• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    One pic is my crude drawing of a typical post type sight and the other is what I see when looking through the peep at a target. Any ideas why my eye distorts the top of the post like this?
    Not sure why my pics are laying on their side.
    Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 6
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 5

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I dont know and this is just a wild guess... but my red dot gets distorted when I look through it with my non dominant eye. It gets more fuzzy.

Are you cross eye dominant?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The smaller the peep the less distortion you should get due to astigmatism. Unfortunately the smaller peeps block light and dim your target. There's also a minimum peep size but it's gets complicated to explain. I'll dig out my old college optics books if you want. :cool:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I dont know and this is just a wild guess... but my red dot gets distorted when I look through it with my non dominant eye. It gets more fuzzy.

Are you cross eye dominant?

sometimes***, I'm a lefty and right eye dominant. I shoot pistols left handed most of the time so there I am cross eye dominant. However, rifles and archery I shoot right handed. Back in the day, I shot pool primarily right handed but won a few bucks playing guys left handed.
    Hop, no need to dig out textbooks, I was just kind of curious about the odd distortion of the post.

Thanks, Matt

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    [Terrible]Astigmatism.

I fixed Mr. Dave's comment above.

You need to call Dr. Gordon Boyd in Crawfordsville (765) 362-3209, and get scheduled. Tell him what you are seeing, and why it matters, and he will know just what you mean. He will fix you right up with a script to correct for the astigmatic error in your eye's lens, and leave you feeling better about why your groups on paper are so terrible.

Pro-tip: have them do retinal photography. It will not likely be covered by your vision insurance, and so will cost you a direct $20-30 charge, but the OD can keep them on FILE in their system, track changes in your retinal health, and usually avoid dilation. None of the above can be done with dilation...it's a one-and-done.

Dr. Boyd. Do it now. :)

-Nate

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I know I have astigmatism but I thought my glasses were supposed to correct for that. I wonder if this is part of why all the red dots I have tried all had fuzzy out of round dots???
    I'll give the eye doc a call.

Thanks, Matt

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have Duane Syndrom. My left eye doesn't turn left much, my right is super dominate.
    Shoot everything right handed, both eyes open.
    I can with rifle scope, look slightly down and left with dominate eye and this then fuzzes it so my leftoutside the scope becomes dominate.
    Quick, no strain............I can flip right/left behind the scope.

Unfortunately focusing, and he left/right flip isn't as fast as it used to be.
    My eyes degraded to 20/15 at age 40. And that was some time back.

Tracking in all other directions is perfect.

So like the doc said...........people would kill for your eyes. If you've gone this far without trying to surgically correct the DS (30% chance)..........why put risk of
    screwing other stuff up (substantial according to him).

People think my right eye hooks, actually it's my left not turning as much as it should.
    Brain does NOT like funky vision, and people adapt.

Had one engineer walking down the hall........head damn near touching his shoulder. Swore he wasn't.
    Dunno what eye prob was developing on him.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Yep, astigmatism. I cannot use a red dot without my glasses, but it does not seem to be the same problem when using peeps. Will have to make an appointment to see the Gun Eye Doc...

Top Bottom