• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Buddy of mine is a correctional officer, calls me up the other day to tell me he went inside after work in his uniform to get some food at a fast food joint and they gave him like $5/off. Turns out they thought he was a cop. When I was younger and working at a pizza place, cops were supposed to get 15% off and free drinks.

Now, cops get paid good money. I thought before it was sort of a... 'kind gesture' to give them a discount in a family ran pizza place, but it seemed odd that it was done in chain fast-food joint. On top of that, they get free coffee at gas stations too, I am told. Is that just a thing around here or is that everywhere?

I appreciate what y'all do, but buy your own damned food. You make good enough money to afford it. :)

What other jobs earn you free stuff?

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    First in. :popcorn:

FYI, cops don't make **** for what they do. I made almost double the average entry level officer's salary as a restaurant manager.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I also gave them discounts and free drinks (non-alcoholic), because I recognized that they are horribly underpaid for what they do.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    When I worked 3rd shift in a gas station the manager said it was courtesy and the benefit to the station was an increased police presence.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I believe it is to thank them for the job they do and also to encourage their presence (crime deterrence). I personally see nothing wrong with it and if I had a food place, would do the same.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Wonder if the tradition started from the early days in New York and Chicago where there were officials that charged protection and ran rackets on business owners. Some traditions go back to roots that are gone now.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When I worked 3rd shift in a gas station the manager said it was courtesy and the benefit to the station was an increased police presence.
    Ding!

Some friends work at a local convenience store. LE get free coffee and discounted drinks/snacks, to keep them around. The station across the street has gotten robbed, but their store - never.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Keep in mind I live in a real small town.

I think they start off at like $40K/yr round here, which is good money for this little river town. Reading the records in the paper daily, it's mostly speeders and domestic disputes. Not a ton of 'real crime' down here. Not trying to start a flame war or devalue your jobs, especially those in cities who deal with real crime. So let me get that out there right now :)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I believe giving free coffee to police officers isn't so much a kind gesture as it is a way to entice officers into stopping in there for a drink instead of somewhere else. Police presence is a visual deterrent for someone thinking about robbing the store. If I ran a store that offered beverages like that I'd do the same thing for people that I know legally carry firearms so that next time they want a drink they'll come to my shop instead of the one on the other side of the street because I offered them a free drink for their presence.

Giving food at a discount price is up to the restaurant. Just like some chain restaurants aren't corporate ran, they're a franchise, some of the rules are up to the management.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Do LEO's serve all equally or do some get more service than others due to what they give for it?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I worked at Ritter's we were suppose to give a 10% discount.
    If I took their order, they did not have a bill. Same as fire fighters / ems.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    The guys with mirror polished Jackboots get their food for free!
    I think it would be in the businesses interest to have officers around regularly.Free coffee would seem a small price to pay.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    and that kind of thing is why I don't see his posts... yeah, free coffee is going to change how police officers conduct themselves.

Multiple posters seem to disagree with you. They believe that free or discounted goods buy them extra police presence.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Do LEO's serve all equally or do some get more service than others due to what they give for it?
    Well, we get to know the people that work in the gas stations/restaurants regardless of discounts, also the many businesses in our beats that we have come to know the employees/managers/owners. We are more apt to go above and beyond for the people we know. For places where we eat...we try not to **** where we eat.

Top Bottom