• ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Trigger travel

I'm going with the nature of the trigger's travel as stated by others. A trigger which travels in a straight line parallel to the barrel, can be straight without tending to pull the gun off the intended line of aim. If the trigger pivots at the top, being curved would help prevent the forces acting on the trigger from moving the gun. That said, there are flat aftermarker triggers for the Ruger 10/22 which do pivot at the top. :dunno:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Interesting.

Are they the hinge-type triggers or more like 1911-style triggers?
    The book doesn't give any mechanical details. Anyone else have insight? Most of the examples are on 1700's to early 1800's flint lock pistols and a few long guns.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have some cheap Cobra - Davis derringers with flat triggers. I have seen flat triggers on some old firearms. I personally much prefer a curved trigger as your finger has the same fulcrum point /force - if you had a straight movement of the trigger it wouldn't matter, but most pivot on a pin. Therefore a straight trigger (rotating on a pin) would take much less force if you engaged it near the end.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Are you sure??

Fat_women.jpg

Some things can't be unseen!

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Tradition, and maybe aesthetics, perhaps the curved triggers looked better? There's really no reason the triggers have to be curved. On revolvers, the triggers were curved to clearance the rear of the trigger guard.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wait... you mean you want quantifiable facts!?!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?!?!?!

Nothing wrong with guessing. That's all I've got right now.

But I am curious what the real reason behind the design is, from a historical and practical standpoint.

Perhaps another question that could branch from this is-- Is there a better trigger design out there?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Nothing wrong with guessing. That's all I've got right now.

But I am curious what the real reason behind the design is, from a historical and practical standpoint.

Perhaps another question that could branch from this is-- Is there a better trigger design out there?
    A trigger activated by your mind ... wait... People have trouble keeping their physical finger off of the trigger... Can you imagine if we needed mental willpower and self control to go along with physical control? :)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Perhaps it's just ergonomics and ease of production? It's much easier to make a flat surface consistently than it is to make a curved surface especially depending on the technology and manufacturing processes available at the time.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    electronic fired triggers are out there mostly on high buck air rifles, as in upper 4 digit and 5 digit dollars.

my bench guns all have flat triggers, from 2 oz. to 8 oz. i drag finger along bottom of trigger guard then just barely touch bottom of trigger to fire.

curved triggers can be made light also but generally arent because of not as much needed for target shooting.

tony kidd triggers for 10-22's can be flat or curved but pull straight back so i dont know if i totally agree with the pivot theory.

esrice, your trigger is a high caliber 2 stage, what weight pull do you have on it? you will find, i think, that you will like the flat better especially for accuracy work.

i cant answer with facts on when the curved trigger became vogue, but i imagine it was the same time frame as smokeless powder.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I'm thinking that with a curved trigger, the finger will lay in the same spot every time allowing the same feel for each pull. With a straight trigger, one could place finger in a different spot on the trigger and that would cause a different feel depending on finger distance from pivot point.
    Why put a precision trigger on a sbr?

I would thing they are curved because of the way most triggers pivot from the top, so your finger won't slide off. A 1911 style trigger moves straight back and does not pivot, so flat trigger.

I am going with the consistent finger position without sliding off as the best guesses. I never really thought about it before. Of course, now I am curious.

Top Bottom