• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have never shot a Glock but just don't understand the "Glock beats all" mentality. Personally, I like a gun that not only functions they way it should every time I pull the trigger, but also looks good and is comfortable to hold. I don't really like the way a Glock looks, but maybe that is just me. I know how it is to be brand-loyal (Harley-Davidson motorcycles) but I was just curious about the Glock obsession.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    People own guns for different reasons.
    If the firearm is to be used as a defensive tool, I don't care :twocents: what the gun looks like. Function is paramount.
    Collecting and/or sporting uses have their own priorities.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glocks are the Honda Accord or McDonalds of firearms. They are best at nothing, but are generally good at everything. They are consistent. They represent the 'no thought' solution to EDC. Like a Honda, they will do the job they are designed to do, but with little fanfare. Are there more accurate guns out there? Sure. Are there better looking guns? Of course. Are there more reliable guns? Again, yes. But, Glock is good enough at all of those to make it popular. They used to be a standout in terms of reliability but are now just one of many brands that sport the same value. They are as common as dirt and enjoy one of the biggest selection of holsters out there. In the end, why not Glock? They may not be the best at anything, but they are far from the worst at all things combined.

BTW, I carry a either a Glock 23 or 1911. No reason to tie yourself to one gun if you can practice enough to be competent with more than one.

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Better question, why not a Glock? If you don't like them then move on to what ever you like, but there will be haters of what you like so why are you worried about it. You like what you want and others will like what they want, me I like most all guns. I don't really care if you like Glocks, Smith & Wesson, Springffield, Hi-Point or what ever, it affects me not.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This popcorn is so stale I don't even want any...

Glocks are just as awesome, cutting-edge, and innovative as they were 25 years ago... but it's no longer 25 years ago and Glock is no longer alone in their niche.

Pretty much this. Add to that the fact that I have holsters, gear and around 50 or so mags and it makes it tough to switch to something that MAY be a little better in some way.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Glocks are like 1911's you cant have just one. I have four and love them all. I have fired 1,000's of rounds with no issues. I also love Sig, S&W, colt, and the list goes on and on. The worst gun I ever saw was still awesome. :cool:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was just curious, and honestly trying to stir the pot a little. I don't really care what you like and why, I like certain things and can't explain "why" but I just do. I understand the reliability factor, but there are many other semi-autos that are just as reliable.

Again, just stirring the pot...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I was just curious, and honestly trying to stir the pot a little. I don't really care what you like and why, I like certain things and can't explain "why" but I just do. I understand the reliability factor, but there are many other semi-autos that are just as reliable.

This is true. My Ruger SR9c has 1000 rounds through it with no problems. Just like a Glock. But I paid $100 or more less for my gun. You just have to decide what is important in a gun when you make YOUR choice.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Well... Terrific.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is true. My Ruger SR9c has 1000 rounds through it with no problems. Just like a Glock. But I paid $100 or more less for my gun. You just have to decide what is important in a gun when you make YOUR choice.

And your Ruger is a bit more attractive as well. My sister has one and if I were a fan of the 9mm I would own one. Not a Glock.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

You ask us why the Glock obsession, but then come back with a reply that you don't really care what we like and why?

:rolleyes: :n00b:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glocks are the Honda Accord or McDonalds of firearms. They are best at nothing, but are generally good at everything. They are consistent. They represent the 'no thought' solution to EDC. Like a Honda, they will do the job they are designed to do, but with little fanfare. Are there more accurate guns out there? Sure. Are there better looking guns? Of course. Are there more reliable guns? Again, yes. But, Glock is good enough at all of those to make it popular. They used to be a standout in terms of reliability but are now just one of many brands that sport the same value. They are as common as dirt and enjoy one of the biggest selection of holsters out there. In the end, why not Glock? They may not be the best at anything, but they are far from the worst at all things combined.

Pretty much. Also, I can carry a subcompact, or a compact model using the same holster, and the same magazines. I can buy gear and parts just about anywhere, the whole gun detail strips with a punch and they just work.

I probably like them for the same reason my grandfather who was a mechanic loved Chevy 350 engines. They would just run, and on the rare occasion they did not, they were easy to work on and you could pick up parts just about anywhere.

Pretty much this. Add to that the fact that I have holsters, gear and around 50 or so mags and it makes it tough to switch to something that MAY be a little better in some way.

This too. My investment & familiarity makes it difficult to switch to anything else. I've tried other things, but always found my way back, even from the much praised M&P. Nothing really wrong with the M&P some Apex parts would not have fixed, except I'm getting to old for new tricks.

Agreed... then just buy a 2nd (spare) of your carry gun and a few dozen mags, and a few thousand rounds and move on with life.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Jagee, for the last maybe 10 years, there is no more 1 king of the hill. Close your eyes and pick one of the major brands and you'll have a reliable, accurate weapon...that has a better chance of fitting your hands. So do not get caught up in hype.

You have options. FNX, H&K, Sig, M&P, CZ75. Albeit, a few have robbed Glock of many design features. Thus leveling the playing field.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    This popcorn is so stale I don't even want any...

Glocks are just as awesome, cutting-edge, and innovative as they were 25 years ago... but it's no longer 25 years ago and Glock is no longer alone in their niche.

agreed. i have shot several but cant make myself buy one over other guns i like better. Although I will get a used 17 or 19 eventually.

Top Bottom