• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    they shot the k9 unit..... after the gun was dropped !

I noticed that....The dude throws the gun down and the cops, in their panic, send a hail storm of bullets hitting the perp and killing one of their own (the dog). Why didn't they just let the k9 do its job? I'm sure the dog would have preferred it that way and I'm sure the suspect would agree.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    they shot the k9 unit..... after the gun was dropped !
    I noticed that....The dude throws the gun down and the cops, in their panic, send a hail storm of bullets hitting the perp and killing one of their own (the dog). Why didn't they just let the k9 do its job? I'm sure the dog would have preferred it that way and I'm sure the suspect would agree.

It looks like it was within their reaction time. In other words, the decision was made to fire, and that neuromuscular process started.

Then, the perp throws the gun in the middle of that process. Shots are fired.

Then, a decision is made to stop. Process starts to stop shooting. Shooting stops. It's almost impossible to stop in the middle of the process.

Alternatively, if you notice how he "dropped" the gun, he sort of raised it up and threw it. That could be interpreted as threatening. I mean, you really don't know he's "dropping" the gun until the end of the raise when it's thrown. He might just as easily not thrown it, but rather raised and fired. So, maybe the way he "dropped" it actually precipitated a volley of fire. Lesson: if you're ever in a situation where you have to "drop" a handgun." Drop it in the most non-threatening manner possible! Don't raise it. Lower it, just open your hand, etc. Do not raise and throw it.

This all takes time. Action beats reaction, the OODA loop has to be cycled through, etc. This has been studied and published in police science mags and elsewhere. It's one explanation why some people are shot in the back and yet it's still a "clean" shoot.

I'll see if I can find an article.

Edit: Here's an example article.
    http://www.forcescience.org/articles/isyourshootingclean.pdf

Excerpts:
    "… once the brain decides it’s time to shoot, it is virtually impossible to interrupt the completion of that action."

"Grossi’s own experiments during his firearms training classes, have shown that once an officer perceives a threat … it will take a minimum of 1/3 second up to 1.5-2.0 seconds for that officer’s brain to process the information, complete his reaction, and fire his weapon in self-defense."

"Lewinski’s studies concluded that no matter how well you’re ‘set’ psychologically, you’re still limited by your neuromuscular reaction time."

And this works both ways. So, once the shooting starts, it takes that long to STOP firing also.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sickness continues.................from 3-22-13

Georgia police are looking for two boys—one about 10, the other maybe 15, max—accused of shooting a baby to death in his stroller during a robbery attempt, reports AP. The 13-month-old's mother tells WAWS-TV that the boys approached her on the street in broad daylight yesterday and demanded money. When she said she didn't have any, the older boy pulled a gun. "I put my arms over my baby and he shoves me and then he shot my baby right in the head," said Sherry West, who suffered a bullet wound to her leg. Police in Brunswick, a coastal town 80 miles south of Savannah, have offered a $10,000 reward in Antonio's death.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have never been in this type of situation, fortunately, and avoid it whenever possible. I am always on the lookout, constantly evaluating, considering reactions to different situations according to the environment I am in.
    That, along with some words of advice I picked up in the Marine Corps:
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Why we carry. Cuz cops are to heavy to pack around. Ya ya weve all heard that one before but I couldnt think of anything else. Stay safe and carry on.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Sickness continues.................from 3-22-13

Georgia police are looking for two boys—one about 10, the other maybe 15, max—accused of shooting a baby to death in his stroller during a robbery attempt, reports AP. The 13-month-old's mother tells WAWS-TV that the boys approached her on the street in broad daylight yesterday and demanded money. When she said she didn't have any, the older boy pulled a gun. "I put my arms over my baby and he shoves me and then he shot my baby right in the head," said Sherry West, who suffered a bullet wound to her leg. Police in Brunswick, a coastal town 80 miles south of Savannah, have offered a $10,000 reward in Antonio's death.

Wow... how tragic. Talk about animals. :(

hodges1976

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    I carry to protect myself and those around me from people that may try to take what I have worked very hard for. I have grown up with a healthy respect for human life and guns.

I pray that I never have to fire my weapon other than at the range, but know that some day it may have to happen.

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    As I explained to my 6 year old, I carry a gun in case a bad guy wants to hurt me or somebody that I love.

That should be simple enough for even a politician to understand.

Top Bottom