• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I first carried at 18, because I could! after many years of not carrying, I "woke up" a couple of months ago and realized I'm getting older, crime is increasing, the economy is crap, and I have a wife and 2 young daughters.... I'm the only thing standing between them and the chaos of the big bad world. I'm a big guy, (6'7" & 365#) but there is always someone bigger, and miscreants tend to travel in packs!
    :draw:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Godwilling my money situation will be better this summer (broke college student) and I"ll be able to afford an LTCH and a handgun, but we'll see.

I want to carry because there are people that think that the money in my wallet, the laptop in my bag or having sex with my girlfriend is worth more than my life.

Simply put, I disagree.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I decided to carry mainly around the home to protect my grandchildren. There was a meth house bust and another residence with "roudy" characters coming all hours of the night with frequent police visits so I thought it a good idea to have a gun handy.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I mainly wanted a permit to carry on trips and as well as when I'm out in the boonies (I have a Jeep).

My wife and I grew up out west and right before moving to Indiana about ten years ago, we were driving through the boonies of Colorado and witnessed a single car accident. We stopped and I walked back to the car to give it a look. It wasn't too bad and I suggested to the driver that I thought that she could drive it to the next town and that we'd follow her to make sure she got there (she was by herself).

While this was going on, an old junk car with a freaky guy stopped between my car and her car. He was clearly not there to help but we're sure he was checking out the situation to see if he could take advantage of it. Back then, being law abiding gun owners, our guns were unloaded and locked in the trunk! Thankfully as I said, the lady was able to drive away as there was no one else around and we had no easy access to our guns. We also took off! Thinking about that guy to this day makes our skin crawl as it was just a bad feeling.

Now on our yearly trips to western states where our permits are accepted, we're no longer driving the Jeep around defenseless.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Over the last year or so, I have just felt a general sense of uneasy-ness as the economy gets worse and worse. I have felt it at times before being responsible for the safety of my family, but I came to the realization that martial arts and a lot of confidence is not going to save my niece's life if someone walks into the restaurant where we're sitting and starts shooting.

I also had the pleasure of having several clients who carry who were willing to speak openly about their reasons, and they all made sense to me.

I can tell you the night I placed a handgun under my bed, I slept better than I had in a long time. Now I carry everywhere and avoid places I can't.

Looking forward to getting lots of training and lots of practice.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    Ive had A Permit to Carry for years but it wasnt until I had my two little girls, that I started carrying everyday. The reason is, I saw several stories on the news where people had been carjacked with their kids strapped in carseats in the back, and the Carjacker took the car with the kids still strapped in. They can have my car but they Will Not take my kids !! my girls are 9 and 10 years old now But I still never leave home without one of my handguns on my person !!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I had shot a rifle several times at tin cans a .22. When I was hired as an officer, we were issued a S&W model 19. It didn't take much to become fairly profecient with it. The only draw back was it tended to rust on the back strap so I bought a nickle plated 19 (still have it). We are prett much given the option to carry a gun off duty or not.

Yes, I am old. I came on the department when there was a lot of civil unrest. My first 6 months I was shot at 4 times. I have to assume I was because I was wearing a uniform. My partner didn't help, he had a target on his back and was shot just prior to teaming up with him. I needed somethine to carry and bought a German made Walther PPKS. A .380 was nice and compact but not very good while shooting at cars (differemt story, drug bust gone real bad). I then decided that the world was not a real good place as I had pictured it. I even had several people come to my parents place. It was just a real good idea to keep one handy, inspected frequently and become gun safety conscious.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I was around age 26. I purchased my first handgun (yes, a 9mm), a Beretta, soon after the military adopted it (young and impressionable!). I soon found carrying a unloaded and locked up pistol to the range a bit absurd, so soon applied for a permit. Back then, the local authorities had you right a letter explaining why you need a permit (in Mishawaka anyway). I never carried much until I started working a weekend security job. Really wasn't until several years ago I started carrying all the time after throwing one to many drunks from the club I was working at( and who tried to run me down with a car). That wakes you up very fast!:D

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    While in the USN I pulled SP duty first while in a little city in the Phillipines called Olongapo. Dress whites (check), heavy duty night stick (check), SP armband (check), radio (check), utility belt with holstered SA 1911A1 with an empty clip and NO rounds (what?). Seems they were afraid one of us might actually use the weapon. "Besides" they told us "no one will know it's not loaded"...yeah, right.

Upon returning stateside I was shot at by an 'ex boyfriend' Luckily, I was able to put my car between 'bubba' and myself, and 'bubba' couldn't catch me once I got into the car and bugged out. Two days later I purchased my first handgun.

Once out of the service I applied for my LTCH and have not been without one since.

My wife and I both have lifetime licenses now, and both carry. I've never once had to expose a firearm and pray that neither of us have to. Situational awareness and avoidence play a big part of it, but I will have no hesitaion to draw and fire if the SHTF and I can't get away from it.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I was riding my motorcycle downtown to work everyday and left late at night. Did not want to get my bike stolen. Since then I have vastly expanded my reasons for carrying. I do it everyday and do not leave home without a gun of some sort.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Because 20 years ago this August, as I was headed down a street in Bloomington -- minding my own business -- what we would today call a "flash mob" decided to assault me.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Same as Kirk; in addition to occasionally seeing the first 3 minutes of the evening news. That was enough for me.

Haven't had to pull it yet; hopefully I never will. But I'm dedicated to keeping one on me or near me. In fact, as soon as we get my girlfriends residency switched over, we'll be getting her permit, and probably going looking for a nice .38 or .357 with pink pearl grips....anything that gets her excited about shooting and carrying, (including pink grips,) is fine by me; now I'll have tactical support. :D
    all that is required, is for her to have an In., driver license.....

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    I started carrying full time after returning from and overseas tour in a wheelchair. I quickly discovered that I had to completely rethink my self defense strategies. That led me to start carrying al the time.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    i started carrying when my job started requiring i be armed. and sinnce i was 18 and about 5 months i've carried, and do almost daily.. just part of the mornin' routine...

Top Bottom