Why all the love for the mosin-nagant . I hate them!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought one because it's the gun that shot my Dad through the neck on the Russian front during WWII. Now, if I can get the stuck casing issue fixed, I may actually shoot it once in awhile. I do like the recoil of it!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Warning, do not shoot flaming arrows at me until you read the whole post.

I was never in "Love" exactly with the Mosin Nagant. They have horrible stock proportions, a design like someone made it in their basement, and fit and finish that would not get a passing grade in High School Machine shop. They have the worst functioning stripper clip system of any of the old war horses. The quality of the russian barrels is pretty poor by todays standards and the bore diameter is all over the place. Of course the ammo available is combat fodder. The last two greivences do not make an accurate rifle.

Now the good stuff, the 7.62 X 54R ammo has lots of potential. It can be similar to the 7.62 nato if you watch to keep the pressures on the low side. The one I bought was an unissued Tikka rebuild with a 1943 Tikka barrel, that was worth every penny.
    The barrel was true .308, and the rifling job was good quality. This allowed me to load quality .308 bullets of both the match and the hunting variety. This made my particular example record groups less than 2" on the 100 yard and 6" on the 300 yard target. Clearly not match accuracy, but when you are shooting an iron sighted, 100 year old infantry rifle, that is accurate enough to be fun. I think I paid $150 for it better than 20 years ago, when most of them were selling for $70.00. I will never hesitate to pay for a quality barrel. Even 20 years ago, it was hard to have very much fun for $150.00, so I enjoyed playing with it. After shooting it, I would then pick up one of my model 70 Winchesters, enjoying its superior quality, design and fit and finish and thank God that I was born an American.

I guess I was glad to experience the old russian rifle.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Yes it is an m14, not M1A. That being said the m14 is close behind the mosin and soon to pass it.

The FAL has been in use longer after some quick research.

Wrong, the Mosin Nagant is still issued to Milita's in China, Cuba, Venezuala, Afganistan, and a host of other 3rd world countries. While not glamorus that still equals 121+ years of service.................

and counting. :rockwoot:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I much prefer Mausers but I did pick up a 91/30 as a range toy. I've got plenty of other rifles that could fill just about any need but a sub $100 range toy is always a nice addition to a collection.

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Miller, you must have a very large safe. Great collection. I have a 1933 91/30. Fun to shoot. Not sure of accuracy yet as need to fire a few more rounds.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I'd rather put that 100 toward something of better accuracy/ergonomics and actually use it outside of just making noise.

I can think of over 20,000 Germans that would beg to differ of course you can just scroll the list to see

http://www.wio.ru/galgrnd/sniper/sniper.htm

and lets not forget that pesky Finn Simo Hayha who killed over 500 Russians in 100 days, most with a Mosin Nagant without a scope, just Iron sights

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok

what does your wife say every time you spend 100 bucks on one of these...this is the most ridiculous thing i have seen on INGO..no offense but broaden your base a bit....LOL....i hate these guns but i would take one but not this many..come on!!! see a shrink
    I own at present over 80 Mosin Nagants and I buy them for the chance to hold a piece of history in my hands,

if I want to drive tacks, well I have these.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Its a piece of history... for $100 you can get a 19th century antique that is 100% functionable.

People don't buy them to win accuracy competitions... they buy them to COLLECT a piece of history. I wouldn't compare my AR-15 to my Barry Bonds rookie card.... but it would be cool if I got bored shooting my AR-15, I could periodically take out my Barry Bond rookie card and shoot it at the range. (or kill a deer when SHTF)

People don't buy M-1 Garands because they out-shoot AR-15's and people don't buy 57' Chevies because they out drive brand new Corvettes

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    4 shot cold bore group at 100yds.
    2012-3-18mosin10.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/203356-mosin_sniper_range_report.html

Watch your breathing. ;)

But as it's been said, the Mosin-Nagant is a "prepper's" gun. For the cost of a Glock you can buy four Mosins and almost a thousand rounds of surplus ammo. It's one of those guns you buy and hope you never need it as opposed to something you use all the time.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Out of all my guns I always tend to pick the mosin up the most often. Its a fun gun to shoot and its plenty accurate for the shooting I do. The recoil is enjoyable to me and it doesnt hurt that rounds are cheap!

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    what does your wife say every time you spend 100 bucks on one of these...this is the most ridiculous thing i have seen on INGO..no offense but broaden your base a bit....LOL....i hate these guns but i would take one but not this many..come on!!! see a shrink

If only some of them cost $100.00, I have 6 snipers ( yes legit snipers not the repro CIA models) each worth between $800.00 - $2500.00 so no its not about the $100.00 refurb. as for broadening my horizions I have close to 130 firearms in my collection so that isn't an issue.

As for my wife, she loves it, she enjoys them as much as I do, she has about a dozen of her own firearms, but I guess from your comments you can't say the same.........

sorry about your luck.

:rockwoot:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I counted at least 62 Mosins in the pic alone...You know you can only carry 1..I am sorry but i just cant get over that picture...

Those are the ones my office, all the real high dollar ones are in 2 safes in my bedroom. I had to empty 4 gun safes to move them to do some painting and I fugured while I had them out to get a group pic. Even with wide angle they all wouldn't fit so I took 3 pics..........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Top Bottom