• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    As short a time ago as the late 90's California required all of those nasty black guns commonly refered to as assault weapons to be registered. Within two years I believe it was bans were passed and the state knew right where they were.

:ugh:

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    I see registration as a first step towards gun banning. The state will simple be keeping count of who has what for when (the anti-gunners hope) the day comes when guns are outlawed.

This.

I for a while felt the same way as the OP, but Mackey i think is right on this. Registration does not help reduce murder rates or make it harder for the BGs to get weapons.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    This.

I for a while felt the same way as the OP, but Mackey i think is right on this. Registration does not help reduce murder rates or make it harder for the BGs to get weapons.

I dont necessarily feel any certain way, i just didnt know why registration was considered so horrible. Now i do, thanks guys! :yesway:

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I agree with all of the posts thus far. There is another viewpoint to this topic. Criminals do not have to register their weapons. That is against their fifth amendment rights. That has actually been ruled upon by the courts.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    ever plead the 5th? A criminal accused of any crime has the right to NOT incriminate himself. I.E. register his weapon (tool used in crime) as it would be self incrimination. If he used a registered weapon then the court would see this and it would be a brain dead case. If the perp didnt register it he would simply state that by doing so would have incriminated him...and violated his 5th amendment rights...a bit askew i know..but look at the beating the constitution has taken lately at the hands of lawyers and the supreme court. Wouldnt be much of a twist to get this to work. All youd need is the right person and the NAACP/ACLU behind them.

Maybe we should worry more about the drunks who kill as many people as criminals with firearms. Or perhaps the Methamphetamine producers making poisons KILLING CHILDREN. But no...thats so passe. Why save children from drugs. They wouldnt have died if guns were outlawed.....

Simply put, registration let the likes of Hitler and Mussolini know where the weapons were, if not in the hands of those they trusted, and made it easier to remove them. A jew with a hunting arm was disarmed while a nazi youth was allowed to have multiple arms for the sake of "Neighborhood safety" and Militia training.

Registration is bad..simply put. The next Hitler or Hillary/Pelosi that comes along can easily disarm the public before the public has the chance to envoke its other right.
    The right to REVOLT.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I see some states have it and some do not, but most people here vehemently disagree with it. Why? I'm being genuine here; I'm new to guns so I'm genuinely curious.

This response is directed to advocates of registration, not necessarily the OP. How about someone make a credible showing of why it's necessary instead of demanding that we prove it's not? In other words, show why it's a great or even good idea.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "Registering guns will help prevent/solve crime because we all know that the first thing criminals and people with criminal intent will do is go to the police station and register their guns."

If you can't see the illogic there, you're beyond help.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Do you register kitchen knives?
    Do you register baseball bats?
    How about chain saws?
    Or power tools?

Those are all dangerous items that have killed people in the past.
    A good case could be made for registering them but we don't.
    No one even talks about it.
    They only talk about registering guns.

I wonder why?
    hmmmmmmm...

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Question: when one buys a gun, aren't their serial numbers and names recorded? Isn't this pretty much like a registry anyways?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The sale is recorded on the Form 4473. The dealer retains the form. The call goes in to the NICS. All records from the NICS call must be deleted/destroyed daily. When the dealer goes out of businees, all records are forwarded to the ATF.

It is psuedo registration in my mind. And VERY VERY few real crimes (armed robberies, assaults, and shootings) are solved by tracing this information.

It's a method the government uses to hold power over the dealers and not much more. If anything. Ever.

Top Bottom