• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After recently purchasing a Geissele flat-faced trigger for my AR I began to wonder why triggers are curved at all. Is it because that's what everyone is used to? Is it because a curved trigger is better than a flat trigger? If so, why?

Do we have any in-house trigger historians that could comment? The only other flat triggers I've seen have been on some 1911s.

Even with my very limited time on the new flat trigger I'm liking it. It's got me curious what a flat trigger on my M&P would be like (if it existed).

Why are triggers curved??

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Women have curves. Ferraris have curves.

All seriousness aside, it's a good question.

I don't know the answer, but I see high level CZ's that have the straight trigger, too.

I have to think that the curved trigger is more adaptable to the occasional shooter or infantryman that maybe was first introduced into firearms at his conscription.

Maybe the flat trigger is for the shooter that has adapted his trigger skill to finite levels.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Women have curves. Ferraris have curves.

Are you sure??

Fat_women.jpg

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm soooo sorry for this derailing esrice.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

OK back to the topic. I've noticed that precision air rifles, that I've seen, all have flat triggers, so as others stated maybe related to the assumed skill level of the targeted user population.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Personally I like a flat trigger if the trigger moves back straight and a curved trigger if it pivots at the top. My 1911 is closer to flat than the rest of mine - but I have considered swapping in a flat trigger as I do really enjoy it on a straight pull trigger.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Looking through one of my books I see flat trigger were fairly common up until 200-300 years ago. I've never used one so I can't comment on what the difference is between them.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    I'm not expert, but I'd imagine that it has to do with compensating for poor technique. I've seen straight triggers available, and based on that it seems like they're generally for precision shooting applications like bench rest guns, sniper rigs, race guns, etc.

These applications assume a high degree of muscle control and no bad habits like flinching. Again, this is just my own opinion, but it seems like curved triggers are more forgiving and give a better tactile feedback, which contribute to better accuracy for MOST shooters. It's hard to put into words. Having never shot a straight trigger, I'm curious as to whether they pivot like traditional triggers or does it just draw in a straight line forwards/backwards? If the latter is the case (the straight trigger remains completely vertical while sliding) I think that would be more problematic for new/average shooters.

I really don't know, but I'm going to be thinking about it for quite a while now that you've got my gears turning. It could just be all about aesthetics for all I know.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is why we can't have anything nice:facepalm:

Just guessing here...but I'd say it has to do with leverage. That is as you pull a trigger rearward, the curvature helps the finger maintain mechanical advantage on it.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The only flat trigger that comes to mind is a flat set trigger followed by a curved trigger on an old muzzleloader my father once had.

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    I'm thinking that with a curved trigger, the finger will lay in the same spot every time allowing the same feel for each pull. With a straight trigger, one could place finger in a different spot on the trigger and that would cause a different feel depending on finger distance from pivot point.
    Why put a precision trigger on a sbr?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I'm thinking that with a curved trigger, the finger will lay in the same spot every time allowing the same feel for each pull. With a straight trigger, one could place finger in a different spot on the trigger and that would cause a different feel depending on finger distance from pivot point.
    Why put a precision trigger on a sbr?

This makes the most sense, different distance from the fulcrum different amount of force needed to disengage sear

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I would thing they are curved because of the way most triggers pivot from the top, so your finger won't slide off. A 1911 style trigger moves straight back and does not pivot, so flat trigger.

Top Bottom