250 then they flip them online for $65 per brick for a gross profit of $400 tax free. That's why you people with jobs can't find any .22LR. Luckily the guys behind the counter aren't good at math or they'll spend a few hours a week waiting in line at Gander, Wally World, and Rural King and they'll triple their incomes and it will be even harder to get waited on.
    One thing, though. One day the flipper's bubble will burst and he will have to look for another easy money scheme, while he sits on a bunch of .22 ammo.

Top Bottom