• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I can count on 1 hand how many times I've shot "store bought ammo" in the last 20 yrs for .223-never, 30-06-2x's, 9mm 2x's. Now I do buy my carry ammo for the 9mm but I dont shoot it up regularly, it gets carried for a while then replaced.

The .223 I've had for about 5yrs. bought it to go prairie dog shooting, worked up a load for it and thats all I shoot, actually I have 2 loads for it 55g fmj and 60g v-max.

The 30-06 is for a M1 Garand. I've bought a couple of ammo cans of surplus to get the brass, now I just buy the brass if I find a good deal, surplus bullets are you friend.(cheap plinking)

9mm- Ive casted bullets for this the last 3yrs, I think I've bought plated bullets once in that 3 yrs. the wheel waights I use were left at the house I bought by the priviouse owner( about 1 1/2 55 gal drums worth)

Last edited:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I reload better rifle ammo that is tailored to the individual rifle. It is an easy way to get better accuracy, and it is a fun way to spend some time.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :yesway: i've been reloading awhile. like the other post said careful or you'll get addicted.... you can save money, custom make your own ammo, enjoy a good part of the shooting hobby, and spend more time at the range. i've had a rcbs rockchukker along time, it and the dies work like i bought em yesterday. get your gear, some good reloading manuals and your off. have fun :):

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Don't do it!!! You'll spend thousands and thousands and spend all your time in your basement or walking around ranges picking up brass like some homeless hobo looking for spare change. Run now, if you keep asking questions they will suck you in like they did me! Run.....

Oh thats CHOICE!!! LMAO!! It is so absolutly true...all of it... but I would do it all over again. Reloading is beyond cheaper...it is an enjoyable and calming hobby for me. Will I ever make up the investment cost of equipment, accesories and so forth incurred for my set up compared with what I save in loading my own... probably not. But I have already surpassed the cost with the enjoyment and satisfaction I get out of doing it. Ahhhh to be in harmony with the smell of gun powder and a loading press...:):)

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I went to the range yesterday....fired 5 shots and then spent over an hour picking up other peoples brass, lol. There is nothing different from brass and coins. Think of it this way:

9: $0.03
    40: $0.04
    45: $0.06
    223: $0.10
    308: $0.30

Do you lean over for a nickle? A piece of brass is no different when you reload.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I went to the range yesterday....fired 5 shots and then spent over an hour picking up other peoples brass, lol. There is nothing different from brass and coins. Think of it this way:

9: $0.03
    40: $0.04
    45: $0.06
    223: $0.10
    308: $0.30

Do you lean over for a nickle? A piece of brass is no different when you reload.

I have been known to go to the range with LadyGhost and pick up brass for an hour or two and then just want to head home. LadyGhost will insist that is she is going to spend all this time and effort picking up brass by god she is going to shoot SOMETHING! but usually ends up shooting the P-22 so she doesn't have more brass to pickup! :laugh:

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    well let me tell you why i reload, i enjoy it . when you cant find a factory load that groups well enough to suit ya you sit down in your own little world just you ,the radio playing your favorite tunes,and your press , i pull up my 2nd favorite (INDYGO #1) website and study loads for the caliber (s) im loading for.Load up 4-5 test rounds of several loads i want to test, Next go to the range and shoot those test rounds, and when you see those 1/2or 1/4 in groups out of the rounds you have loaded thats satisfaction in itsellf. I personally get more of a thrill punching paper or hunting with the round I made.the past few years the thrill of the hunt has been dwindling now it is back because i listened to a couple good friends who told me it was cheaper to reload, some calibers yes and some not so but you do get your accuracy

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Definatly I have looked into presses and as soon as I can get time to go to a class and learn a little more I think I am going to make some investment into it and I do appriciate all the info after I learn this I am maybe gonna try to cast my own bullets that sounds kinda cool also.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

121744.jpg

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA

622290.jpg

Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Deluxe Kit - MidwayUSA

661032.jpg

Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 45 ACP - MidwayUSA

242098.jpg

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 45 ACP - MidwayUSA

I would highly recommend starting with either a single stage press, or with a turret press. You can purchase either from Lee in kit form.

My first press -- the one I still use -- is a Lyman Turret. I started with the Lyman press, secondhand .45acp dies from Lee, and a powder scoop set, also from Lee.

I still have the same basic setup, but with an automatic powder dropper added, the ram prime deleted (a hand primer is faster), and I threw on a universal decapping die because the one in my decapping/resizing die broke when I hit an off-center flash hole.

If I were you, I'd get the Lee Turret Kit up yonder, and the set of dies which includes the factory crimp die. Usually not needed, this die does come in handy if a round is out-of-spec. That way you don't have to disassemble it, but can run it through and make it work. It's the quick'n'dirty way, but it works.

A good reloading manual is essential. I'd recommend the one from Speer. Read it from front to back.

After you've done that, give me a call. I live about 1.5 hours from W. Lafayette and will be glad to come assist you when you go to load your first round.

I insist on being very careful. That would mean I'd ask you to get Accurate #5 powder as it was developed for the .45acp and it's easy to see a double charge. Leave the faster powders, like Bullseye, alone until things are second nature to you.

I'd show you how to resize cases and pop out the old cap, then reprime. After that, you'd drop powder into each case and put it in an old ammo tray for visual inspection.

You'd then seat and crimp the bullet using the seating die, and drop each loaded round into a 1911 chamber to make sure it's in spec.

Going fast with a turret press and my original setup, I could kick out 50 to 100 rounds per hour. Not a lot, but more than sufficient.

Going slowly, I can kick out 25 to 50 per hour. This is allowing for time to inspect every aspect of a loaded round. I only do this when accuracy is of the utmost importance, like for a match. I do not do this a lot.

I have a couple, few tricks I'd show you as well to make things a bit easier.

Let me know.

Regardless, you won't regret reloading. :rockwoot:

Josh

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Re: why reload

It is cheaper to reload, if you have the time. I enjoy it, gets me away from the wife and kids for a bit from time to time. Set up an area just for reloading and nothing else. The initial upfront cost is expensive. Don't buy junk reloading equipment! For me it's relaxing focusing on that and not all the other B.S. life has to offer.

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    LOL!!! Now......That depends on how you define...."DISTURBED".

It......It....could be a good thing you know!!!!

Sooooo.......What are we doing tomorrow BRAIN??

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another nice thing about reloading is that it gives you the option of shooting what you want to shoot when you want to shoot it. About a year back, when .380 was nonexistant, I was shooting a ton of it at under $5 a box. .380 is among the easiest and cheapest to reload for.

You can also buy components in bulk and just reload as needed. It's also a great way to kill those boring winter evenings when there's nothing to do. I do still shoot a bit of commercial stuff but hate the fact that when I do, I have no idea what powder I'm shooting or what load. It's like the difference between just driving a car and knowing your way around an engine. Most folks can drive a car, but someone that knows engines may enjoy it more, knowing exactly what they are driving. Reloading lets you feel the difference between powders and there's a lot of satisfaction in finding exactly what your gun likes.

BTW, if you think reloading is addictive, try reloading for Mosin Nagants. It's a double addiction but it sure does make you feel good when the old rifle fires a nice tight group because you are using a bullet that matches the rifling.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    +1 to everyone on this thread!

Go for it. Reloading gives you a better understanding of your favorite hobby.......and allows you to save a ton of money or shoot a ton more. Either way you slice it, it's a win.

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Top Bottom