Why, how, and when did you start carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm starting this thread just to expound a little on my first few months experience carrying, and looking to hear other people's stories as well.

I'm 22 years old and since graduating high school I've lived in 8 different states for one reason or another. Simply put, I didn't spend enough time in any one place to get a carry permit. Plus most states draw the line at 21, unlike Indiana.

I came back to Indiana last September and decided to get a LTCH. It was pretty simple, and doing the electronic finger printing I got the permit within a week. I studied up on gun laws and self-defense laws and bought a G19 from another INGO member. Thus began the adventures.

My brother carries sometimes and we have a life long friend that carries as well. Both of them CC, so that's how I started out. It took awhile to get used to it. Every time I went somewhere my mind would always be on keeping the gun properly covered and hoping nobody noticed. I did find that I was more courteous and friendly to people, and while not changing my normal behavior, I was looking to avoid conflict. I only wanted to pull the gun when it became absolutely necessary. I learned to keep an observant eye on people and typically avoided high crime areas (I live in Indianapolis).

By the time winter rolled around, I didn't leave the house without my trusty glock. Most of my friends didn't know I was carrying and I preferred to keep it that way. The few times I had to go somewhere I couldn't carry, thus leaving my gun at home, it felt very uncomfortable, physically and mentally. I had gotten used to having the gun on me, and mentally it was a little disturbing knowing that my only line of defense were my fists, so to speak. I had yet to have a single person say anything of noticing my glock.

This spring, after doing a lot of reading and considering, I started to lean towards the idea the CC is pointless. Along with all the CC/OC debate on INGO, I was reminded of a few things.

1. Criminals can't see the concealed gun either. I wrote a research paper once that basically dove in to the idiocy of gun control, and a few of my major points were the studies and interviews with criminals that all basically said the same thing: Criminals are afraid of guns. Whether it be an armed citizen, armed house owner, LEO, whatever...the extreme large majority of criminals will not willfully put themselves in a position against another armed person. With that in mind, it just started to make sense to me to have some deterrence, and I have no doubt that BG's will avoid an OCer more often than a CCer.

2. I also realized I no longer cared if people knew I was carrying. I'm not breaking the law, I'm not crazy, and I know I have a reason to carry. Plus I'm not the type of guy to worry about making someone uncomfortable. I would rather be the person that makes something, like guns, more comfortable to a person that hasn't had much exposure to it.

3. It is unbelievably more comfortable to carry a G19 OWB. I don't care which way you slice it, I couldn't make CC with an mtac minotaur nearly as comfortable as an itac paddle holster.

These days I pretty much OC at all times, unless I have to go somewhere that has a policy against carrying. In those times, I make the sacrifice and pull out the IWB holster. I hear a lot of bad stories and experiences from people about OCing...problems with cops and what not. I've had some security guards at grocery stores, and cops look at me funny, but never said a word. So far the worst I've gotten is being asked to leave my gun in the car when I walked in to a waffle house at 1am a few days ago. I didn't feel like arguing with the guy, even though it took him 2 minutes to find the sign that said no guns allowed. I was on my own, so I walked out and ate somewhere else. -1 for waffle house on I-70 and Post road...

Anyway, now that I've babbled on for awhile...I can say that most of my experience carrying has been very positive. INGO has been a big help, with ideas and discussions that have helped me become comfortable with carrying, to the point that I truly prefer OC now. I don't see myself not carrying anytime in the future. Its a responsibility I take seriously, but I wouldn't give it up. I firmly believe that every responsible gun carrier in this country is a positive force.

I'm interested in reading some other stories, so lets hear it :popcorn:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have been carrying for about two months now. I still feel like I have a flashing sign on my back that reads "GUN" but I am getting used to doing it. I carry whenever and wherever I can. When I do go out without it I feel like I am missing something and still want to adjust my shirt or jacket even though its not there. I havent had the "nuts" to OC yet but I know someday I will.

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    I have been thinking about OCing. I started CCing as soon as I got my LCTH almost a year ago but wanted to make sure I was comfortable just caring before I started to OC. I am going to OC soon, maybe tomorrow. on a side note.... you couldn't pay me to eat at waffle house at 70 and Post

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    I have been carrying for about two months now. I still feel like I have a flashing sign on my back that reads "GUN" but I am getting used to doing it. I carry whenever and wherever I can. When I do go out without it I feel like I am missing something and still want to adjust my shirt or jacket even though its not there. I havent had the "nuts" to OC yet but I know someday I will.

That is a good point. I dont have that paranoid "everybody I have a gun" feeling anymore, but if I start to OC I will get that feeling again. I know i will get comfortable with it in a few weeks but I still hate that feeling.

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I am relatively new to the "carry" experience and still have that paranoid feeling that has been discussed. From what I read in these posts that will take care of itself in time. It has been interesting reading the thoughts and experiences of everyone regarding cc/oc. Here is where I feel really strange when comparing with others' experiences - when wearing jeans, I find pocket carry (642) to be most comfortable. Why is this not a good thing? I would really appreciate hearing opinions.:dunno:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I started carrying just before my first child was born. I started getting into pistols at that time and began to think more and more about being a father and the precious life coming into the world that I was responsible for protecting and raising. I decided that I must have the ability and tools to protect my children.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I started carrying just before my first child was born. I started getting into pistols at that time and began to think more and more about being a father and the precious life coming into the world that I was responsible for protecting and raising. I decided that I must have the ability and tools to protect my children.

^^^ This is mainly the reason I carry as well. I feel that I am responsible for the safety of my wife and two kids.

I CC by the way, as my son is only 3 and I want to wait till he is a little older before I start OC so he can fully understand the "talk" that we will have regarding firearm safety. I slip some discussion in every now and then, but I know that he can't grasp the seriousness of it yet, being only 3.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and I both got our LTCH in January of '09 We did it as more of a political statement than anything else. Sort of a " Just because I'm not exercising this right, it's still my right and you can't have it." kind of thing. Shortly thereafter, I began to realize that my age was slowly becoming a factor(By the way, it's tough to admit that you're getting old). I no longer had the strength and speed I once had, but I still had, and do have, the obligation of protecting myself, my wife, and when they are with us, our daughter and grandaughter
    After some gun store trips and a 1500 show, and another gun store trip, we had our first carry pistol, and another quickly followed, along with training. We now both carry.(although my wife often relies on me to carry when were out together) We practice, and enjoy shooting together as well. :yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another "for the family" thing here, I guess.

Why: I finally realized that *I* was responsible for my family's safety. Now that we have a little one, we can't just run away from every little thing (or big thing). It was more of a mindset change than a tool change. I'm not looking to shoot anyone (I'd still rather avoid it), but there is NO WAY my wife or daughter is going to be harmed.

When: I'm in my late 30's (for another month, at least), and haven't really been "into" guns. Shot a few when I was younger, but my folks never let me have one. Mom was anti-gun, and dad just wasn't able to teach me (that's another story).

A couple of years ago, we finally bought a house and started thinking about a family. Kinda of a "wake-up" moment, and we decided to get more prepared for about anything. Self and family protection is part of that.

How: I bit the bullet (so to speak) at a 1500 and bought my first carry gun (XD40SC) and cheap IWB holster. I was WAY nervous when I first started to carry. Mostly because that cheap IWB barely concealed (printed something awful) and didn't hold the gun very tight. Top it off with being uncomfortable, and I almost gave it up.

Then I learned the joys of OC, and haven't looked back! I still conceal when it is more appropriate (my sister's wedding, for instance), but have gotten very comfortable just being me (and armed). It helps that my wife and her family support me 100%, and my family is neutral at worst. It also helps that I have NEVER had a negative OC reaction. OC has actually been a pretty good conversation starter, even with LEOs.

Current setup is my XD40SC in either a Supertuck (for CC) or Fobus paddle (for OC). I need a better OC holster, so am on the hunt. I've even thought about "upgrading" the whole getup to a 1911 with appropriate holsters. If I'm going to OC, it may as well look pretty!

As an aside: My wife also has her LTCH, but has not quite gotten "there" with the idea of her carrying. She sticks to OC spray when out, and we have several home protection firearms she is quite comfortable using.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Officer and Gentleman.........by Order of The President.

About 43 years ago, right after Cpt. Blivett said,"OK people listen up!" " Your Benevolent Uncle has decided that you should be issued one of his precious Model 1911 A-1 sidearms. While I do not necessarily concur with his judgement of your character or abilities, I have nevertheless been tasked with ensuring that you DO NOT shoot yourself in the foot,thus damaging Government Property". That was when I began to carry. :cool:

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I started as soon as I got mt LTCH. I OC and CC depending on the situation.

I had long guns all my life (53 YO) but decided to buy pistols as the current regime has spent the USA into oblivion. IMHO, at some point the freeloaders are not going to get what they are used to getting and I wnat to be ready if TSHTF.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Another "for the family" thing here, I guess.

Current setup is my XD40SC in either a Supertuck (for CC) or Fobus paddle (for OC). I need a better OC holster, so am on the hunt. I've even thought about "upgrading" the whole getup to a 1911 with appropriate holsters. If I'm going to OC, it may as well look pretty!

If you like paddle holsters, I use an itac defense and I love it. Holds the gun solid with a push button retention release. I've also heard the Blackhawk serpa is good too. :twocents:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I got my LTCH in '89 when I turned 21. I usually CC, but here in the last year I've started to OC every now and again. I really didn't know OC was legal until I started reading INGO.
    I got my LTCH because my Uncle and Cousin that were my role models when I was growing up always had one. It just seemed like the thing responsible adults did.
    After I got my LTCH I realized I was right EVERY RESPONSIBLE ADULT should have one.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    This is gonna sound really dumb, but, coming from me, y'all should be used to it.

Anyhoo...it all started way back in the early 90s. Seemed Uncle Sam wanted my narrow arse to go over to participate in Desert Shield/Storm.

While there, I grew accustomed to walking around heavily armed all the time, and I liked it. I liked the feeling of having the playing field level...like I could take care of myself if I had to.

Confidence.

When I got home, I felt kinda naked and defenseless. I didn't even own any personal firearms at the time, so I bought a S&W 39-2 from my wife's uncle and got the LTCH.

It's been downhill ever since...

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    About 43 years ago, right after Cpt. Blivett said,"OK people listen up!" " Your Benevolent Uncle has decided that you should be issued one of his precious Model 1911 A-1 sidearms. While I do not necessarily concur with his judgement of your character or abilities, I have nevertheless been tasked with ensuring that you DO NOT shoot yourself in the foot,thus damaging Government Property". That was when I began to carry. :cool:

I think I heard a very similar speech in 1964
    I didn't learn a quickly as you did I waited until 85 before I began to carry.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I began carrying about 12 years ago after witnessing a homicide. As the fight quickly escalated, a 45 was pulled and several shots were fired. I ducked for cover behind a freezer in the kitchen and the only thing I had for defense was a glass coffee pot. After all was over and the bg ran away(side note : he was later caught and is now doing 64 years in the service of the State, and bubba) I realized if he had wanted to get rid of witnesses, a coffee pot wasn't much of a defense. I got my LTCH and have carried ever since. This spring I realized that carring wasn't enough and got some defensive training from ACT. +1 for these guys.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    I've been carrying for 1 month longer than my daughter is old, so almost 2 and half years now. Also it doesn't make it hard to figure out why I started carrying, like so many of us when you realize you have more to protect than just yourself it's no longer an option, it's smart living.

I still CC but never leave home without it, even when I know I can't take it in with me I've got a sweet lockbox that that cable locks to the bottom of my seat frame in the car, comes in handy. I've been considering OC but just haven't taken that last step, plus the Galco Miami II Classic shoulder holster I want is a bit costly.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I started carrying last year. I carry mostly IWB these days, but I was on an OC kick for the longest time. I really only carry IWB because Im not ready to tell my future mother-in-law that I carry. I filled out the application and did the finger printing on one of my last days of high school. I actually ditched my internship that day because that was the only time I could get the finger printing done. I had already graduated earlier in the year and was only doing electives and my internship, so it seemed less important.

Why? Like many others that is an interesting and life altering story. I was mugged a few years ago and fought back. I wound up with a fractured jaw, and saw more of my own blood than I have ever seen in my entire life combined. Among other things like seeing how poorly the justice system worked, I determined that I would NEVER be a victim again.

Top Bottom