• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLzYLlCmNcE[/ame]

:38 is when the camera shots get really interesting. Passenger has a lovely view; see it at :42

Mr88GT did a similar crash test with a Cadillac. Pretty much same results.

And then just for morbid train-wreck-watching fun: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRkPyuet_o[/ame]

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I don't know how to drive a car. I owned a 86 Cherokee as my first vehicle, then a 93 F-250, now an 06 2500. My parents have owned 2 cars since I was born. I can't stand riding or driving in them. I cannot see ANYTHING from a car. It is so low and I use parking blocks for their intended purpose (IE I hit them to know when to stop,) can't do that in a car. Plus I tow my Toyota around on a trailer too often, and I always use my bed. What do you do if you need to run and get a couple 2x4's??? I don't know what I'd do, I will always own at least 1 truck, I MIGHT at some point decide to get something smaller to daily drive but I will have to keep a truck around also.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Wow... Truck hood to car roof compaction... That's why I have an F350 Diesel and not a little Smart car...

Although... I'm not sure if you can call it a Smart car???

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah SUVs are way saffer than little cars, it's not like they can roll over easily.

res-colseadoe-vehicle.jpg

Dont think that you are saffer because you drive a big truck, or even a very big truck, especially at high speed.

Hummer_crash.jpg

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    sylvain, this is about vehicle collisions. while rollovers are possible during a collision, you didnt grasp the idea entirely. if you dont drive like an idiot, you most likely will never roll a SUV / truck.

as for my SUV hitting another person, if it were head-on, i would honestly feel bad if it were a car. theres about 400 pounds alone of front bumper +winch up there. 3/16ths or 1/4 inch steel plate. forget which.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wow... Truck hood to car roof compaction... That's why I have an F350 Diesel and not a little Smart car...

Although... I'm not sure if you can call it a Smart car???

7.3, 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7?

Funny enough, I saw a crash test of one of the Smart cars too. The car itself remains in one piece better than the typical crumple-zone construction vehicles. But the lack of energy absorption by the vehicle means the passengers get it all. And that makes for bad results. Besides, trucks like ours would probably just drive up over the Smart cars. :D

Yeah SUVs are way saffer than little cars, it's not like they can roll over easily.

res-colseadoe-vehicle.jpg

Dont think that you are saffer because you drive a big truck, or even a very big truck, especially at high speed.

Hummer_crash.jpg
    Somebody has an inferiority complex.

Speed-induced roll-overs are an entirely different beast.

F=ma. I like my 9000# odds better than yours. ;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because you hit so much **** while you are driving that a little car wouldn't last you a day :dunno:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Take that back! :D

But you got the **** label right. An Avalanche and a Caddy. ;) And to be fair, I wasn't driving and both of them pulled out in front of Mr88GT. So not his fault either.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    sylvain, this is about vehicle collisions. while rollovers are possible during a collision, you didnt grasp the idea entirely. if you dont drive like an idiot, you most likely will never roll a SUV / truck.

as for my SUV hitting another person, if it were head-on, i would honestly feel bad if it were a car. theres about 400 pounds alone of front bumper +winch up there. 3/16ths or 1/4 inch steel plate. forget which.

Roll overs are more likely to happen with SUVs than with any other type of cars and they dont happen just when you drive like an idiot.
    If your SUV gets hit from the side you will end up on the roof and it will more likely collapse.

I just think that many people who drive big SUVs have a false sense of security.
    Ask any firefighter, say have seen any kind of cars flattened and destroyed after a serious accident.
    Thinking that nothing can happen to you because you drive a "big truck" is just silly.

hummer-crash-small.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you want the safest vehicle to drive, you drive a Volvo. I drive a truck because I haul a bunch of crap and need a tow vehicle. I drive a Corolla because it gets 40+mpg.

Trucks and big vehicles aren't any safer because they are larger. Some are safer than others because they are engineered to be so, but just being bigger isn't safer.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    OK, picture yourself in that SUV that rolled over. Not mashed much. You'd probably be ok, right? In a car that got crosswise of an SUV, maybe not so much. Then you bring a picture with a school bus. I know a lot about school buses. Not much short of a train or a semi truck or a building is going to get over on a school bus. Those little [bad word] are going to be ok.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The point is that it is all relevant. Truck vs subcompact can be just as bad as semi vs truck. It's physics. Size and weight (mass) determine which object "wins". Statistically, there are more cars than anything else, so a truck is a very safe bet when it comes to collisions. If everyone drove tractor trailers then a truck would be little security...

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    How about new vs old?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U[/ame]

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The point is that it is all relevant. Truck vs subcompact can be just as bad as semi vs truck. It's physics. Size and weight (mass) determine which object "wins".

That's incomplete physics. There's also impulse=F*T, and a few other equations that all factor in to make F=M*A less relevant than many believe.

The safest vehicles on the road today are not the biggest and none of them are pickup trucks. Of the top ten, only 3-4 are SUVs.

Volvo, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, BMW, and Subaru own the top. Not only are they safer in crash tests, they are safer in the features they have that improve stability, traction, and driver visibility because I don't know about any of you, I'm going to FIRST worry about avoiding a crash, THEN worry about surviving it.

And kinda like shooting, the nut located behind the steering wheel is STILL the biggest variable and I work on my defensive driving all of the time.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I WISH I drove a huge truck with ginormous tires that was super high off the ground.
    Night before last, I hit... a skunk. He faked left and dodged right. I took the bait and swerved just in time for him to change course...and BAM!!! KaThunkThunkThump.
    I'm still not parking in my garage.

Kraor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Knox County
    I am a firefighter and have seen fatalities of car vs. truck and car vs. crossover. One in particular i remember is a dodge RAM 2500 (i think) vs Ford Escape. 2 guys in the escape 1 in the RAM. The driver of the escape fell asleep and crossed center hitting RAM head-on as RAM driver tried to swerve right. Both were killed in escape, RAM driver walked away. Sitting up higher seems to make a difference from what Ive seen, but its just one persons observations...

On a side note, i get to revisit that and another fatality on the same stretch of road each day as I pass the roadside memorials that the family or friends deem necessary to commemorate the terrible spot of their passing... i still dont understand why anyone would want to remember where on the highway they lost their loved one.... i would think it would be better to do something to remember them where they enjoyed life, not where it tragically ended.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I LOVE my truck. We always take it on our longer trips. I feel it is safer than my other vehicles, and I certainly enjoy he capacity, visibility, and comfort.

While an SUV, and even a truck, is easier to roll than a car, it is MUCH harder than you think. I've actually TRIED to roll my old Jeep. No luck. A longer-wheelbase truck is even more stable.

To be honest, in a collision I want to maintain as much of my momentum for as long as possible, all other things (safety equipment and the like) the same. Let the other guy dissipate that energy.

Top Bottom