Why do superstores like Gander Mountain have higher prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Noblesville
    Most people especially those shopping at gander for guns/ammo aren't as informed as we are, or just don't care. I'm sure many of them have never been in a LGS and never realize they are paying a higher price. There are also those that think it is a more reputable place than a smaller shop and that gives them the warm fuzzy. Just be thankful you know better and aren't giving your money away when you shop.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It has a lot to do with people not researching before they buy. Go to a Gander Mountain and you'll hear at least one of the following: An employee telling someone how a surplus firearm they are holding is worth x2 what they are asking for it, or a loud family screwing with all the guns pointing them at everyone and laughing.

We had a salesman hand us a well-used and abused 5906 that was priced at $500. He whispered to us that it was worth at least $1,000. We wanted to negotiate the price and they'd only do $450 for that POS. We bought a NIB looking trade-in from CDNN for $325 later that week. A year later they still have that same 5906 in the case.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO too many think price the only determiner of a "deal".
    Yeah, someplace else might be cheaper, but if the guys I like, the shops I frequent, have the same thing at close to that price, I'll buy there.

I'm content with "good enough". Don't need the lowest price possible.

Online?

Yeah, and when you need help with something right away.........like the night before a hunting trip........

When I worked at a shop we had a customer come in, looking for a specific type of broadhead. We were sold out, and most places didn't carry them (traditional shooter equip). The guy was leaving next day for a hunt a few hrs away, and needed some backup heads. I had some, the owner of the shop had some, so we both on our lunch time, fetched the heads from home (as we shoot trad gear too) and the guy picked them up on his way home from work.

He got maybe 4 heads, used but like new...........enough for his trip, free.

:)

Last edited:

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Very true, but it doesn't answer this: That's their prerogative, but it's gouging no matter how you slice it. :xmad:

The takeaway message here - as stated above - is take your time and be an informed shopper.

And tell the mopes at G.M. that they won't be getting anymore of your business. They probably won't care until they get enough people tell them that though.

Yeah this just isn't happening. I work there and am not the biggest fan of the prices, but prices haven't gone up or down in light of recent events. Like an earlier poster said corprate structure doesn't allow for individual variences. In fact I usually price match for the informed buyer and it has been hard finding a Glock at a LGS that isn't jacked up to the price that Gander already has listed. In this case you kind of have to hate the game.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have been wondering about this. In every other industry, the big box stores can, and do charge lower prices to undercut the little guys. However this doesn't seem to be the case in the firearms industry? Is there a reason for this? It makes no sense to me.
    A little know fact about Walmart and I suspect many other large box stores in smaller cities - and even in some large ones. When they open a new store they research the pricing of the small businesses they are competing with and set their prices lower. People start shopping there and are pleased with the lower prices. Gradually they raise the prices to near or higher than the competitors. By then people have quit shopping around and comparing prices so they think the prices are still as low or lower than any competition. Soon they drive the small businesses out of town, then Walmart raises prices above what the small businesses would be selling the items. This was documented in some article I read a few years ago.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    I stopped at Walmart, then Gander Mountain off Emerson a couple of days ago - looking for some 9mm target rounds. Gander had a few boxes left and the price wasn't much more than Walmart (they were out).

What surprised me was the number of people, mostly men, waiting to buy firearms at GM. Having just come from Bradis I couldn't help wondering why someone wouldn't check there first for a gun, which most likely would have been cheaper, and the folks at Bradis do take time with a customer.
    Maybe it's the political circumstances driving some people to 'buy something now' attitude?
    But yeah, it's the customer's pick on where and how much to spend on firearms.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    A little know fact about Walmart and I suspect many other large box stores in smaller cities - and even in some large ones. When they open a new store they research the pricing of the small businesses they are competing with and set their prices lower. People start shopping there and are pleased with the lower prices. Gradually they raise the prices to near or higher than the competitors. By then people have quit shopping around and comparing prices so they think the prices are still as low or lower than any competition. Soon they drive the small businesses out of town, then Walmart raises prices above what the small businesses would be selling the items. This was documented in some article I read a few years ago.

I know it's more fun to paint Walmart as a bag, bad villain but it really isn't true. If that was the case then the small stores would re-emerge. In fact Walmart prices are lower because they buy huge quantities and write very tough contracts with their suppliers. Their prices are pretty consistent from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Have you ever been in GM, and eavesdropped on the conversations other customers are having with the sales people? There are some seriously stupid (okay, uninformed) people out there.

Like the guy who's leaving on an expensive Elk Hunting trip next month...his first...and is asking what caliber rifle he should get?

I suspect GM preys on people like that. They offer some items at competitive prices, but it's sorta like a car dealership. When they pound the snot out of one uninformed customer - it makes up for the other couple guys who saw good deals and took it.

The one in Greenwood said they were selling 500 guns a week, BEFORE the CT shooting happened. As much as I detest these places, I suspect they're here to stay, because the average beginner doesn't feel comfortable going into a smaller, more knowledgeable place. They figure a big-name store like that surely must be "reputable"...after all, it's a nationwide chain, right? They're so conditioned to think the "Big Box" always means better prices, they never stop to think that might not be the case if the store is a specialty store. (For example, have you been to an office supply store? Their prices are outrageous, on any item that actually matters. They'll put out a box of paper clips or hand sanitizer at a loss-leader price next to the register, but the rest of the store is filled with rip-offs).

If the GM stores go out of business, it will be because of inflated overhead and margin/volume failures in other areas of the store, not because of anything that's happening behind the gun counter.

Last edited:

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    We had a salesman hand us a well-used and abused 5906 that was priced at $500. He whispered to us that it was worth at least $1,000. We wanted to negotiate the price and they'd only do $450 for that POS. We bought a NIB looking trade-in from CDNN for $325 later that week. A year later they still have that same 5906 in the case.

Had to LOL on that one...another reason to love GM !!!

the nam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Wow what a bunch of know it all jerks. Mostly telling lies and slapping each other on the back making up things that are all in their heads. Just don't believe everything that is written on here . This is why Walmart and gander make fools of all the LGSs cronies and store know it alls. I do know a handful of good LGSs and I go there and also Walmart and gander

Top Bottom