Why buy high Cap magazines when you can print them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I've been keeping up with defense distributed for a while now. I'm fairly fluent in autodesk inventor, and my college is getting a 3d printer that I'm supposed to use for a project. Depending how I like it I may invest in one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's all good and fine until they make possessing them a felony, printing them out a felony, and mere possession of the software to print them a felony and then there's a federal agency that will perform no-knock warrantless searches confiscating everything you have that could possibly be used to make them.

That could never happen, right?

Anyone who believes that did not live through the late 80s and through the 90s.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not quite ready for prime time

Some of the high end prints are quite good and can probably do this. But, the hobbyist prints are not up to this task. My friend has one and it good for trinkets, small parts, and such.

My friend made this game set for me (green plastic hand painted):
    FyS7bh.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It's all good and fine until they make possessing them a felony, printing them out a felony, and mere possession of the software to print them a felony and then there's a federal agency that will perform no-knock warrantless searches confiscating everything you have that could possibly be used to make them.

That could never happen, right?

Anyone who believes that did not live through the late 80s and through the 90s.

This! NY just passed a new law that makes it illegal to have magazines with more than 7 rounds! NY residents have 1 year to sell them out of state or face charges.
    :rolleyes:

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    This! NY just passed a new law that makes it illegal to have magazines with more than 7 rounds! NY residents have 1 year to sell them out of state or face charges.

Magazines over 10 rounds became illegal. Magazines with 10 rounds are fine and are grandfathered, but it's a misdemeanor to load 8+ in any magazine. :n00b:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Does anyone make 7 round mags? Most of my milsurp are eight...

Having a law stating eight to ten rounds in a ten round mag has about as much effectiveness against mass shooting as "gun free zones".

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I've been keeping up with defense distributed for a while now. I'm fairly fluent in autodesk inventor, and my college is getting a 3d printer that I'm supposed to use for a project. Depending how I like it I may invest in one.

I hope they have a really nice one, because the one we had in college didn't make anything remotely sturdy. You could pretty much break it with your hand. After all it's just sintered plastic.

What I found funny was the news outlets talking about "downloading and cranking out thousands of illegal guns with these printers!" Apparently they don't realize how CNC mills work? :n00b:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hope they have a really nice one, because the one we had in college didn't make anything remotely sturdy. You could pretty much break it with your hand. After all it's just sintered plastic.

What I found funny was the news outlets talking about "downloading and cranking out thousands of illegal guns with these printers!" Apparently they don't realize how CNC mills work? :n00b:

Remember, the "media" are all of those liberal arts majors that couldn't ever hack it in any science class, math class ...

These are the sort of people who think drill presses are a workout at the gym where you push up weights while someone yells at you.

I now think journalism is nothing but a copy and paste job - outlet X has a story on 3D gun printers, so I need to do the same story (and throw it together as cheap as possible). American journalism today is analogous to Chinese manufacturing - copy and make crap, sell as much as possible.

WldBill423

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    I got as far as "High Capacity Ammo Clips..." then rolled my eyes and came back here. Do journalists have a remedial course in firearms terminology they can take before doing anymore stories?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I got as far as "High Capacity Ammo Clips..." then rolled my eyes and came back here. Do journalists have a remedial course in firearms terminology they can take before doing anymore stories?

No kidding. Now think about this, note the number of errors in gun stories. Just figure that the error rate probably applies to every story! No you know why everyone is skeptical about [STRIKE]modern[/STRIKE] journalism.

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I now think journalism is nothing but a copy and paste job - outlet X has a story on 3D gun printers, so I need to do the same story (and throw it together as cheap as possible). American journalism today is analogous to Chinese manufacturing - copy and make crap, sell as much as possible.

That's certainly true. Look how many of them make "tweets" into a news story.

That's the equivalent of saying "Well this one guy I know said..."

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Magazines over 10 rounds became illegal. Magazines with 10 rounds are fine and are grandfathered, but it's a misdemeanor to load 8+ in any magazine. :n00b:

Excuse me mass murderer
    Yes officer?
    How could you murder 7 innocent people?
    I would have murdered more officer, but having more than 7 rounds in my glock would be a misdemeanor!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom