• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanWrench

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2015
    Muncie
    I've been shooting most my life, though I'm only 19, and I just love shooting bolt action rifles. Every one I've picked up I have fell in love with.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I like how much ammo I save with my bolt-action. I focus more on the fundamentals and shot placement whereas with my ARs I prefer to see how fast I can move between targets.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Same reason a manual transmission is more enjoyable than an automatic transmission.

There is that feeling of being "part of the machine" Some sports cars, especially early turbocharged models actually were faster with automatics that allowed the engine to stay at maximum boost. The 5 speed versions were still a lot more fun.

I shot an iron sighted .30 caliber bolt action Winchester target rifle for years in National match courses. The Rapid fire events were far more challenging, especially when recoil in sitting position would send the front sight into the sky every shot. Subtracting the time to drop into sitting position, stabilize the sling and the time for reloading, left you about 4 seconds a shot. That is an easy pace with a 5.56 semi auto whose recoil does not even take the post off the 200 yard aiming black. It is a crazy short pace for a bolt action that pushes you out of position every shot. I have cleaned the target with a bolt gun, so it can be done. Because the the difficulty, it was far more satisfying. Kind of revisiting a lost art.

I think it is good to be competent with all styles of firearms.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have to agree. I always seem to gravitate back to my bolt guns no matter how ate up I get with black rifles. There's something almost theroputic I think about the slow firing of a bolt action.

JBTate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    S.E. Indiana
    With ammo prices and 22LR being as easy to find as bigfoot, over the past few years I've shot my old single shot bolt action Marlin more than anything else, possibly more than the rest combined. It was my first gun as a kid and still shoots fantastic. As mentioned above, you pay a lot more attention to every detail of each shot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A few years back an 1885 Winchester "Low-Wall" found me. A friend had it, his grandfathers, and needed money so I obliged.
    I did actually offer to sell it back to him but he declined.

This is a falling block action single-shot .22lr. It had been re-barreled with Winchester model 52 barrel to convert it from .22 short to .22lr. This was professionally done decades ago.

It is by far, the most fun rifle I have to shoot. Slow and methodical, but satisfying nonetheless.
    It's almost not a challenge squirrel hunting.

I have a choice of different actions, but always get the biggest grin from that falling block.

I really want to try this someday.
    I don't really want to burn through that much .303, but I think it would be fun to try the shoot.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_minute

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bolt guns are good, but there's something uniquely American about my favorite, lever actions!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There's just something so elegantly simple and reliable about a bolt gun.
    If you're a reloader, it's the best, most forgiving action to load for.
    Paul Mauser perfected it over a century ago, and the basic action is so inherently good that it's nearly impossible to improve upon it since then.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is that feeling of being "part of the machine" Some sports cars, especially early turbocharged models actually were faster with automatics that allowed the engine to stay at maximum boost. The 5 speed versions were still a lot more fun.

I shot an iron sighted .30 caliber bolt action Winchester target rifle for years in National match courses. The Rapid fire events were far more challenging, especially when recoil in sitting position would send the front sight into the sky every shot. Subtracting the time to drop into sitting position, stabilize the sling and the time for reloading, left you about 4 seconds a shot. That is an easy pace with a 5.56 semi auto whose recoil does not even take the post off the 200 yard aiming black. It is a crazy short pace for a bolt action that pushes you out of position every shot. I have cleaned the target with a bolt gun, so it can be done. Because the the difficulty, it was far more satisfying. Kind of revisiting a lost art.

I think it is good to be competent with all styles of firearms.

I shot an Appleseed event with my Mossberg 46B bolt action 22. The timed shoot portions were a challenge, to say the least! I do love my bolt guns though, and most that I own are bolt action.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I shot an Appleseed event with my Mossberg 46B bolt action 22. The timed shoot portions were a challenge, to say the least! I do love my bolt guns though, and most that I own are bolt action.
    I used my Savage FVSR, even got my patch with it. You need to find a good rhythm. Once I did, I don't remember ever having an issue with time.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I do the Military surplus Rifles. It's nice to shoot 303 British (Enfield) Monday, 7.92x57 (Mauser) Tuesday, 7.5x55 Swiss (K11,K31, 1911) Wednesday, 8x56 (Steyr) Thursday ETC. Nice to feel the difference between the rifles, or rifles of different country's. Then with the Mosin Nagants you have 91/30, Russian M44, Romanian M44 Polish M44, ETC. Then the Mausers, 24, 24/47, M48, and about every country under the sun. So many rifles, so little time. Then you have the histories, but that's a story for another day.

Gary

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Bolt actions are what both world wars were fought with. Not that I wouldn't rather have an M1 Garand. There is something so satisfying about pulling back that bolt and then slamming home some more rifle food. The sound, the feel, there is no better emblem of the outdoors. If you don't have a mauser, springfield '03, Enfield, Mosin(I guess if that is your thing) get one!

Top Bottom