• Why do you shoot?

• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A conversation on FB last week got me thinking about the different types of gun owners out there. I made a passing comment on a "friends" post and somehow got into a "tiff" or "lecturing session" with someone they know. Most of this I attribute to their youth, pass it off and don't really care but it really made me think about the diversity of "why" each person shoots. It became clear to me that my focus these days is on defensive shooting while the person I was communicating with simply just enjoys going out to a field and shooting whatever.

I don't like generalizations/stereotypes typically and try to point them out when I hear them or realize I'm making one myself. They are pointless, inaccurate, and even sometimes condescending or disrespectful. The Yeager video where he describes the different "types" of shooters was very innacurate based on my experience, not to mention unprofessional of him but it still got me thinking again of the same thing.

I wonder, is there a distinction between types of shooters? I grew up shooting long gun competitions (trap, 22 rifle, distance rifle, etc.) I more or less shot for the fun of it. I was a good shooter and absorbed everything I could from the competitors I was around, but largely I simply enjoyed shooting. Although I performed well, it wasn't my goal to be a state champion or anything as such simply because at those ages I knew my mother (single mom) wouldn't care for the cost to compete at those levels plus the time and travel involved.

I have yet to try pistol competitions, but yet I carry daily and have since I was 18. After my discharge from the Marines I focus my shooting on practical/defensive type of shooting. Part of this is due to having minimal time and money to enjoy shooting so what time I can devote to it is focused on maintaining my "combat proficiency." I enjoy this type of shooting as well, so it's not necessarily a feeling of "work." I enjoy any and all shooting, I just don't have time to enjoy it all as much as I would like right now. When I get more available funds and time I look forward to devoting more time to my life long pashion as well as soak up additional training opportunities and try my hand in some pistol competitions.

I merely find it odd that while I enjoy all types of shooting, right now I pretty much shoot with a focus. I shoot to maintain proficiency for dangerous situations with various obstacles due to the little time I can spend shooting.

So, I guess my question is: How many of you shooters out there shoot for a single reason? Why do you shoot? I think we can all agree that it's fun, otherwise we wouldn't do it. I'm talking about ASIDE from that. What is YOUR focus/reason for shooting. Do you just enjoy competitiveness and shoot competitions mostly? Do you really only shoot for defensive purposes and pistol carry? Do you only hunt? If you had to pick one, most important reason; Why do YOU shoot? What is YOUR focus?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I shoot primarily for recreation. I carry weapons (not just guns) for self defense. While some of my shooting is practice for self defense, it's just part of the matrix.

For me shooting is zen. It's like meditation in that I have concentrated focus and deep awareness of my physical presence.

I don't particularly compete although I used to. Now I compete against myself. Shooting is also an excuse to reload.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I grew up hunting, I never shot in competition and thus never had much desire to. As I grew older, the desire to hunt fell off and now that I'm older I just like to shoot :) While I'm a competitive sort of person, I don't find the need to go "best" people. I enjoy going to the range and meeting others and having fun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Primarily it is gunpowder therapy. A day that I get some range time is always better than A day that I don't regardless of what else happens.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Yes, I enjoy it. One day soon I hope to start shooting service rifle and Garand matches. My job requires it, we had a great range day this week at the Sheriff's Dept. Finally, 60's muscle cars and fancy women are too expensive, so I will stick with one wife and many firearms instead.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Poll added. I could only think of 5 primary categories and I don't think the site allows you to edit polls once they are created.:dunno: Any other ones I missed, please share it.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I started out shooting to be self defense ready, so that is how I voted.
    Who knew about gun range therapy at the time??
    Now it's a good time in addition to good training. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I sort of expect the primary theme to be self-defense of some sort. I'd like to hear from those who vote in other categories and why they did so? If you focus on hunting or competition, do you not carry a gun on you or keep one near your bed, etc.?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yeah, an All Of The Above selection would have been good! :D

I shoot for all of those except hunting. I shoot competitions, try to take training classes or read/watch videos about them and use my range time to stay sharp and practice with my carry/comp guns. I carry daily, at home, church, out and about and compete with my carry gear or a larger version of my carry pistol. I've taken self-defense classes and plan on taking more as time and money allow but will also read and watch instructors and take what they have to say and practice at the range. Primary focus is always on being capable no matter where or why.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah, an All Of The Above selection would have been good! :D

I shoot for all of those except hunting. I shoot competitions, try to take training classes or read/watch videos about them and use my range time to stay sharp and practice with my carry/comp guns.
    Yeah, I thought of it after the fact.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i mainly shoot rifles....but i practice with pistol some too. I do it because its fun and relaxing but also because (and probly more this reason than any other) IF something ever happens i dont want to "that guy". The one who could have done something and either didnt have the skill or training or reacted to slow to be able to stop the situation.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Ah man, I should have put ALL OF THE ABOVE in the poll!

Or made it multiple choice. All of the above except competition here as well. Primarily recreation and self-defense/continued training and readiness I guess are my big ones, so that's how I will vote.

jasonville43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jasonville, Indiana
    Just getting back into shooting with the goal of upgrading my self-defense skills and simply enjoying the smell and sounds of the range! I am also very interested in working with youth groups to educate and grow their young minds!!

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    You forgot bacon too.

I shoot primarily for fun/recreation and to hunt (although I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like to :(). I carry, and enjoy competing (only done bullseye, but it was a lot of fun to watch my scores improve). Should probably start working more on the self-defense by taking training, etc., but finding the money (and more importantly the TIME because I travel usually on short notice and have been spending 50% of my time in Canada for the last 4 months) is tough.

Top Bottom