• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have noticed that no matter what gun it is from Colt, the thing is expensive. Are you buying the name? What exactly is the best gun made by colt for the money? I would love to have a Colt but dont really want to fork out that much for a handgun. Then we have ones like Kimber and Para Ordnance which have no history like the Colt but yet so dang expensive. Who actually sets the prices on these guns?

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have noticed that no matter what gun it is from Colt, the thing is expensive. Are you buying the name? What exactly is the best gun made by colt for the money? I would love to have a Colt but dont really want to fork out that much for a handgun. Then we have ones like Kimber and Para Ordnance which have no history like the Colt but yet so dang expensive. Who actually sets the prices on these guns?

For the record I do have a Colt that was given to me buy my father. I have shot a Kimber that my brother has, but never even seen a Para.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Not sure on colts but I've shot a few different Springfield 1911s and I can definitely tell the difference between the $600 which I think is the range officers compared to the trp which is about 2000.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Not sure on colts but I've shot a few different Springfield 1911s and I can definitely tell the difference between the $600 which I think is the range officers compared to the trp which is about 2000.

How can you tell the difference? Do they feel different, shoot different. I want to know these things before I really decide on what I want to spend. Seems you have shot some variety and anything you say can only help, thanks.

Tronix3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I think that the market tends to set the price. Seems that there are a lot of new shooters out there so it is hard to even find many of these gun brands in stock, and if you do it seems a good number of dealers are jacking up prices because people will pay. Kimber has gone up 30% over the last 10 years. Good guns are more expensive because they have good parts and construction, plus I dont mind helping pay a bit more for made in America.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    How can you tell the difference? Do they feel different, shoot different. I want to know these things before I really decide on what I want to spend. Seems you have shot some variety and anything you say can only help, thanks.
    there's a few things that can factor in it. Definitely quality of parts, fit and finish and just the overall smoothness of the gun. As far as Kimber goes they're expensive, they look really nice, but recommend 500 rds of break in. Imo if it requires 500 rds of break in, its not worth 1000+. It really depends on your price range on what I would purchase. 6-800 ruger 1911 if you can find one or maybe a used Springfield loaded. 1000 plus colt or maybe a sig. Any higher Wilson combat or a Springfield trp. There's a few other high end 1911s that im not familiar with. Also Taurus and rock island make great starter 1911s

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    there's a few things that can factor in it. Definitely quality of parts, fit and finish and just the overall smoothness of the gun. As far as Kimber goes they're expensive, they look really nice, but recommend 500 rds of break in. Imo if it requires 500 rds of break in, its not worth 1000+. It really depends on your price range on what I would purchase. 6-800 ruger 1911 if you can find one or maybe a used Springfield loaded. 1000 plus colt or maybe a sig. Any higher Wilson combat or a Springfield trp. There's a few other high end 1911s that im not familiar with. Also Taurus and rock island make great starter 1911s
    I have a RI 1911 .45ACP. I love it.

bhvostal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Allen County

I've had a Springfield Armory TRP for about a year now, and have had no problems at all. Of all the firearms that I own, this is by far, my favorite. The reasons are numerous - feel, quality, etc.

I hope this helps.....

~ Brian

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

My 'pinion,an' it ain't law by no means.....Kimber's the most up-talk'd, overrated,overhype'd ,overPRICED gun on the mkt....The Para's ? As good as any out there,bar NONE......Da*n well made piece,and as accurate as anything in it's price range,more accurate than most of the persons that carry anything....take a top/line Para or Springer over the overhyped Kimber junk anyday......' Far as why the Colt's are x'pensive....well....:dunno:......well made piece too,but the name'll command the price.....:twocents:
    :cool:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I've had a Springfield Armory TRP for about a year now, and have had no problems at all. Of all the firearms that I own, this is by far, my favorite. The reasons are numerous - feel, quality, etc.

I hope this helps.....

~ Brian

Same here. My TRP is the best firearm I have owned/carried/competed with.

I do have a Gold Cup, and it's a great gun but it's set up for bowling pins with a comp and >3lb trigger. It was my father's.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    The prices are determined by a variety of factors, some of which have already been mentioned. Colt has a long history of making quality firearms. They also have about as much brand recognition as possible. A 1911 is often called a Colt 1911 even if it's not a Colt.
    Prices are also based on the reputation of the brand. Kimber built a great reputation for themselves a few years ago by building good guns with good parts and cutting-edge features such as rails and such. According to some, their quality-control has slipped a little bit but they are still good guns.
    Cost of manufacturing is also part of the price factor. I don't know about 1911s but I have it on very good sources that a Glock costs about $80 to build and a Classic Sig costs about $240. They sell for much more based on profit, civil liability insurance, advertising costs, etc.
    In the gun world, it is "usually" true that you get what you pay for.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A variety of factors:

1. market demand,
    2. overhead,
    3. the federal excise taxes that you pay.

The prices are determined by a variety of factors, some of which have already been mentioned. Colt has a long history of making quality firearms. They also have about as much brand recognition as possible. A 1911 is often called a Colt 1911 even if it's not a Colt.
    Prices are also based on the reputation of the brand. Kimber built a great reputation for themselves a few years ago by building good guns with good parts and cutting-edge features such as rails and such. According to some, their quality-control has slipped a little bit but they are still good guns.
    Cost of manufacturing is also part of the price factor. I don't know about 1911s but I have it on very good sources that a Glock costs about $80 to build and a Classic Sig costs about $240. They sell for much more based on profit, civil liability insurance, advertising costs, etc.
    In the gun world, it is "usually" true that you get what you pay for.

I will hold these up as excellent explanations and add the fact that Colt has a union which has sodomy down to a fine art. Aside from a dark age in the 70's, quality has typically been very good for Colt and I have been very happy with mine.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Ford, Chevy or Dodge? While the Toyota and Honda last just as long? This is a question that can only be answered by buy what you like and don't look back at what you payed. I bought a Colt because I always wanted a Colt as a kid. I have not been disappointed.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A Colt's a Colt. Worth every penny to me, in quality, looks, fit and function. I like plenty others for sure but I love my Colts. :twocents:

Alot of folks don't realize that that pony is actually a thoroughbred and adds 15-20% value to any gun. My wife never gets jacked about any gun that comes in the shop but when the Python came in she beelined to the case and said, "Is this one of ours??? Can I keep this one??? OMG that horse has got a baton in his mouth!!! Look at the blueing...Why don't your Smiths have the blue like that??? Geary Boy look at those grips!!!!"

It took 10 minutes to talk her down and explain the difference between "consigned" and "ours". :D

There is just something romantic, historical, and beautiful about a Colt. Plus the fact you can be in any part of the world where English is not spoken and say "Colt 45" and everyone will know what you are talking about. They may not know the deatils, but they will at least know it's a firearm.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Alot of folks don't realize that that pony is actually a thoroughbred and adds 15-20% value to any gun. My wife never gets jacked about any gun that comes in the shop but when the Python came in she beelined to the case and said, "Is this one of ours??? Can I keep this one??? OMG that horse has got a baton in his mouth!!! Look at the blueing...Why don't your Smiths have the blue like that??? Geary Boy look at those grips!!!!"

It took 10 minutes to talk her down and explain the difference between "consigned" and "ours". :D

There is just something romantic, historical, and beautiful about a Colt. Plus the fact you can be in any part of the world where English is not spoken and say "Colt 45" and everyone will know what you are talking about. They may not know the deatils, but they will at least know it's a firearm.

Truth! I agree completely and I bet it was tough getting her, or youself to put that snake down! :):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Truth! I agree completely and I bet it was tough getting her, or youself to put that snake down! :):

I was like one of them there snake handling preachers. I had the Diamondback in one hand and the Python in the other; letting them dance around my face. I yelled out, "Get thee behind me serpent...repent yee sins" and "Yea... Pray thee consignee lowers his price cuz my woman sho' likes that there Colt!!!":D

Top Bottom