• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I want a .308, you can have all them new fangled Creedmore, Grendal's 6.5, 6.8...et al........give me a good old 7.62x51 (.308) wanting one now, but all the bolt guns I can find are right hand...I shoot lefty....

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I want a .308, you can have all them new fangled Creedmore, Grendal's 6.5, 6.8...et al........give me a good old 7.62x51 (.308) wanting one now, but all the bolt guns I can find are right hand...I shoot lefty....
    I am a lefty, i have been converting to left handed bolt guns for a while now, always looking for more though, i have them in 308,30 06, 6.5 creedmoor,6.5 x284, 260 remington, mostly savage, tikka and ruger 77's. there out there and seeing a lot of new ones on GB. also have semi autos in 308, 6.5 creedmoor and the 30 06 but they aren't considered lefties but still shoot fine for me!!!!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Seems like the argument is "because it's .30 cal, and it's everywhere"

If I had a bunch of access to free surplus .308 I might be swayed.
    Since I'll be sharing with the fudds and the like, I too will stick with .30-06. AP also seems to be more available. Allegedly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought my first for a possible hog hunt next feb. As a lefty, I encountered a LH Ruger American for a good price and pounced.

Since .223 is my biggest round, I started looking at an upper in 6.5 Grendel for my AR, but quickly realized that the round really didnt take off and its only available from one ammo manufacturer. And pretty much only 100% mail order. How long until they decide they arent selling enough ammo to be worth it?

THen I realized for the exact same price (actually a few bucks left after tax) I could get the American in 308 and buy ammo at pretty much any store that sells ammo. No, its not semi auto, but since its a LH gun I can make a follow up shot pretty quickly.

Yeah, its a "grandpa caliber" but its solid.

And of course that means my next rifle will be a M1A. LOL

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I started looking at an upper in 6.5 Grendel for my AR, but quickly realized that the round really didnt take off and its only available from one ammo manufacturer. And pretty much only 100% mail order. How long until they decide they arent selling enough ammo to be worth it?
    You really need to stop spreading misinformation. Hornady, PPU, Wolf, Federal, Nosler that's more than one. I have bought it at several gun shops and even Cabelas, Heck, could have bought it at Cabela's recently but didn't.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I can't justify a 308 in central Indiana , nowhere that's not a 2+ hour drive to actually shoot at distance and I don't care what the State of Indiana thinks , if it's bad enough I am in the woods looking for food to kill , a 5.56 will drop anything in this state.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You really need to stop spreading misinformation. Hornady, PPU, Wolf, Federal, Nosler that's more than one. I have bought it at several gun shops and even Cabelas, Heck, could have bought it at Cabela's recently but didn't.
    Interesting. When I looked all I could do ts was One brand. And none on the shelf :dunno:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Interesting. When I looked all I could do ts was One brand. And none on the shelf :dunno:
    I use Ammoseek.com when I can't find ammo locally. Lots of 6.5 Grendel on there right now.
    I have one .308, a H&R SB2-D30 single shot rifle. I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods for $169.00 w/scope. It shoots Winchester Deer Season XP into about 2 1/2" @ 100. It doesn't see any use as I mostly hunt public ground. H&R SB2-D30 .308  right side.JPG
    I am thinking about a PSA AR10 to start learning about AR10's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For a fairly long time I wanted a .308. After I met Carlos Hathcock I became interested in a bolt action in .308.

But as time went on I realized I wasn't going to use it other than on a range. I don't hunt anymore and I'm not going to become a sniper.

I have a .35 Rem in a lever action that I could use for 100 yard +/- shots if needed.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To me, in the context of the original video. 308 and 30-06 would be considered equivalent.

Yes I realize that with modern powders 30-06 can be loaded past what 308 can handle.
    But in the context of the Army 30-06 and 308 were considered to be equal.

The video is aimed at people that have 5.56 as their largest caliber.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or you could go real old school and get an M1 in .308. Have one and love it.
    That thought has crossed my mind. Had a Garand for a while and the only complaint was the ammo. A 308 version would be ideal for me... Old school but using modern ammo. And as I recall, you dont have to worry about bending op rods with the wrong 308 ammo.

Top Bottom