Why Didn't Sheriff Andy Taylor Carry a Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kel-tecfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Does anyone know why Sheriff Andy Taylor chose not to carry a gun? I've watched the show on and off for years but I don't think I've ever found an episode with an explanation.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Barney was packin'. He knew Mr. Furley had his back. :twocents:

barney_fife.jpg

Besides Aunt Bee would put the beotch slap upon anyone who got out of line. - Different time I guess.

:D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    He was a small town dude, with no real crime to deal with. There were a couple episodes where he was going after bad guys and armed up. He always grabbed a rifle in those, though.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    There were at least a couple of episodes where he armed himself with a lever action rifle and it was mentioned in one episode that he once used a shotgun to injure a robber. The robber gets out of prison and returns to Mayberry to give him a shotgun as a present for not killing him.

kel-tecfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Was not carrying a common thing for small town sheriffs to do back in those days?

I always wondered if it was a political statement, since the show was recorded in the 60's during the Vietnam War, pacifist hippie days, etc...

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe Andy didn't carry a gun because of Department budget reasons. Barney only had on bullet.........sad indeed. Thank goodness the FBI and the State Police came a callin often.

Then again, it might have been a ploy to find Aunt Bea some action........she looked awful frisky at times.......she sure liked frying chicken and feeding them prisioners.......Coincidence...........maybe

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think he was just always in CC mode and probably had a BUG on his ankle as well. Mayberry was really a ruff town after dark.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Andy Taylor: When a man carries a gun all the time, the respect he thinks he`s getting might really be fear. So I don`t carry a gun because I don`t want the people of Mayberry to fear a gun. I`d rather they respect me.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    He was a small town dude, with no real crime to deal with. There were a couple episodes where he was going after bad guys and armed up. He always grabbed a rifle in those, though.

My wife is a Huge, and I mean HUGE A.T.S. fan, and I know of at least 3 episiodes where here strapped on a sidearm, 2 of them involved multiple BG's (2&3) (one was the Bank Robbery where the gaurds gun fell apart)and one where an escapee that Barney had been responsible for catching and he said he was gonna come back and get him.

But you're right that most of the time he either had a rifle or grabbed the shotgun.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I wondered that myself until I watched an episode when andy brought in 3 moonshiners that resisted arrest ,If he can whoop 3 country boys then drag them to jail ....andys bad enough without a gun,but he would load up when he needed to. He always seemed to keep a pistol in his desk & on top of the china cabinet at home

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    He did cary a few times. I think it was part of his statement that he didn't need a gun to uphold the law in Mayberry.

Top Bottom