• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I hear ya. I called them for Uverse. Was told "its not in your neighborhood". I said "They installed the DSLAM near the entrance to our neighborhood 6 months ago, and have talked to techs. Its available!" Once again I was told no. The day after the DSL I settled for was installed I was talking to my neighbor across the street who mentioned "they are installing Uverse for us tomorrow". :xmad: He had gone into one of the AT&T stores in the mall and they hooked him up. I ran right home and checked... yep. Online tool STILL says its not available.

And this is the same company that screwed up the phone lines and reused my wires for a neighbor two blocks away without disconnecting me from the system after I cancelled service. When I discovered I had dial tone on a line that was disconnected two years prior I called them from my house, on that line and they still wouldnt do anything about it because I wasnt the "owner" of the line. "what if the problem is in your neighbor's house? You cant authorize a billable event because you arent the customer." Even after pointing out that if I am calling on HIS line from MY basement, there is absolutely NO WAY the problem is inside his house. They still refused to do anything. :ugh: Well, they did tell me they would call him back to talk to him and for me to not answer the phone so he could pick up and authorize the service, I had to remind them that it was almost midnight so that was probably a bad idea. :ugh:

Free phone. The phreaks of old would have a field day.

Comcast Doesn't Give a **** (Censored)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    It took me ten minutes to explain to them I wanted service removed from a property. They explained no existing account was in service there. I said I was ripping the house down and wanted their overhead line off my house and the pole. They tried to sign me up for new service four times on that call when clarifying what I was asking.

But this something they don't know how to do! You can use wire cutters can't you? :)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    These people are reading scripted responses and are watched like a hawk to make sure they push new service. I have experienced these "rooms" while repairing/servicing the HVAC systems and they are just crazy. It takes a special person to sit and run their gums all day towing the company line.

I have AT&T and am the last one on the line. My SIL next door can not get the service. We loose cable 2 or 3 times a year due to a terrible service line that needs replaced back to the main a few blocks down. Squirrels and age let it get wet and my net and TV fad. The come out after several conversations with "Haji" and repair sections of the line promising to get a cable crew out to replace the line in total.....never happens.

File a complaint with the state utility commission. They get their attention really quick. I suffered with dead phone service at my business several times per yr. After three yrs, I filed a complaint. Amazing the line was replaced within two weeks of my filing.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    All I had for the last 4 years was the little box from AT&T that you plugged into the computer with a 5gig a month limit on usage. It was ok as long as you didn't watch any videos or you would run out of data. The only advantage was it is portable, if you got cell service you had internet. Tried many times to upgrade to dsl from anybody but kept hearing not available. Check again and seen new subscribers to the little box were paying $10 less per month than me, but if I signed another 2yr contract I could get the same price.
    So I decided to give Frontier another try since half a dozen of my neighbors have it. NOT available in my area but they could sign me up for DISH and I could get twice the gigs of AT&T. I was signed up until they played the disclaimer at the end and what the rep said was in conflict of the disclaimer. Cancelled out because I hate being lied to.
    Went back to the website I got the phone # off of and found the senior VP for IN and asked him why everyone else around me could get Frontier and I could not! My phone rang the next day with a rep apologizing and asking how she could help. Long story short I now have dsl for half of what I was paying AT&T.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    When AT$T first offered DSL in our area I called them and ordered. They gave me a time frame for the equipment to arrive and when I should be activated. It never came so I called the local AT$T manager to inquire about it. He did a 3 way call with the ordering department. The lady told us That from where I lived the loop was to long. The manager told her had checked my line and I was getting a decent signal. She still would put the order in. He told her "look lady, we have a guy here that wants to give us some money, lets get him hooked up and make money. If it doesn't work then we waive early cancellation fees. No one loses" She gave in but the service sucks. Not because of the distance but the line condition.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I thought maybe you were referring to their cellular internet service, but while I was trying to load it I got the server cannot be reached error. At least they suck consistently!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Is it possible that they purposely seek cretins, dullards, and insolent, defensive, condescending, aggressively stupid weasels to fill their customer service positions? Do they go out of their way to intentionally make my life more difficult?
    Actually, I think so.

Threaten to cancel your phone, that will get their attention

1. I called them for Uverse. Was told "its not in your neighborhood". I said "They installed the DSLAM** near the entrance to our neighborhood 6 months ago, and have talked to techs. Its available!" Once again I was told no. The day after the DSL I settled for was installed I was talking to my neighbor across the street who mentioned "they are installing Uverse for us tomorrow". :xmad: He had gone into one of the AT&T stores in the mall and they hooked him up. I ran right home and checked... yep. Online tool STILL says its not available.

2. And this is the same company that screwed up the phone lines and reused my wires for a neighbor two blocks away without disconnecting me from the system after I cancelled service. When I discovered I had dial tone on a line that was disconnected two years prior I called them from my house, on that line and they still wouldnt do anything about it because I wasnt the "owner" of the line. "what if the problem is in your neighbor's house? You cant authorize a billable event because you arent the customer." Even after pointing out that if I am calling on HIS line from MY basement, there is absolutely NO WAY the problem is inside his house. They still refused to do anything. :ugh: Well, they did tell me they would call him back to talk to him and for me to not answer the phone so he could pick up and authorize the service, I had to remind them that it was almost midnight so that was probably a bad idea. :ugh:

1. **VRAD
    It's possible you still can't get it depending on how the phone wire is routed through your neighborhood. When I worked there, the upper limit was like 2800 ft.

2. Holy bridge tap Batman.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Att does not want the landline/dsl business. The future is voip and uverse. No money is put into maintaining the old plant. I do not think they are under the IURC anymore, so good luck complaining. There are other companies (CLECS) that offer dsl. Mcleoed used to be one. They can access your existing wires if their stats on them are ok. You have to understand. The new management believe their statistics that show customers are more satisfied than ever. The stats are all faked, but, it is easier to manage the numbers than actually do something about the problems. The nail that stands up is the one hammered down and all. Anyone that says otherwise is severely persecuted.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Because of me.

I have demanded that AT&T suck UNTIL you give up saying "rhino out!"

Try holding your breath waiting for that to happen, English Kirk!

Actually, I think so.

Threaten to cancel your phone, that will get their attention

I did! Didn't phase the last loser with whom I spoke. The one who said his name and when I responded by greeting him by name very rudely corrected me. Here's how it went:

HIM: "Hello, this is Travis with AT&T. How may I help you?" <--- best recollection of the exact words

ME: "Hi, Travis. I received email from you about an order I place and I am responding." <-- exact words

HIM: "FIRST, the name is TAR-vis." <--- EXACT quote. Red indicates the snotty, snippy tone of voice it had.

Everything after that was clearly an exasperating burden to it. I should have known I was doomed.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had issues getting Uverse installed too. Saw the tech working on the box outside house and asked when it would be available. He said a few weeks. After four months the online tool still said it wasn't there. I think there is an option to have them "research" an address. That finally triggered it to go live for me at least after a few more weeks of waiting. While the raw throughput (Mbps) isn't as high as what comcast claims, I haven't had any outages in two years vs comcast who continually had issues. One of my neighbors has also switched and another is thinking about switching. Additionally, all the ISPs cheat the speed test sites. You're better off trying to download a large file (legal) from bittorrent to get a true gauge of your speeds. For fun you should test this late at night and then again between 5 - 7 PM and watch how the results change.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I did! Didn't phase the last loser with whom I spoke. The one who said his name and when I responded by greeting him by name very rudely corrected me. Here's how it went:

HIM: "Hello, this is Travis with AT&T. How may I help you?" <--- best recollection of the exact words

ME: "Hi, Travis. I received email from you about an order I place and I am responding." <-- exact words

HIM: "FIRST, the name is TAR-vis." <--- EXACT quote. Red indicates the snotty, snippy tone of voice it had.

Everything after that was clearly an exasperating burden to it. I should have known I was doomed.

Wow. Tarvis? Travis?

I get people screwing up my name ALL day here. Cellphones are to blame. Vernon or Vern. Okay, right? I've recieved:
    Merle (my new nickname at work), Mick, Bern, Brandon, Draden (yeah, not sure on that), Merv (love it), Victor, Vince (love it more), Vicki, Veron (Hindi, I had a Hindi roomie in college that called me that, so I suspect a language issue with my name), Herndon.

Never correct anyone, even the guy that started every sentence with your name. He was embarassed when I sent him an email, but he continued to call me Merle in emails. Hey, can I change my user name? :D

But if you have a perma-screwed name like Tarvis, who is he trying to kid by getting snippy about it!

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Comcast sucks equally as bad. I called to get whole house DVR. Meaning I want to watch my recordings on any TV. They told me that I had to get a phone if I wanted whole house DVR....HUH.....I told them to shove it

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow. Tarvis? Travis?

I get people screwing up my name ALL day here. Cellphones are to blame. Vernon or Vern. Okay, right? I've recieved:
    Merle (my new nickname at work), Mick, Bern, Brandon, Draden (yeah, not sure on that), Merv (love it), Victor, Vince (love it more), Vicki, Veron (Hindi, I had a Hindi roomie in college that called me that, so I suspect a language issue with my name), Herndon.

Never correct anyone, even the guy that started every sentence with your name. He was embarassed when I sent him an email, but he continued to call me Merle in emails. Hey, can I change my user name? :D

But if you have a perma-screwed name like Tarvis, who is he trying to kid by getting snippy about it!

The guy definitely had issues. I suspect it went much deeper than his ridiculous name and his abject inability to address mispronunciations by customers in a courteous, respectful, and professional manner.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I singed up with the 15 mbps with cable... very close..

3355733837.png

Top Bottom