• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I enjoy the challenge of, and developing the skills necessary to use them effectively

I desire to be able to defend myself, my family or anyone else with equal or better weapons than the opposition

I don't enjoy being prey

You can shoot guns and not kill
    You can drink alcohol and not get intoxicated
    You can hold a pencil and not write a word
    You can have sex and not reproduce
    You can have a knife and not stab someone

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I take it that your sister doesn't like guns. For me I was raised around them. While I don't hunt much right now I did when I was younger. I enjoy shooting at targets whether it is paper or metal. I find it makes me slow down (life can be hectic).

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Good question. I grew up in a "no guns" household. My brothers and I weren't even allowed to have bb guns (as far as mom and dad knew). Reason being that my dad was a WW II combat vet and he said he had to carry one for 6 years and see all the horrors of war and didn't want ANY guns around him ever again. When I moved out of the house and was living in a second story apartment I had a home invasion incident in which I was able to surprise the invader and somehow scared him off (maybe he was shocked at seeing a naked man running at him screaming or something). After that I picked up a .22 carbine for home defense and determined to learn how to use it. Once I started to hit targets from 25, 50 and 100 yards away I just really enjoyed the skill building and precision of being able to strike at something so far away. That was many years ago but the hobby stuck with me and I never did get over being able to hit targets at a distance. It is hard to explain but I still get the same thrill with black powder, hand guns, shotguns and rifles. Especially long distance steel targets. I am not much of a hunter but I do love to shoot targets of all kinds.

My dads ideas of guns did change when he and mom were robbed by an armed robber after they were retired and my brothers and I fixed him up with a GI .45 just like the one he learned to shoot in 1943. He kept it until he got Alzheimer's when he was 90 or so.

If possible get your sis to go to a range with you and experience shooting first hand with a light caliber weapon. Often a trip to the range helps others understand how much fun and how safe the sport can be.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I like guns and shooting for many reasons. It allows me to spend time with my friends and family. It allows me to become proficient with a tool that could save my life, the life of a friend or family member, or protect this country. And last but not least they are just plain FUN.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    http://youtu.be/LfK3YqPVL9s

Tried finding a quality clip of my favorite line from that episode but couldn't.

Here are some from Homer...

I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family.

When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun.

A gun is not a weapon, Marge. It's a tool. Like a butcher knife, or a harpoon, or... uh, a... an alligator. You just need more education on the subject. Tell you what. You come with me to an N.R.A. meeting, and if you still don't think guns are great, we can argue some more.

And that is why I like guns.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    What "things" have you killed? If she is referring to animals, I assume you eat what you kill where as she prefers to hire out her animal killing to someone else.

You could also answer, Damn, now that you know I'll have to kill you too.

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I have to say of course protection is a great reason to like guns. I also just like the feel of shooting a gun at the range. The power of a gun and the mechanics the way they work are interesting to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I enjoy the challenge of, and developing the skills necessary to use them effectively

I desire to be able to defend myself, my family or anyone else with equal or better weapons than the opposition

I don't enjoy being prey

You can shoot guns and not kill
    You can drink alcohol and not get intoxicated
    You can hold a pencil and not write a word
    You can have sex and not reproduce
    You can have a knife and not stab someone

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I could not state it better.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I asked her b4 about comming to the range she said never, so maybe ill ask again. And she would rather be shot by a bad guy protecting her kids then shoot him so not sure how that works ??

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Used to go out with my dad and uncles when I was little and target shoot. Also, we'd go out in uncle Jim's woods and PRETEND to hunt squirrels. That was lots of fun. Later, I began to appreciate the precision of even a humble Marlin model 60. As I grew, I began to think about the skill of the designers and manufacturers, and marvel at how, if the manufacturer did THEIR part, and the ammo supplier did THEIR part, and I did MY part, that little bullet would go EXACTLY where I wanted it to, every single time. That pondering is, to me, a zen experience. I find myself calm and happy in the midst of life's viccisitudes.
    That was the beginning for me. Soon I would discover handguns, in all of their shapes, sizes, and purposes, then shotguns and Indiana fencerows teeming with Mr. bigears fuzzypants and his amazing speed upon being jumped by the beagles. Soon deer began to repopulate the state. After that, it all went downhill.
    Hi. My name is DeadeyeChrista'sdad, and I am a firearms-o-holic.

Top Bottom