Why do people walk down range when others are shooting??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I took my girlfriend to the range yesterday. I have been trying to get her to go for a while, and on the way, was explaining to her some range rule etiquette. I also told her that seems like every time I go, "someone" walks down range with out letting anyone know, and they get pissed when you call them on it. Any way she was doing great, shot the AR, and trying a few handguns to see which ones she liked. All the sudden the guy on the end, just heads down to "look" at his target. We yelled over for him to stop and everyone put down their weapons. He did this two-three times. I finally tried to talk to him, and he said he could not tell where he was hitting, and I tried to explain to him that he needs to be considerate, and safe, and not just walk up to the target every three shots, WITH OUT GETTING EVERYONES ATTENTION!!!!!
    Finally went to range officer, and had him try to tell him. He was on the end so apparently it was OK to just walk on down. :xmad:
    Other than that was a good time, weather was perfect, and the girlfriend had a good time. I showed terrific self restraint, and came home with the knowledge that not everyone is hitting on all eight cylinders, and the blank stare, and drool means they truly to not understand what you are trying to tell them. :ranton:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Surprised the RO didn't address it. Unless he was on an end that was some how divided from the shooters, such as with a berm, etc. I can't see how he would have said "its ok."

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Surprised the RO didn't address it. Unless he was on an end that was some how divided from the shooters, such as with a berm, etc. I can't see how he would have said "its ok."

The RO did talk to him. The other guy (The shooter) said he thought it was OK, not the RO. The RO informed him other wise. Some one gave him a scope from their shooting box to look through which took care of the problem. I watched him for a while, he would shoot two-three times, then prance around looking down range. Seemed real nevrous, like he could not stand to wait to go see the target. This seemed to settle down, after someone handed him the scope to use.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The RO did talk to him. The other guy (The shooter) said he thought it was OK, not the RO. The RO informed him other wise. Some one gave him a scope from their shooting box to look through which took care of the problem. I watched him for a while, he would shoot two-three times, then prance around looking down range. Seemed real nevrous, like he could not stand to wait to go see the target. This seemed to settle down, after someone handed him the scope to use.

I see...sorry for the confusion on my part. Glad the RO took care of things.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    No problem, I could have explained it better.
    I just do not get it though. Happens every time I go there. I meet and visit with alot of good and interesting people, but there is always one that causes issues. We had to address him twice, when others wanted to change their targets, because he would not put his weapon down. The guy did not need to be there.
    Hopefully the "All about me thing" is not contagious, because I see it all over anymore.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I've not had any real problem with it but one time there was a family with a group of kids who thought that just signaling that they wanted to go downrange without actually knowing that they had everyone's attention was good enough.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    If someone like that is at the range then it's time for me to pickup my stuff and leave. If they are that oblivious to gun safety and their own, then I don't want to be there when they figure out why we have gun safety rules.

Don't stick around when someone is handling guns that should not be. We tell our kids the same thing.

Glad everyone made it out alive.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Don't interfere with Darwin's theory.

Or maybe do exactly as was done and make it a learning opportunity instead of a headline that paints ranges as even more dangerous than we already know them to be. I don't get the people that would rather make rude comments, make fun of someone, or wait until they get home so they can complain online instead of trying to help someone as to correct a potentially deadly situation.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

I agree. I personally would consider this an "unsafe range" if that is the action the RO took. Might be there were mitigating circumstances, but without seeing the range I'd be inclined to call the RO delinquent in their duties.

Oops. Looks like I misunderstood the post as well.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom