Why don't we see more women in the Tactics and Training forum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Well I for one am getting back into firearms after a few years away. But I've set the goal of doing an Appleseed next year (ammo permitting at this point) plus I have a new female shooter to help out. I read but if I don't feel I have something useful to add, I don't post

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Well I for one am getting back into firearms after a few years away. But I've set the goal of doing an Appleseed next year (ammo permitting at this point) plus I have a new female shooter to help out. I read but if I don't feel I have something useful to add, I don't post

Well, I'm glad to see you here. There is still a lot of time left this year for that Appleseed. :-)

Have you gotten your new female shooter to join the board? We need more representation from the female portion of the population.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I don't notice too many of our female members frequenting the Tactics and Training section. Why do you think that is?

Ok, serious post... :eek:

I think most training classes seemed to be marketed toward males. Probably not on purpose. Therefore I think you see less of them posting about it.

I think a lot of "Women Only" training helps give them more confidence and possibly opens the door to more training in the future. I know my first class the ego was getting in the way. You don't want to be the worst person out there. But after the first class, it doesn't matter anymore. Training is about yourself, not others in the class.

I think more females would be posting in here as more of them start down the training path. And Appleseed is one of the training opportunities that does a great job of getting everyone involved.

Maybe we should be asking the ladies what things hold them back from getting training? I've seen some in classes so I know it does happen, but it definitely needs to be more.

Oh, and this too
    Perhaps because you cannot always tell a poster's gender based on their screen name.
    :+1:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Well, I'm glad to see you here. There is still a lot of time left this year for that Appleseed. :-)

Have you gotten your new female shooter to join the board? We need more representation from the female portion of the population.

I considered trying for Appleseed this year but the ammo situation puts a cramp on that right now.

Oh yes, she's been a member for a while. She just hadn't bitten the bullet and bought herself a gun yet. My next step is taking her to the range and working with her. Which she's dying to do lol

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    My husband and I signed up for an April 21st Appleseed in Atlanta. Still looking for magazines for our Marlin's. Did manage to secure some ammo. Looking forward to the experience.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ok, serious post... :eek:

I think most training classes seemed to be marketed toward males. Probably not on purpose. Therefore I think you see less of them posting about it.

From my perspective, that's part of it.

I think a lot of "Women Only" training helps give them more confidence and possibly opens the door to more training in the future. I know my first class the ego was getting in the way. You don't want to be the worst person out there. But after the first class, it doesn't matter anymore. Training is about yourself, not others in the class.

I've never cared much for ladies' only, but there are times (see below) when being the lone female is uncomfortable. Being a female in a male dominated hobby is not something that bothers me normally.

I think more females would be posting in here as more of them start down the training path. And Appleseed is one of the training opportunities that does a great job of getting everyone involved.
    Perhaps. But I also think that for most women, the training is entirely utilitarian in purpose. Some of you guys make training a recreational sport. ;) I probably still wouldn't discuss training anymore than I discuss going to the grocery store. Unless I really like it and want it to become a recreational sport for myself too. :D

Maybe we should be asking the ladies what things hold them back from getting training? I've seen some in classes so I know it does happen, but it definitely needs to be more.

Funny enough, I was thinking about this the other day. I think the training forum comes across as clique-ish and boys' club-ish. It is not a welcoming atmosphere to women. Particular those who are still getting their feet wet when it comes to firearms. I mean, if someone like me, who's been carrying for 10+ years and inserts herself like she did into an online forum with a 40 bazillion to one male:female ratio, thinks that there's a overbearing male-ness in the training forum, what do the women who aren't comfortable with firearms or being the only (or one of two or three) women in a group of men, going to think?

I know it's not the intent. I'm not criticizing. It is what it is because we (women) aren't involved and participating. And I can't say that I have any ideas for a solution. Mr88GT wants to do an Appleseed this year. And I really, really, really want to take a force on force class. If I can make that happen, maybe I'll be hooked like the rest of you and start posting more too.

It's kind of a chicken/egg conundrum. Would more women participation in the forum lead to more women in training? Or is it going to take more women in training to get more women in the forum? It is hard to post if you don't have any experience to share. It sort of limits conversation.

Perhaps because you cannot always tell a poster's gender based on their screen name.
    That never happens.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't notice too many of our female members frequenting the Tactics and Training section. Why do you think that is?

In large part because we don't have that many women training. I wish that would change. My wife likes to shoot, and does it quite often with me, but doesn't have much interest in taking a class. Of course when she has me to teach her, why would she?:D:rolleyes:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Excellent input 88GT, thanks for the reply.

So, another question. How are the barricades identified and how do we get around them? How would you market training to women to make them more comfortable with taking classes?

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    How are the barricades identified and how do we get around them? How would you market training to women to make them more comfortable with taking classes?

That's a good question. I've been sitting here trying to think about it. I think the answer is somewhere in figuring out why the ladies on here are attracted to shooting. I remember when I told my mom we were going to the gun store. Her immediate assumption was that someone was bothering me so I "needed" a gun. I explained that no one was bothering me and I shouldn't have to haul my husband around with me everywhere. I like knowing I have the means to protect myself, my home and my kids. THAT is something that most women should be able to understand.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That's a good question. I've been sitting here trying to think about it. I think the answer is somewhere in figuring out why the ladies on here are attracted to shooting. I remember when I told my mom we were going to the gun store. Her immediate assumption was that someone was bothering me so I "needed" a gun. I explained that no one was bothering me and I shouldn't have to haul my husband around with me everywhere. I like knowing I have the means to protect myself, my home and my kids. THAT is something that most women should be able to understand.
    Most women I've come across that were interested in training were so for those reasons. Those with families and particularly children are typically more motivated to learn. Most women I've worked with have already been victims before making the decision to seek training and they are also motivated and take it a bit more serious.

But, as to why more women don't...:dunno:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Most women I've come across that were interested in training were so for those reasons. Those with families and particularly children are typically more motivated to learn. Most women I've worked with have already been victims before making the decision to seek training and they are also motivated and take it a bit more serious.

But, as to why more women don't...:dunno:

Well I think that too many women lean on the society "norm" of men protect, women nurture. The thing more women need to learn is that we can protect AND nurture at the same time. THAT's the hook for pulling more women into classes. My best friend just purchased her first gun. She's going to take at least a basic pistol class, even if she doesn't already know it. I'll take it (again) with her if she wants. I'll match her class for class on whatever she wants to take. I want to take an NRA RO course through the range we just joined. But I'm not typical I guess :dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well I think that too many women lean on the society "norm" of men protect, women nurture. The thing more women need to learn is that we can protect AND nurture at the same time. THAT's the hook for pulling more women into classes. My best friend just purchased her first gun. She's going to take at least a basic pistol class, even if she doesn't already know it. I'll take it (again) with her if she wants. I'll match her class for class on whatever she wants to take. I want to take an NRA RO course through the range we just joined. But I'm not typical I guess :dunno:
    I think when confronted and the discussion is brought up the average woman is much more likely to take training than the average man, but someone has to bring it up to them. It doesn't seem to be something they intentionally seek on their own without some form of outside motivation.

Top Bottom