Why do CZs seem to rule USPSA Production matches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    they are the flavor of the month. simple answer but if you look at the history top shooters never stick with any gun for long someone is always coming out with the new next best thing.... and before you naysayers jump in there are always exceptions

Hmm, not really. CZ is kind of a black sheep everywhere except the competition circles. How many people do you know, besides those on here that are professed CZ nuts (myself included) do you know that carry one? None or few I'd imagine. However In most competitions anywhere in the world I would bet you would find more CZs or clones than almost any other pistol platform. And at least one shooter with a CZ or clone would probably be somewhere on the podium at the end of it.

Of course I could be wrong too IDK.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Hmm, not really. CZ is kind of a black sheep everywhere except the competition circles. How many people do you know, besides those on here that are professed CZ nuts (myself included) do you know that carry one? None or few I'd imagine. However In most competitions anywhere in the world I would bet you would find more CZs or clones than almost any other pistol platform. And at least one shooter with a CZ or clone would probably be somewhere on the podium at the end of it.

Of course I could be wrong too IDK.

thats pretty much correct. There isn't any other design that is as heavily represented in the top 10 at USPSA production nationals over the course of the last decade as the CZ and its clones.

But non competitors wouldn't know that. Won't keep them from pontificating about why it's so dominant in competition though.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Trying to marginalize the proven competition track record of the CZ kind of reminds me of the Obamacare apologizers. If you believe something hard enough it simply must be true.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Shoot what you have until you know what you like. Your a MP FS will serve you well while you are learning.

You won't be competitive until you start competing. Shoot what you have until you know what you want.

Of all the advice usually given to new shooters, this is the most ignored....

-rvb
    I'm really trying to listen to this, but it's damn hard while looking at all those sexy custom 2011's... :D I know I can't outrun my M&P, so there's no use in dropping 2-3k on anything other than ammo.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    There isn't any other design that is as heavily represented in the top 10 at USPSA production nationals over the course of the last decade as the CZ and its clones.

last decade? Maybe... I've never followed top guys' gear closely. I'd have guessed last 3-4 years, maybe...
    before stoegger switched from a 92, who was shooting CZ/clones? Hobdell? maybe Mink? 5-10 yrs ago it was sevigny and vogel winning with glocks, and maybe something non-glock mixed in.
    Most recent data I could find was from '09 nationals. Ironically one of the subheadlines in the March '10 Front Sight was "Production Shooters Look at S&W." Glock had 49% of the nationals market share, S&W 21% and CZ around 13%.

Here is a quote from the March '09 Front Sight regarding the '08 Nationals...
    "
    Strong as the Glock is, all of itsmain competitors (CZ, S&W, Springfield,and Sig), took little one- or twopercentbites out of Glock's pie, pullingGlock's market share down from 58percent in 2007, to 52 percent in 2008.I would expect that trend to continue,except that this year Glockshooters won practically everything insight, taking the Production, Limited-10, ladies' Production, ladies' Limited,and ladies' Limited-10 titles. The newguns can claim some advantages, butthey're competing against the Glock'sstrong track record, capped by thisyear's amazing performance by Team​
    Glock.
    "

edit: quick google shows partial list of who was shooting what in '09 in the top 16 at nats
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92290
    Looks like 3 of the top 16, Hobdell, Mink, and Miguez

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    All kidding aside, it's simple:

Heavy steel guns with good triggers are easier to shoot quickly and accurately than light plastic guns with crappy triggers.

Well it only took two pages to get to the point. LOL

Let's not forget the "the guy winning is using one" factor. The other reasons are seriously legit reasons, but I bet there's a lot of that happening as well...

I wonder what the reaction would be if Vogel came back to a production nationals and won. Would we start to see more glocks in the top 16 again, or would we hear a more "indian, not the arrow" rhetoric and people would rock on with their unicorns?

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Let's not forget the "the guy winning is using one" factor. The other reasons are seriously legit reasons, but I bet there's a lot of that happening as well...

I wonder what the reaction would be if Vogel came back to a production nationals and won. Would we start to see more glocks in the top 16 again, or would we hear a more "indian, not the arrow" rhetoric and people would rock on with their unicorns?

-rvb

"The guy winning has one" effect is most definitely responsible for the increase in stock 2 market price though. A few years ago, you get get them for less than MSRP. Now, a used one at 150% MSRP will get snapped up in less than 20 minutes posted on enos.

I'm hoping Gutt will do the same to the limited pro market. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hah! I don't need a CZ to suck any more than I already do. I shot all of my Production classifiers poorly with a S&W 5904 and a Sig P226 years ago.

Plus, Production Division equipment rules are stupid.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't be skeered, Rhino. Here, just come take a sip. It's very good stuff....:koolaid:

I had a CZ75B from about 1995 to . . . few years later. It was only gun I ever owned that had no malfunctions of any kind, but I could either reach the trigger or reach the thumb safety, not both with the same grip. And if I gripped it so I could reach the trigger, the downsloping tang sent the recoil impulse right into my thumb where it meets my hand. I traded it for part of a payment on a 1911.

The more evolved descendants of the CZ75 are much better in terms of ergonomics for me, but not enough to make me "need" one.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You get a P01 or a PCR. you get the reach reduction kit, a short reset trigger, 11.5# mainspring with extended firing pin and ultra light trigger return spring. Add a race hammer and 85 combat adjustable trigger. Do a little polishing and you would have a peach. With the extra bit of weight in the nose the short reset trigger make that thing like a hose. I've seen you shoot. After a week you would be sleeping with it. ;)

Top Bottom