• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Second to paper targets, it seems like people take shots at walmart more than pop cans and clay targets.

Why Walmart Is Not Evil For Opening On Thanksgiving, Give It A Break - Forbes

Who died and made you the authority on business principles? This was my response in a recent discussion with a family member in discussing the state of retail giant Walmart. It seems although I have no personal interest in the company, I continue to come to its defense. As far as I’m concerned, the company has become too easy of a target.

What bothers me is the idea that a scarlet letter has to be immediately attached to anyone with enough audacity to publicly say anything positive about the company. It’s beginning to get old. When Walmart is not being attacked for claims over low wages, it is being punished for what is perceived as undermining U.S. manufacturing – It all depends on what day it is. Walmart does not kill off “mom and pop” shops – they kill themselves. Anyone with enough business sense should understand this. However, why let a good opportunity for some “righteous anger” slip away.

It’s Thanksgiving – Thanks for Shopping
    However, aside from the fact that these arguments often get stale, over and over again, they are grossly based on hypocrisy. The same people that toss insults at Walmart can’t stay out of its stores for the convenience it brings. Still, this time around the company is being loathed and finds itself on the receiving end of increased backlash for its decision to open its doors on Thanksgiving. At the risk of sounding insensitive – so what! I don’t see what the big deal is.
    However, over 30,000 people do as they have all signed an online petition asking the company to reverse its decision and close on Thanksgiving. However, Walmart’s plan is to open after 8PM – long after every one has eaten and certainly after second and third portions have had enough time to be digested. Still this is nothing new as the company also opened on Thanksgiving of last year – except this time it wants to open two hours earlier. Again, I ask where is the crime?

The petition asserts that Walmart is disregarding the needs of its employees and that the company can afford to allow them the time to be spend with their families. But does this make Walmart evil for providing employment in an economy already ravaged by lost jobs. What’s more, Walmart is not the only retailer that plans to open on thanksgiving in preparation for Black Friday. Other retailers such as Target, Kmart as well as Toy R Us also plan to take advantage of early shoppers. Yet it is Walmart that is considered evil for this decision.

Bottom Line
    As you’re walking into a Walmart try to remember how difficult things were at the height of our country’s recent recession. By Walmart’s low prices, it’s hard to imagine if there was any other company that was more instrumental in helping Americans manage their household budgets. Still, the self-appointed moral figures on American business forget that offering low prices come at a cost. If it requires generating enough revenue on Thanksgiving so that “little Johnny” can enjoy Tickle-Me-Elmo for $10 less, I ask again – where’s the crime?

What’s more, there is a lot of good that Walmart does for which it gets very little credit – including being one of the country’s largest tax payers while offering jobs and providing American workers with opportunities that they otherwise might not have had. So is opening in Thanksgiving really that egregious after all. I think it is safe to say that there are bigger travesties in the world of business. So can we for now shelve the constant hypocrisy on this issue – at least until Christmas?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Another reason to enjoy shopping at Walmart -- regardless of the time of year -- is the fact it makes all the leftists I know mad.

Granted, maybe not all leftists get mad, but the ones I know...like the ones who wear stuff like this, Diva Zappa, do get mad.

Oh my...it's better than cold punkin' pie!!!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    No thanks.

Thankfully I don't work for CHINAmart, otherwise I'd have to work it so all of these mouth breathing knuckle draggers can buy worthless **** for their snot nosed brats.

Happy holidays :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    No thanks.

Thankfully I don't work for CHINAmart, otherwise I'd have to work it so all of these mouth breathing knuckle draggers can buy worthless **** for their snot nosed brats.

Happy holidays :)

Luckily they have great deals on sinus medications and nostril paper, not to mention bandages for my sore knuckles. :D

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Sure hope no one has to go the hospital on a holiday. No one ever talks about the healthcare workers who have to work holidays as well.

Or what about Meijer? They are open every day of the except Christmas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Several places like stated in this thread already is open on days like Christmas and Thanksgiving. That is their choice. I heard one person today grip about Thanksgiving day sales are taking women away from their families on the holidays and isn't right..my response was it's about damn time!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I love Wal-Mart. It employs more than a million people, makes a profit on slim margins, and saves the average family over $2k a year. The people who hate Wal-Mart have their head in the sand, or are jealous because they could never build a similar business. They should get a clue.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Irony - Walmart gets most of their stuff from China. US manufacturers close, people take lower paying jobs, now they HAVE to shop at Walmart (BTW, not saying anything wrong with this model. If that's where you choose to spend your money, good for you, I just have a different view on some things).

I buy American whenever I can. I voted for a guy who would have brought troops home; there's not much else I can do to get those who serve our country home. That being said if you enlist in the military thinking you're going to be home every holiday, you probably didn't have a very good understanding of the job description. The troops now have been away from home far far too long.

What is the difference between voting for someone who will trample on rights (like Obama) because you're getting money, Obama phones, amnesty, etc., and supporting a company who forces people to come in and work on a national holiday just so you can save money on a TV, or a phone, or whatever? Is not having to wait 9 hours until the normal Black Friday opening REALLY worth it?

Made in the USA Products Directory

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    CVS and Walgreens have been open on Thanksgiving AND Christmas day for years.

But they don't setup a dangerous scenario with throngs of foaming-at-the-mouth shoppers.

I love Wal-Mart. It employs more than a million people, makes a profit on slim margins, and saves the average family over $2k a year. The people who hate Wal-Mart have their head in the sand, or are jealous because they could never build a similar business. They should get a clue.

Here's a clue - not everything is a need. Walmart thrives on one thing - mass consumerism, the belief that everything must be purchased at the lowest price possible, and purchase everything you can - damn the consequence.

It's not good enough to save money on groceries - it's "save* money on everything so you can acquire more stuff you want."

I'm not foolish enough to step in the path of this unstoppable freight train - but I sure enough don't have to climb on board.

* It's not really saving if you're spending. The federal gov't. tries that trick all the time.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I work in a Psych hospital (looney bin, nut hut, etc..)... And this is the FIRST year O have had off for Thanksgiving in the 9 Thanksgivings I have been there, and Im only off for this one as I am on FML for the birth of our son. But that is something I knew going in, that I would work most holidays, spending them dealing with The jail's rejects...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is what I hate about moral busybodies. They're not content with making the choice for themselves to smoke, drink, do drugs, engage in homosexual behavior, or shop at Walmart on thanksgiving day. They want to make that choice for everyone. Tyrants. The lot of them.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Black Friday sales = crack for the stupid. If a business won't capitalize on the weaknesses of the stupid, they don't deserve to stay in business.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    This is what I hate about moral busybodies. They're not content with making the choice for themselves to smoke, drink, do drugs, engage in homosexual behavior, or shop at Walmart on thanksgiving day. They want to make that choice for everyone. Tyrants. The lot of them.

Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night, and Target to open at 9 p.m.

While I understand the retail purpose of the Black Fridays sales, I'm not pleased that these same retailers choose to take away from their employees. There is a larger and more meaningful purpose to such holiday occasions.

That doesn't make me a moral busybody or a tyrant, but it does make me question the character of those that tear at the fabric between a family.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night, and Target to open at 9 p.m.

While I understand the retail purpose of the Black Fridays sales, I'm not pleased that these same retailers choose to take away from their employees. There is a larger and more meaningful purpose to such holiday occasions.

That doesn't make me a moral busybody or a tyrant, but it does make me question the character of those that tear at the fabric between a family.

So boycott those businesses and let others be free to make their own choices.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Most Walmart's don't close on thanksgiving. Starting sales that night isn't a big deal AND it wasn't Walmart's idea, they followed suit with Kmart and Target.

Top Bottom