• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have this come up regularly in my daily life. I have 4 kids and make $12 an hour and dont take any assistance. It takes living within your means and planning. Our kids are not taught that name brand or retail clothes are anything more special than hand me downs. Its really about teaching your kids that the great things in life arent things but the experiences they gain with their family and friends and learning to take of themselves. There nothing more rewarding as a parent than to have your toddler tell you that there is no need to buy new when something breaks but to fix it. I had my 4 year old tell me that last week and then he brought me his plastic bob the builder toolset to fix the broken fan LOL:)
    I must disclose that we arent the typical family. We homeschool and grow much of our own food and refuse to pay payments for anything. It really comes down to mindset. I can see the other side but as for us the more smiling well adjusted citizens that can come out of our home the better. TO each their own though. Just my .02

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have been told by many people that I would make a good father. Preachers, random people and a bunch of others. I just see the deck stacked so much against our kids having any kind of future I would want them to have.

And how would now be any different than any other time in history?
    There is always something.
    Fighting Nazis.
    Kids in the cold war hiding under their desks.
    Liberating the country.
    One way or another, there is always reasons not to have a kid.
    To think now is any different than any other time in history though??

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    When I hear good people talk about not wanting to bring children into the world because of the problems the world has, that always makes me wonder -if everyone who is a decent person and would make a good parent thought that way, the only people left in 75 or 100 years will be the bad ones.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I don't regret any of the sacrifices or the heartaches over the years from my 3. Being a parent is truly the toughest job you will ever love.

I think it is sad so many couples don't want to go to the trouble or expense to experience having a family. Seems kind of selfish to me but if that is the attitude maybe it is better that they don't have them.

Let the state clone all the kids and raise them to be sheeple. That way all will be free to drink, ski, cruise and spend their entire income on themselves.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I know how to fish. It's the catching part that seems to elude me. I live right off the White river. Still can't get a straight answer about if I'm allowed to wade through there or not. :D I keep hearing about how people will be throwing things at us. But, I still don't trust that. I have a very small family. Sister doesn't have kids and never will. Dad is dad so won't count on that. As for how old I am, I'm 35. Very late to be having kids I know.

Jason

I was 38 when my son was born. I am now 41 and considering another in the next 5 years....but my girlfriend is 12years younger than I too. :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not having kids is selfish?

Kids or no kids, each is a choice driven by what a person or couple wants. Damn selfish either way, and neither to be frowned at as long as they shoulder whatever responsibilities go with their choice.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I have a grown daughter and two stepsons. The best reason I can come up with to justify their births is that they have produced six grandsons for me to dote on and spoil. My daughter married a great man who I consider to be the son I never had.I can't imagine growing old without any of them. (Daughter, stepsons, son-in-law and grandkids.

As far as what kind of world they'll inherit; who knows. It'll be tough, and much different than the one I grew up in, but I'm sure all of them are glad to have been born, and I doubt any of them hold me or my wife responsible for it.

Just be sure that if you have children, make sure you "raise" them to be good citizens, not just produce them and let nature take its course.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I'm in the "never having kids" group.

Too many people on this planet as it is. Plenty of wonderful kids living their childhoods out in foster care that would love to have a permanent home, so IF that clock ever kicks in, adoption is the way we're going to go.

I have no desire to have some creepy thing moving around inside of me for 9 months, nor do I have the desire to push it out of my vagina (or be cut open to remove it), or to have milk being released from my boobs.

Ew. The whole process is just gross.

Combined with a hereditary autoimmune disorder, a love for travelling, and a love for sitting in absolute silence, and I have some perfectly good reasoning for not wanting any...

:D :D :D :D

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    I'm in the "never having kids" group.

Too many people on this planet as it is. Plenty of wonderful kids living their childhoods out in foster care that would love to have a permanent home, so IF that clock ever kicks in, adoption is the way we're going to go.

I have no desire to have some creepy thing moving around inside of me for 9 months, nor do I have the desire to push it out of my vagina (or be cut open to remove it), or to have milk being released from my boobs.

Ew. The whole process is just gross.

Combined with a hereditary autoimmune disorder, a love for travelling, and a love for sitting in absolute silence, and I have some perfectly good reasoning for not wanting any...

:D :D :D :D

LOL..... I must laugh because the things about having babies that you don't want to go through I enjoyed the most (minus birth) Feeling the baby move around was the best and I love when they had the hicups! I love the closeness of feeding my kids and holding them.

I think adoption is great too, and a wonderful idea if you have health problems you are worried about.

I must say though that you have made a wonderful choice if you LOVE silence. Silence is a rare thing in this house!! ;)

Top Bottom