Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have made it a point to get into the LGS's as early as possible. When I do this and am almost the only one in the store it is the usual pleasant experience. Hell, Bob shot the BS with me for 10 minutes and the guy's at Bradis were all smiling. 500 Guns is always a good time. West side loan as well.
    I am just not up to speed on the guys in Premier. I just do not like it in that store. JMHO

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Stopped in Big Daddy's Guns in Hagerstown today and as usual, every one of the guys working was offering to assist anyone in the store to the point of one walking the floor asking if anyone needed assistance. Maybe that's one of the reasons there were cars from 6 different counties parked outside.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've got 2 shops near me, so I went one day trying to find a 10/22 v-block.

Neither had it, but one suggested I buy it online. The other suggested that the one I had broke because I put it on wrong.

I haven't been back to either shop since, but I've bought a lot of stuff online. Thanks for the tip, gun shop of the year.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm sitting here reading this after a very pleasant sale to an INGO member, 6mm.

Sometimes you meet the nicest folks!

I just wanted to say that. Too much negative Karma on this thread. Needs a bit of Feng Shui.

So....I'm gonna put on "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson and go look at something happier.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sitting here reading this after a very pleasant sale to an INGO member, 6mm.

Sometimes you meet the nicest folks!

I just wanted to say that. Too much negative Karma on this thread. Needs a bit of Feng Shui.

So....I'm gonna put on "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson and go look at something happier.

Did you read my post.......................:dunno:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've got 2 shops near me, so I went one day trying to find a 10/22 v-block.

Neither had it, but one suggested I buy it online. The other suggested that the one I had broke because I put it on wrong.

I haven't been back to either shop since, but I've bought a lot of stuff online. Thanks for the tip, gun shop of the year.

Some shops order once a week, maybe they had their's in already, so you ordering it online might have gotten it faster.

And depending on what is was, maybe at comparable price.

Shop guys might have been nothing but nice :)

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Your alone. No one else has anything but flowers and puppy dog experiences at gun shops.:D

This happens in niche businesses. Gun shops, bicycle shops and others are often owned by passionate people with little business acumen. In turn they hire fellow passionate employees that have little or no customer service skills. The owner doesn't have the ability to train them since they don't know either. The good shops will treat customers well because they understand that it takes a person with several knowledge bases to run a business.

Many of these smaller businesses cannot afford insurance, higher wages, benefits, good hours, etc. This makes it even more difficult to find someone with good customer service skills to accept a job.

there's your answer.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    My only beef with gunshops is the profiling I usually experience. I look younger than I am and often when I go into a shop I find its an uphill battle to get the attention of an employee to let me check something out. Then when I do they usually look at me like I am an obvious non-buying noob just playing around. It is very aggravating.

I am not a regular that hangs around and bull****s all day, I don't look like a cop or a marine, and I dont look like I just walked in off the farm with years of rugged experience. So I get a backseat to all of the above.

What they don't know is I have been around guns my entire life; first firing at 4 years old and raised by a federal LEO and professional gun writer. I could probably shame the average counter worker with knowledge and experience and yet because I don't appear to fit the bill I get this odd sort of reluctant service.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Gun stores vary widely in customer service, just like any other customer service based industry. My LGS is almost always friendly, and informative to their customers, even suggesting looking online for something that the store doesn't have if it gets them a better deal, or faster service. I have even been drafted into service there a time or two when they get really busy, just to make sure that everyone gets personal attention with what they need.
    Unfortunately, poor customer service is not the kiss of death for a gun store, as there are many people out there that do not know any better, or walk into that particular store and think all gun stores are like that. This first impression to a new person interested in the gun world might think we are all a-holes, and turn around and never come back. perhaps its in all our best interest to point out the poor people skills and BS we see in these stores, in hopes of preserving all of our good names.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Well, along these same lines, I had an eye-opening experience today! Called a gunshop where I have purchased 20 or so guns over the years (no exaggeration) and an employee I don't know (and I guess he didn't know me) answered and told me that he couldn't be bothered answering my questions (I only asked two yes or no questions), told me to visit the store (I live 45 minutes away), and hung up! I then called the Ingo "gun shop of the year" (where I have purchased exactly 2 guns in the past 10 years) and a salesman I don't know (and I suppose he didn't know me) answered the phone...he was very polite and answered all of my questions! Guess where I am going to drive to look for my next purchase? Can't anyone figure out that people are still willing to pay for customer service in this country?
    I know exactly what you are talking about. A dealer that I have bought 3 guns from in the last half year, never answered an e-mail I sent him asking about a 4th gun that I wanted. Saw him at the last E-ville gun show, he never said anything about the gun I wanted. So I bought it from another seller. Guess he doesnt care for my business anymore. Fine by me. I`ll spend elsewhere.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 3 gun purchase in 6 month period is nothing to stand out/be remembered considering the current environment.

In more mellow times it's still nothing noteworthy, unless maybe you bought some out of the ordinary stuff.

Heard it all the time when I worked in the shop.........guys buy a Phoenix or Taurus a yr ago and he remembers me, but me not him, and he's all super cool about how he helped the shop stay afloat by his super awesome singular purchase every two years.

And he expects me, to remember his purchase, out of the thousands of people I've met since.

I can remember some sales, cool guns, cool people, or jerks. The in between normal sales to normal people, is a blur.

My guess is that it's really bad nowadays.

Email? Easy to fat finger or forget.

Amazing, people want understanding, but won't spend the time to maybe see how the other side is.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In one's social circles maybe 3 guns in a 6 month period is substantial.
    In the gun biz that's no big deal.
    There are plenty of people who buy that many a month (or more). And they were doing that before the panic,
    have been collectors, hobbyists etc for years.

Not to be a downer, but some people need to realize where they stack up.

Georgia A Hines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I do not know what I think I will accomplish here but my experience is about to hit the page. I went to a local gunshop in Seymour Ind. Still looking for a CZ 75 BD Police 9mm. They had one. Went home ,talked to the love of my life about it. He said :How much, cash out the door". Called the place and asked. Did not get the gentlemans name. Assumed it was the one I talked to earlier. Price was 535.00 and he quoted me 520. 0ut the door. So I asked my husband if he wanted to g. We did. Got there, asked for to look at the gun again and he said 535.00. Also said I would not find it cheaper. I said I have, told him about the quote over the phone. The owner said " I don't believe that! (with an attitude) My attitude popped in high gear and being who I am, I politely said "Come on now (with an attitude!) Then he offers to get the gentleman from the office out there as that had to be who I was talking to. The place was full of prospective customers. I said, " sounds like a grand idea" The young man who was helping me went back to the office and came back and said if you want it for the quote price you can have it. I looked at him and smiled, said" No but TY for being so kind" looked at the owner with a glare, but he never ever made eye contact with me. Knowing full well I would find one somewhere. Well I haven't. There is where I do w/o. and He does not care.
    I do not have to lie to anyone, they do not have the power to send me to heaven or hell, so they are powerless. Their opinion of me is none of my business so they can keep that to themselves also.
    BUT I still need a CZ75BDPolice. ... Wow did I let go! Feeling Good! :)

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Theres a certain shop in Indy near u.s.40 & post, sold my son a rifle for 600$ that everywhere else in the world was near 300. He was out looking on his own and didnt know not to get near this place [rudeness & overpriced],He didnt know what price this rifle is sold normaly,he was taken by them . He didnt know because he was in Iraq 16 months when this rifle came out, just got off the boat you might say, I still want to go there and ask them about this ripoff to see how they react.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I go to bradis once, or twice a week. I like alittle conversation with a couple of the older guys there. When their busy though, because of the threads I see on here, I keep the conversations short because I dont want them to accidentally **** off some little turd who cant speak up. If you are in a gunshop and unable to join in a conversation, and slip your question in. You think that everything should stop, for you. You think too highly of yourself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom