• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Speaking as a member of the former…this annoys me.
    giphy.gif

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't advocate banning bicycles from roads.

However, it is a simple fact that drivers of gasoline or diesel powdered vehicles pay specific taxes, that are more or less proportionate to the amount of time they spend operating said vehicles on the road, and are specifically designated for use in building/repairing said roads. There is no equivalent tax for time spent cycling on the road.

The implications of this fact may or may not have anything to do with the debate over what the proper way for cyclists to use or not use public roads is. But trying to obfuscate this fact isn't helping.
    It is PAID based on the gallons purchased and collected by the state. Then the state divides up back to the counties based ONLY on the number of cars license plates sold in each county. NOTHING back for pick up trucks.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have (cars/trucks) have mandated insurance, seat belts, airbags, license plates, driver's licenses, etc.

Maybe ALL vehicles on the road need similar (equivalent) rules.
    YES EVERY vehicle on the public road should be required to meet the same requirements, drivers license, license plates, safety requirements, speed and travel restrictions. Including cars, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, ATV, golf carts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I suspect the anger is due more to the fact that 99.99% of the cheesed-off drivers know in their heart of hearts that the cyclists are effortlessly doing something most of those drivers couldn't pull off in a million years

Just the mere presence of someone who can easily ride 20 miles for pleasure is interpreted as fat-shaming
    Maybe we should take a survey. I don’t think jealousy is fueling the cheezed-off drivers already late for some engagement and they’re 7th in a line of cars stuck behind a herd of Lance wannabes. Pretty sure it’s the dickhead factor and not the cyclist’s fitness.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I feel like this thread is on the cusp of going epic. Therefore, I was here.

I feel like the older we get, the more we split off into 2 groups. Those who get annoyed by everything and those who get annoyed by almost nothing. I am actively pursuing the latter.
    You've arrived !

Getting annoyed at having to lift and wait five seconds to get around a cyclist IS being annoyed at 'almost nothing'

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is PAID based on the gallons purchased and collected by the state. Then the state divides up back to the counties based ONLY on the number of cars license plates sold in each county. NOTHING back for pick up trucks.
    Once again, and. I'll. say. it. slow-w-w-ly

I know of no cyclists who aren't children who don't also have cars, probably more than you do

We've. already. paid. our. share

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    Let him who is without (motor vehicle) sin cast the first expletive
    California rolling stops allowed by all. ;-) Boils down to some good 'ole common sense. I lived in Chicago for years and the cars, bikes, and pedestrians are just organized chaos happening in real-time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why don't 'frustrated drivers' take the interstate, which is limited to just their kind of vehicles
    Funny, that's the way I feel about semis that use my residential street to get to their destinations. Unfortunately, there aren't any businesses with loading docks on the interstate.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I’m guessing a lot of people who cycle are laughing at the tax arguments in this thread.
    As a CPA and a cyclist the thread has been interesting to follow.

This summer I road a 100 miles from Fort Wayne to Toledo on old US 24. Never had an unpleasant encounter the whole way and pretty sure I did not annoy/inconvenience any motorist. Rarely do I experience bad situations and I ride with some guys that can be jerks.

At least I am comforted by the fact that for most of the bravado about hitting cyclist I know (hope) that in reality all the INGO members exercise the same restraint about physically injuring cyclist like they do when thinking about pulling their gun.

And for those complaining about cyclist in their lycra kit, here is something to enjoy in your rear view mirror after safely passing this cyclist on your way to go fishing.

liz-hatch-riding.jpg

Top Bottom