Why Should I Tip You 18%, When I Only Give God 10%?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A couple of things... people use the internet to voice their disagreements too much. Yes, IMO, if that waiter/waitress posted that, he/she should be fired.

Also, it's policy to automatically add the gratuity to large groups, but most of the time, they service person deserves more, especially when the bill is low. If you have a group of 10, that tip should have been at least $20 even if the bill was only $40. If you can't tip, go to McDonald's.

Lastly, I've been in situations where the gratuity was automacially added for my family of four. if the service was good, I would tell the person that 18% wasn't enough and add more. If the service wasn't good, I would only give what they required.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    A couple of things... people use the internet to voice their disagreements too much. Yes, IMO, if that waiter/waitress posted that, he/she should be fired.

Also, it's policy to automatically add the gratuity to large groups, but most of the time, they service person deserves more, especially when the bill is low. If you have a group of 10, that tip should have been at least $20 even if the bill was only $40. If you can't tip, go to McDonald's.

Lastly, I've been in situations where the gratuity was automacially added for my family of four. if the service was good, I would tell the person that 18% wasn't enough and add more. If the service wasn't good, I would only give what they required.

I read that she took extra care to make sure Applebees was not named in the picture she posted. She should NOT have been fired.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Another thing is that usually the "automatic gratuity" is not entirely given to the wait/service staff. The house keeps a large portion of it, and expects that the diners will tip the staff separately.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I don't give anything to God (because LOL @ church), but this pastor seriously used this as an excuse to be a tightwad?

Was the server not up to their standards? If so, that's a completely different story.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Well maybe because God isn't trying to live on the crap wages that most Wait Staff receive. :dunno:
    I always leave as much tip as the Waiter/Waitress is worth in my opinion.
    Often 18% because many of them give good service to us [STRIKE]old farts[/STRIKE] "Experienced Citizens." :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well maybe because God isn't trying to live on the crap wages that most Wait Staff receive. :dunno:
    I always leave as much tip as the Waiter/Waitress is worth in my opinion.
    Often 18% because many of them give good service to us [STRIKE]old farts[/STRIKE] "Experienced Citizens." :D

This.

If I have my soda/tea filled when I want it and server is nice, they get a good tip. I think percentage is stupid though...if I get an $8.00 salad and spend 2 hours there drinking sodas, do they deserve $1.44 (18%)? They obviously deserve a lot more.

What if I get a $100.00 meal and spend less than 30 minutes in there without getting a drink refilled? In that case a $15.00 tip is plenty, IMO.

If I'm watching a game/fight and I drink 3-4 beers at a bar/restaurant, then I leave a 100%+ tip.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville

THIS. And I am a former server. Serving is a PITA and people just don't get it. There is a reason why I am not one any longer.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Having been a server for 4 years, I can relate to this. The restaurant I worked at didn't do gratuity at all, so if I had a table of 12 high school kids, I was lucky to make $4 an hour with them squatting. People don't realize that the hourly wage for tipped employees in Indiana is still the same as it was in 1991, $2.13 an hour. I agree that serving is a job everyone should try at some point in their lives so they can understand what it's like busting your ass only to make less than minimum wage because of people like this pastor.

I worked the busiest restaurant on the busiest nights and was one of the best servers and on average I made $10 an hour. My cousin is in Los Angeles doing much less work than I was and can make $1,000-2,000 a weekend in tips alone, and still gets $8+ an hour wage.

Que said it best, if you can't tip go to McD's, or hell get your food to go!! People are despicable.

Avar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    As a pastor, this infuriates me. I usually give around 20% if the service is decent. When people at my church make comments like that, I remind them the server didn't ask them for 15% of their paycheck!
    As my mom and dad taught me, "If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the meal."

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    What if I get a $100.00 meal and spend less than 30 minutes in there without getting a drink refilled? In that case a $15.00 tip is plenty, IMO.

The only problem with this though is the amount of time you spend there, doesn't dictate at all how much work your server might do for you. If you're demanding and there for 30 minutes, he/she might make more trips for you than 2 other tables. The bill is used as a % base because the higher the bill, normally the more work they do (I'm sure you knew that already).

Another thing, people who squat have no Idea how to tip, Benny kinda has the idea. If your bill is let's say $40 but you're there 4 hours, your tip should be equal to what you would've tipped multiplied times 4. Normal turnover = 30-45 minutes but let's round up to an hour. So I could've had 4 tables in the time you spent there. Basing that off of 10%, 1 hour = $4 x 4 = $16. Now you can argue what you think is a standard tip percentage wise and do the math yourself.

Food for thought. Servers (good ones) have great memory's, so remembering a face of a terrible tipper is as easy as remembering a great tipper. Also, they are allowed to refuse service. :)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    What am I missing here?

The woman paid her bill including the 18% gratuity but was displeased about having to do so and voiced it. I'm failing to find the hypocrisy here. Is it hypocrisy because she's a minister? Why? Are ministers held to a higher standard? Isn't that the same bs the left does to the conservative right?

Heck, she even goes on the tube and apologies. She's better than me because I wouldn't have apologized. It's childish to bring your grievances to YouTube.

If this was a sales rep who said, "why am I paying 18% when I think 10% is more appropriate?" this is a non-issue.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The only problem with this though is the amount of time you spend there, doesn't dictate at all how much work your server might do for you.

I completely agree. I thought I made that clear (in more words than one) in my post, but maybe not.

Time + work > cost of meal. That's all I was really getting at.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    What am I missing here?

The woman paid her bill including the 18% gratuity but was displeased about having to do so and voiced it. I'm failing to find the hypocrisy here. Is it hypocrisy because she's a minister? Why? Are ministers held to a higher standard? Isn't that the same bs the left does to the conservative right?

Heck, she even goes on the tube and apologies. She's better than me because I wouldn't have apologized. It's childish to bring your grievances to YouTube.

If this was a sales rep who said, "why am I paying 18% when I think 10% is more appropriate?" this is a non-issue.

I think this story has legs because people abhor hypocrites and people tend to react when they find a supposed Christian acting with hypocracy.
    AS WELL THEY SHOULD.
    I know this guy, who never condemned cheaters, liars, prostitutes but had the harshest words for the hypocrite.

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.
    “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.
    “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
    “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.
    You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom