WHY WE CARRY: What scenario are you preparing for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I guess I'm selective. When IMO the risks of not carrying outweigh the risks of carrying, I do so. Otherwise, I opt for the knife. It is much harder to get thrown in jail with a knife, especially in Indiana where knife laws are very lenient.

And how do you predict that? Can you predict when you will trip on a crack in the sidewalk and fall and break an arm?

I carry because there are many in the world that have no regard for human life.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Since I found the crystal ball, I don't carry anymore. I will start practicing at the range again on August 25 2021for the armed Robert two days later at McDonald's where I will be able to save the lives of the twelve people present and of course myself.

That is all.

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    And how do you predict that? Can you predict when you will trip on a crack in the sidewalk and fall and break an arm?

I can't. Don't pretend to. It's an educated guess, nothing more.

But a friend of mine got in a common traffic accident and police stole his beautiful 1911. Took a lawyer, a month, and $1,500 to get it back. Another friend was stopped and frisked, gun stolen again. Neither had committed a crime or had a record of any kind.

So I no longer carry everywhere. I carry for situations where, in my judgment, the danger from private sector criminals exceeds that of public sector criminals. And I never carry a gun that I don't want to have stolen. Carrying a knife, especially in IN, makes one a much more difficult target and greatly reduces the loss if you are targeted.

Works for me. But I appear to be in the minority judging by the responses here. Seems like most others around here are 24/7 carriers... which is a good thing in its own way.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry because there are way to many nut bags running loose. No respect for life. No honor. No civility.

^^^ This ^^^

We live in an age where brand name crap is held higher in value than a human life. Our world works on emotion, not logic. When I'm awake, I am carrying a gun on me and when I'm not, it's within 18 inches of me. What I carry varies based on where I am going and what I'll be doing. The closer I get to Indy, the higher the capacity I carry.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I'm similar in thought to sopwith21. I don't carry everywhere and every place. I keep tabs on where the local crime happens and the time of day (often after midnight). I avoid the most risky areas to reduce my risk of being a victim of crime. I'll carry at times when I think my risk will be higher and it is somewhere I want/need to be. I'm also more likely to carry in a city other than my home city since I'm not always so familiar with the area. If I'm not carrying a gun, I have a knife with me.

I don't ever want to have to use either of my carry tools. If drastic conditions arise, I want an option other than just my hands (assuming that running away isn't a safe choice).

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I carry because I see no reason not to. Nobody expects to be in a gas station robbery, movie theater massacre, ATM robbery, home invasion, or any of the other hundred things that happen to people everyday in this country. Carry everywhere and be prepared for the day you may need it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I carry because I see no reason not to. Nobody expects to be in a gas station robbery, movie theater massacre, ATM robbery, home invasion, or any of the other hundred things that happen to people everyday in this country. Carry everywhere and be prepared for the day you may need it.

Now there ya go. It's like a parachute. You don't wear it because you think you'll need it, you wear it because you might. If you ever do need it and don't have it you'll never need it again.

Top Bottom