• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I know for obvious reason why its more comfortable but im not talking about it that way.

Im talking about whether or not you keep one in the chamber.

Whenever i open carry (Blackhawk Serpa) i always keep one in the chamber and a full mag but whenever i decided to conceal carry (BlueEagle Custom Holster) and never put on in the chamber. Im just not as comfortable with it. When you think about it theres only an inch differance between open carrying and conceal carrying but i just cant get myself to CC with it chambered. I carry a G19 and the no safety doesnt really bother me when i OC but for some reason i just feel like im gonna snag the trigger when im putting my gun in my holster or pulling it.

Am i going crazy or what? Anybody else think this way?

Btw im not trying to open another thead of OC vs CC or Chambing or Not Chambering

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For me, the difference is between the slide digging into my side and not digging into my side. Plus, when I OC, I usually have my shirt tucked in behind the holster so there's an added layer there.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Carry the way you are comfortable.

One in the pipe or not is up to you. Don't be swayed by what others tell you to do or not do. If you are not comfortable don't do it.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I feel more comfortable with one in the chamber. I want it at the ready. God forbid I ever need it I don't want to waste any time. The less things I have to think about the better. G22 with one chambered and full mag. Just point and shoot :twocents: Do what feels right for you :yesway:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thats the thing when i OC i feel perfectly comfortable with one in the chamber but when i CC i just cant do it. If there was an AD i feel like id have more of a chance of shooting myself in the leg then i would if i was OCing.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    turnerdye1 said:
    ... Am i going crazy or what? ...
    Probably, yeah.

Sounds like the jury has reached a verdict ! :dunno:

You'll get comftorable to have one in the pipe as soon as you realize that the gun can't go off if it's in a quality holster. Besides, in a scuffle you may not have your off-hand available to rack the slide...you might be protecting yourself from a knife or a bad guy.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Sounds like the jury has reached a verdict ! :dunno:

You'll get comftorable to have one in the pipe as soon as you realize that the gun can't go off if it's in a quality holster. Besides, in a scuffle you may not have your off-hand available to rack the slide...you might be protecting yourself from a knife or a bad guy.

Thats a really good point. I just bought a new holster, got it today in the mail actually. Im gonna take it out to the range and practice with it a bit before i carry with it. Its seems well built and is extremely comfortable

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I carry a G19 and the no safety doesnt really bother me when i OC but for some reason i just feel like im gonna snag the trigger when im putting my gun in my holster or pulling it.

Am i going crazy or what?

Yes, that is crazy...why would you be putting the gun in the holster? I mean, it should already be in the holster when you affix it to your belt. And the Only reason I can think of to pull it out would be to use it in time of need. Natural pull of the gun would not cause a snag to depress the trigger, especially if you always extend your index finger, resting it along the slide.
    I've learned to condition myself and understand that it is not a toy to take in and out of the holster to look at or show friends. It's there as a form of protection of your life and those around you.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yes, that is crazy...why would you be putting the gun in the holster? I mean, it should already be in the holster when you affix it to your belt. And the Only reason I can think of to pull it out would be to use it in time of need. Natural pull of the gun would not cause a snag to depress the trigger, especially if you always extend your index finger, resting it along the slide.
    I've learned to condition myself and understand that it is not a toy to take in and out of the holster to look at or show friends. It's there as a form of protection of your life and those around you.

Maybe thats what im doing wrong. I usually put the belt and holster on and then put the gun in. That could fix my problem right there.
    BTW..i never pull my gun to show friends or anybody really

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Maybe thats what im doing wrong. I usually put the belt and holster on and then put the gun in. That could fix my problem right there.
    BTW..i never pull my gun to show friends or anybody really

:yesway:
    On both of my carry guns, they haven't left their holsters since they were last cleaned and reloaded. They go to their secure locations while in the holster or on my person.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You need to be practiced in drawing from whatever method you will normally carry which means practiced in reholstering as well.

Practice with a snap cap until you are comfortable that you aren't going to negligently cause a discharge. After a few hundred repetitions without a click, you might decide it's OK to carry that way daily.

If you choose to still carry unchambered, make sure to practice racking the slide somewhere during your draw via alternate methods besides having both hands available.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Looks like its finally time to invest in some snap caps :yesway:

I havent been able to carry a whole lot because of school but now that im out ill make sure to get a lot of range time in / practice drawing and reholstering

Are there any good Carry classes? or like Basic Pistol classes?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I used snap caps a whole lot during practice and it really helped. During training, I've missed the holster, snagged the gun on clothes and even dropped it, but the trigger has never pulled. Just keep practicing until you feel comfortable.

I carry a G19 everyday in an IWB holster and have never had a single issue.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Carrying with one in the chamber is an acquired taste for many people. Took me a long time to work up to it, but once I realized that I had been cocking my pistol, (to check that the chamber was empty,) before I carried it every day, and it had never gone "click" while carrying....that was when I finally got around to carrying +1.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My g26 stays in the holster all day long if you have to remove it because it is not comfortable you need a deffrent holster. For me the cheap IWB nylon holster form $10.00
    Is the most comforable for me. I can drive hours and walk for hour and it don't bother me at all. From dayone I have one in the chamber

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Im probably gonna stop taking it out the holster when im done carrying. Just leave it in and only take it out to clean it. Ill order some snap caps soon and just start practicing. Unless somebody wants to donate me a few 9mm ones ;)

Both of my holsters are great quality and are comfortable for me so im not too worried

Top Bottom