• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I thought I had seen a thread like this before, but I couldn't find it and I kept seeing threads about why people started carrying. I figure everyone can add their reasoning in this thread, so let's hear them INGO.

For me, I got my license last year and have only carried a couple of times thus far. I was going to ease into carrying since my girlfriend and my family aren't used to it. Then earlier this week, I found out my girlfriend is pregnant so I'm going to start carrying more often now.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    For me it just came down to the fact, that crime happens when an where least expected. An what if I was there an couldn't protect myself or someone else. We had a guy several yrs ago in this county that went nuts, I think he stopped an shot a guy at a farmhouse, wrecked his truck, the volunteer fireman, 18 yrs old came out an he shot an killed him. He ran out of bullets, was told when the first cop arrived at the scene the cop couldn't pull the trigger an the bad guy did an it went click, or the cop would of been dead too...all this happened on a country road....who would of thought. When my son started carrying his it got me more motivated.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    When I realized that the only person I have to depend on to protect myself or my son IS myself. I'm down with ANYTHING that will help me with that

JSL76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I started carrying in January after an incident while driving. I was riding in the car with a friend a vehicle pulled out in front of him. My friend honked the horn. The passenger of that vehicle jumped out of his truck and started beating on the glass on the door where I was sitting. We were stopped in traffic and were not immediately able to drive away. This happened in Zionsville. The police station was about 2 blocks away and they didn't arrive. The Boone County sheriff eventually got the guy at his residence in Lebanon.

I also lived in an apartment that was burglarized. I came home and the window and back door was open.

These are the 2 main reasons why I carry.

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    The only reason I got my first gun was because my brother paid for it. So at the time I got license and carried a few times because I "could". I was pretty young and dumb at the time so I guess it's a good thing that I put it away and sort of gave up on it.

Now, I'm a little older and have a real interest in shooting and I got my lifetime LTCH so I will never have to worry about it again. I carry because I believe a right un-exercised is one that you will lose. I also think that though the kinds of crimes that I might need to defend myself against with a handgun are pretty damn rare…especially around here…it only takes ONE such crime in a whole lifetime to make you or your family die.

Dying sucks and it lasts a **** of a long time.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Factors included: Being threatened by a tenant that I was evicting. The house next door to my home was burglarized. Age and nagging ailments reduced by capability to flee or physically resist. Gaining firsthand knowledge about how many other people are carrying (legally or illegally).

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I witnessed a homicide about 12 years ago. Thankfully the shooter ran before any witnesses could be eliminated and he was eventually caught and is now doing 64 years in service of the state...as well as "Bubba". After that, I thought I had better be able to defend myself with something other than a glass coffee pot. I also HIGHLY recommend some sort of training. I learned from training I didn't know what I didn't know. I now have more confidence when I carry.

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    I had gotten married about a year ago. I have a degree anyway in Law Enforcement so regardless I would be carrying anyway. But when my son was born I felt like I needed to do all I could to protect my family. So thats around the time I got it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Same as Kirk; in addition to occasionally seeing the first 3 minutes of the evening news. That was enough for me.

Haven't had to pull it yet; hopefully I never will. But I'm dedicated to keeping one on me or near me. In fact, as soon as we get my girlfriends residency switched over, we'll be getting her permit, and probably going looking for a nice .38 or .357 with pink pearl grips....anything that gets her excited about shooting and carrying, (including pink grips,) is fine by me; now I'll have tactical support. :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Our society is so safe and respectful of others.

But really, like the old saying, when seconds count, police are minutes away. Police can't protect, only clean up usually after it is too late. Also because I can't find a uniformed civilian that I can trust who will be with me every time I leave my residence. Or because they can't be with me every time I leave my residence.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Not long after my 18th birthday I was robbed at gunpoint. I asked a few questions after that and found it was legal for me to carry at that age with a permit. Dad and I went to the Bullet Hole and I got my first handgun. I applied for the permit and have never looked back.

Man, that was a lot of years, a lot of beers, and too much money ago :D

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    One decides to take their safety in their own hands when they decide not to be a victim. After that is decided, all else falls into place.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I don't believe that there was any one reason that I had to start carrying. I wanted to carry when I was younger, as my dad was a LEO. He had no problems with firearms in the house, aside from a certain person who he didn't trust around them (he was proven right eventually, 'nother story, 'nother thread). That same person was one of many reasons I wanted to carry.

I have a family to protect. I have myself to protect. I have friends who carry. I have a respect, admiration, and general enjoyment of firearms.

donavonmaxwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    I carry because it is a right afforded to me as an American citizen....AND the fact that the house next to me got broken into twice....once while I was home watching it happen....I carry and I will NOT be a victim......Anyone breaks into my house and they are gonna get 5 rounds of 158 gr. HP's......yup!

Top Bottom