Why don't we see more women in the Tactics and Training forum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I think when confronted and the discussion is brought up the average woman is much more likely to take training than the average man, but someone has to bring it up to them. It doesn't seem to be something they intentionally seek on their own without some form of outside motivation.

Exactly! We aren't wired that way I guess. I post plenty of stuff on my Facebook about guns and 2A and carrying. I've made the offer plenty of times that if ANYone (man or woman) is interested then I will help them pick out a gun, take them to the range, help them find training, etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Exactly! We aren't wired that way I guess. I post plenty of stuff on my Facebook about guns and 2A and carrying. I've made the offer plenty of times that if ANYone (man or woman) is interested then I will help them pick out a gun, take them to the range, help them find training, etc.
    Have your friend look up SCCC at IUPUI on Facebook. We are probably going to be "raffling" off a free pistol course in a month or so for people who attend our educational events. No investment required other than to attend our events (guest speakers and such).

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Have your friend look up SCCC at IUPUI on Facebook. We are probably going to be "raffling" off a free pistol course in a month or so for people who attend our educational events. No investment required other than to attend our events (guest speakers and such).

found it, liked it, will share with her also. I wouldn't mind coming to educational events (one of the best things I did was attend a free gun law course put on by Indy Gun Safety)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    found it, liked it, will share with her also. I wouldn't mind coming to educational events (one of the best things I did was attend a free gun law course put on by Indy Gun Safety)
    We're still working on laying events out and getting further support, but we'll be kicking off a recruiting campaign in coming days in the mean time.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    How are the barricades identified and how do we get around them? How would you market training to women to make them more comfortable with taking classes?

My two cents? The barricades are going to vary with the woman.

--With moms, the idea that they are the protector for their kids when their dad isn't around is probably a good way to market.
    --For women without kids, they need to be of a mindset that they are worth defending and someone else won't always be around to do that. Unfortunately, if they don't already believe they are worth it, no amount of marketing is going to change that.

The fuel for my training is partially that I refuse to be a victim, but more motivating yet is the belief that I will allow no one to come and hurt my kid. I want to be as prepared as possible should there ever be a need for me to act.

I have taken several classes. Love the learning and the critiqued trigger time. With only one exception, they have not been the "women's only" variety. To be completely honest, I'm actually a little turned off by the label. Other women probably want that, even *need* that kind of "specialized" focus, I'm just not one of them. Then again, those who know me might say I'm ....different.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

--With moms, the idea that they are the protector for their kids when their dad isn't around is probably a good way to market.
    --For women without kids, they need to be of a mindset that they are worth defending and someone else won't always be around to do that. Unfortunately, if they don't already believe they are worth it, no amount of marketing is going to change that.

The fuel for my training is partially that I refuse to be a victim, but more motivating yet is the belief that I will allow no one to come and hurt my kid. I want to be as prepared as possible should there ever be a need for me to act.

I have taken several classes. Love the learning and the critiqued trigger time. With only one exception, they have not been the "women's only" variety. To be completely honest, I'm actually a little turned off by the label. Other women probably want that, even *need* that kind of "specialized" focus, I'm just not one of them. Then again, those who know me might say I'm ....different.

What is it about women's only training that turns you off to it?

May I ask where you've trained and what you thought of it?

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg

Could that be from a stigma that women should not do this type of thing? Society has a way of making people feel this is not classy or it is beneath them.

The fuel for my training is partially that I refuse to be a victim said:
    This is how more women should view training. In a class I was in, the instructor said he wanted women to train with him before they had encountered any problems.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    What is it about women's only training that turns you off to it?

May I ask where you've trained and what you thought of it?

The "women's only" turnoff for me? I believe there is as much variety within the sexes as there is between. There are some very strong women and some very weak men....smart/dumb, big/little, etc. I see no reason that we can't learn in the same classroom, and sometimes, it is that variety that makes it even more educational. To be fair though, I attended one of women's trainings that IJW organized with HandK and it was a ton of fun.

For my first firearms training, I took some advice from a friend and called Coach. I arranged for a private class for me and my kid. It was a fantastic experience, and exactly what I needed.
    Since then, my training has been primarily with ACT: Defensive, competition, low light, one hand manipulation. I've also had several other one-on-ones with Coach to address some specific needs, including a session coming up in a couple of weeks to work some shotgun into my training.

Looking forward to the opportunity to work with a few other trainers that I've found while "frequenting" the Tactics and Training forum. ;)

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Could that be from a stigma that women should not do this type of thing? Society has a way of making people feel this is not classy or it is beneath them.

This is how more women should view training. In a class I was in, the instructor said he wanted women to train with him before they had encountered any problems.

I think it's exactly that ^^ society tells women (girls really, as we're growing up) that guns are for boys, nice girls don't do this or don't do that. Now there seems to be the misconception that only 2 types of people carry guns: LEOs (and therefore male) or "bad" guys (and therefore male). I have NO problem with anyone knowing I like guns and carry. None. I don't know exactly how to pull down the barrier there other then women who do carry need to encourage other women and help them to see how it's beneficial to them and their families to at least consider getting training and getting a gun.

I fully believe every new gun owner should take some sort of class. Get at least a basic understanding for what you're handling and the ramifications of it. The NRA Basic course was a good start but the instructor was sure to only address the legal ramifications after he had concluded the NRA portion of the course. I think realizing the responsibility of what you're capable of is just as important as learning to hold the gun properly or to squeeze the trigger or whatever :twocents:

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The "women's only" turnoff for me? I believe there is as much variety within the sexes as there is between. There are some very strong women and some very weak men....smart/dumb, big/little, etc. I see no reason that we can't learn in the same classroom, and sometimes, it is that variety that makes it even more educational. To be fair though, I attended one of women's trainings that IJW organized with HandK and it was a ton of fun.

I believe you are correct. Variety can make training more educational. Everybody was a beginner at one point. People can learn from someone's weakness as well as someone's strong points.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    First, I want to thank the participants of this discussion.

At ACT, we try not to market our classes in a way that would inhibit anyone from at least asking for more information. We also don't have any gender specific sessions. I don't want to treat a student as anything or anyone other than just that, a student and hopefully, friend.

If we were approached to do a "ladies only" class, we would, but reluctantly.

As the demographics of firearms training shifts, we ARE seeing more females showing interest. We are also seeing a significant rise in families interested in training together as the less traditional gunowners enter the market.

Top Bottom