• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobertathan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    The safety only being a decocker is incorrect. It is also a disconnect from the trigger. If you pull the trigger with the safety in the fire position you will notice a box lift up from the slide in front of the rear sight. That box is a firing pin safety that does not disengage unless the trigger is pulled. The manual safety is a decocker yes, however, it is also a trigger disconnect and it also rotates the pin that is placed in between the firing pin and the hammer. So basically while the safety is engaged you can not accidentally pull the trigger, and the hammer will not accidentally hit the firing pin. This safety makes it impossible for the firing pin to move even when dropped or kicked around.

bobertathan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Yea... big problem with composite framed guns and military use would be the abuse the some moron soldier would put the weapon through. Not all soldiers are smart when it comes to weapons maintenance and care. Hell even in training when you have all the time in the world to maintain your weapon I have seen soldiers during mobilization training that did not clean their weapon once. The Beretta stood up and took the abuse but what about a composite gun? Would it take the abuse of being used as a hammer or the abuse of being dropped and kicked around for years? Then again when you qualify in a training site its not uncommon to have an entire company line up and have an M9 sitting in each lane to be used by everyone that hits that lane. I am not sure a polymer gun would be able to take this abuse. I like my 92FS and I stand by them. But I do agree the military M9 is one weapon that has lived its life well and survived abuse for way too long.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The thing I love most about my m9 is the sight picture. The single center dot rear sight makes lining up so fast and accurate. Just my opinion. Doesn't work for everyone but works damn well for me.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I note that the 92FS has a half cock. Would it be inadvisable to carry as such (half cocked, safety off) and one in the pipe?

I am also curious if the red dot sights on the INOX are hard to visually pick up in certain lighting conditions?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I note that the 92FS has a half cock. Would it be inadvisable to carry as such (half cocked, safety off) and one in the pipe?

I am also curious if the red dot sights on the INOX are hard to visually pick up in certain lighting conditions?

The 1/2 cock I intended to be a safety, not a ready position. You'll note that the trigger stops at the same place whether fully decocked or half cocked, so you are not making the trigger any easier to reach. Don't do it.

-rvb

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I never carry chambered unless the safety is on in any gun, hammer cocked or not.
    In the Beretta's case, I carry chambered but with hammer at home and safety on because of that dumb decocker.
    Just have to practice your quick draw and double action first pull. When you get it down pat, it'll be second nature. That's how I've trained so that's how I like to carry.
    When I carry any other handgun, I have to always consciously be reminding myself that its not the Beretta

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a Beretta 96D and 92FS. I prefer the 96D, but really like the 92FS. The only complaint about the 92FS is that the manual safety works bass ackwards.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The pistol is large and you need large hands and/or long fingers to operate the pistol. Anyway, that is the reason I sold mine. I have short thick german hands/fingers.

Same here. I shot it plenty of times in military qual, but I never did grow fond of it. It's not bad, it's just that there are better options for the budget-- whether that's a cost budget, size budget, or weight budget.

TWFMB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    I love mine. It is accurate and reliable. Shoot it a lot, but carry a Glock 26 or 30SF. 92FS and 1911's are two of my favorite shooters, but both are heavy for everyday carry. I do enjoy carrying them every once in a while.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I owned a 92FS for a while. It was a good gun. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger, was extremely accurate and I never had a jam. Now, the reason I sold it? The grip frame was just too big for my average-sized hands. It was hard to get to the magazine release button with my thumb - in order to do so I had to rotate it a bit in my hand, and then rotate it back after inserting a new magazine. I just never got used to that, so I sold it (traded it, actually).

If not for the size of the grip frame I would still have it today because I really do like the pistol.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    It's not a bad gun, it just doesn't really shine in any way. It's been inferior to the Browning Hipower since always, and is outclassed by almost any of the modern poly guns.

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I love the beretta 92fs/M9. I shoot it better than any other pistol I have. I would never consider for daily carry though. To big for that. I carry a Kel Tec PF9 on my ankle for daily carry!

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have a Beretta Border Marshall.. This is an excellent firearm but in my case is way to big for an EDC. But it stays right on my night stand every night.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I actually like my 92FS a lot. I purchased the 92FS last fall used at the Greenfield Gun Show. The gun is a VERTEC model in Stainless Steel. The VERTEC was manufactured for about four or five years in the early 2000s. It is basically the 92FS with a shorter barrel and a modified alloy lower with a smaller grip than the standard 92FS. This allows us with smaller hands to better grip the weapon. I really like the feel of the metal lower. The lower gives me a sense that the gun is more substantial than plastic lowers. The VERTEC takes the same magazines that fit into the full sized 92FS. The weapon has operated perfectly. It has nominal recoil because of the weight and balance. And I really like the 1911 like controls on the weapon. It was not purchased as a carry weapon but as a night stand gun. I carry a much smaller Sig P938.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    It's one of my favorite hand guns of all time. I carried one for years, but switched to Glock. Not because I didn't like the Beretta. I just like the Glock more. Glocks are my favorite hand gun.

Here's my 92fs. I carried a 92D, but didn't care for the DAO trigger.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I owned a 92FS for a while. It was a good gun. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger, was extremely accurate and I never had a jam. Now, the reason I sold it? The grip frame was just too big for my average-sized hands. It was hard to get to the magazine release button with my thumb - in order to do so I had to rotate it a bit in my hand, and then rotate it back after inserting a new magazine. I just never got used to that, so I sold it (traded it, actually).

If not for the size of the grip frame I would still have it today because I really do like the pistol.

If that was your only complaint, why not just flip the Mag release button, and use your trigger finger to drop the mag? My full size carry gun of choice is either a 1911, or a hi-power, both of them having a comparatively more slender grip than the 92. My wife has, and carries a Taurus copy of the Beretta, and having smaller hands than I, had issues dropping the mags in her pistol. I switched the mag release for her, and now its a very intuitive operation when reloading, instead of the rolling the pistol in your grip maneuver that you just described.

Top Bottom