• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I wish someone would tell me the secret to catching bass. I'm not doing something right. I'm starting to wonder if 12 pound and 10 pound line is too heavy. I'm thinking of going down to 8 pound line. It gets depressing watching all those fishing shows (in HD too) then going out and not getting one bite.

I did learn I've been fishing spinning baits wrong. I've been casting them out and instantly reel them in. I guess I'm suppose to let it drop to the bottom first then reel it in.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive never let a spinnerbait drop. My rule has always been, work it as slow and as deep as the blade still shimmers. If you cant see the blade, its not catching any light.

Bass fishing is a science, and an art. 2 of my buddies had never used artificial bait before I took them fishing, and I kicked their butts everytime, and now they use nothing but, and kick my butt.

I used to be alot better at it, because I studied up on the habits of largemouths, known methods for mimicking their prey, and best times to fish. Now, I just go whenever, and dont really put much thought into it. Thats why I dont do so well anymore.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I wish someone would tell me the secret to catching bass. I'm not doing something right. I'm starting to wonder if 12 pound and 10 pound line is too heavy. I'm thinking of going down to 8 pound line. It gets depressing watching all those fishing shows (in HD too) then going out and not getting one bite.

I did learn I've been fishing spinning baits wrong. I've been casting them out and instantly reel them in. I guess I'm suppose to let it drop to the bottom first then reel it in.

I am a new bass fisherman after spending years just using a bobber and worm to catch panfish. I have quite a nice pond in my neighborhood that is fairly large so I have been experimenting. I have seen a few guys in here using white spinnerbaits so I have been using one on a slow retrieve and have seen some luck. The best thing I have found so far though is a texas rigged worm plastic. Been using some that have the salt. I cast it out and retrieve, reel in slow and let it fall then reel a little and let it fall. I have been getting some good strikes as it gets closer to the bottom.

Try the texas rigged worm, I have even been catching giant bluegill with it.

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    Bass fishing can be good and can be real bad. The weather controls the bite. Low pressure systems will shut the bite down. High pressure is even worse. The best time to fish is when we are sitting in a low and a high pressure front is coming. The wind is out of the west. When the wind blows from the west the fish bite the best.

I am leaving for Canada Thursday for a fly in fishing trip. Can't wait!!!!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I wish someone would tell me the secret......

Send me $25 for the secret.

Have you ever noticed how great a shot kids are UNTIL adults get inside their heads telling them they can't make that shot.......you know, the shot they actually just made! You are that kid right now and people got you F'd up good.

First off, are your spinnerbaits willow or Indiana blades or both. Each has its strengths but understand one of the strengths of a spinnerbait is you can buzz them in at or just under the surface. Speed up, slow down, count them down or even drop them to the bottom but of all those about the last thing you do is drop them to the bottom. If I know I am going to work deep drops with a spinnerbait I want one with an Indiana blade.

Rock on Bro, just keep casting that spinnerbait until you lose it. The secret to fishing is simple, you can't catch a fish if you don't have a hook in the water. I always teach that to a newbie!

I have caught walleye on a hula popper, catfish on a spinnerbait and bass on a worm and bobber. Frankly I have caught damn near every species on a worm and bobber. When you master a true slip bobber, you will find, catch and learn fish.

PS see that pic of mine with my Lab and that white spinnerbait, that is a Willow blade, good for shallow water and weeds. We had just floated the river for a few hours. i was catching Smallies on jigs and small spinners. We Got home, I grabbed that spinnerbait, made a cast, ran that bait straight back over a "hole" then slowed down near shore and caught a pike in 2' of water.....on the first cast. Spinnerbaits are like a paint brush, you can run them anyway you want to.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish someone would tell me the secret to catching bass....
    ...It gets depressing watching all those fishing shows (in HD too) then going out and not getting one bite.
    I would think it would be apparent by the pics in this thread.:dunno:
    You need to bribe your way into this guy's boat:
    It's called fishing and not catching for a reason ;)
    I'd bet 2, maybe 3 bricks of Federal bulk pack .22's would do it. ;)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Bass fishing can be good and can be real bad. The weather controls the bite. Low pressure systems will shut the bite down. High pressure is even worse. The best time to fish is when we are sitting in a low and a high pressure front is coming. The wind is out of the west. When the wind blows from the west the fish bite the best.

I am leaving for Canada Thursday for a fly in fishing trip. Can't wait!!!!

How does water temp and color change the fishing strategy?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

stop changing your line man. Seriously how much line have you purchased? Unless the water is crystal clear the line is probably the least of your worries. Are you walking the banks? I never ever let my spinners hit the bottom, thats a great way for me to catch a snag. I usually run my spinners just enough to feel the blade is spinning. If youre not catching fish in a spot, move on. What time of day are you fishing? If its really hot out, fish shady spots. If spinners arent working change to something else. Every day is different on the water. Also if you arent catching fish, down size your lures. Try to find fish before you go for big ones.

meppsAglia.jpg

buy one of these in size 3, Everyone ive ever talked to has great success with these including me.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I was lucky. My father gave me a set of Buck Perry's Spoonplugging books. While I've never used a spoonplug, the concepts/methods for his structure fishing were immensely helpful.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    stop changing your line man. Seriously how much line have you purchased? Unless the water is crystal clear the line is probably the least of your worries.

I have lots of line! Mono, Fluro, Braid. I really need to find some good ponds.
    I've only been going to Raccoon Lake and the tail water behind the dam.

Do bass bite more early in the morning?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I really need to find some good ponds.

Indeed. Some with known bass in them. Then when they're not hitting, you can learn by changing your bait/presentation.

I'm not a pro by any stretch... but small ponds give you a concise area with few shallow/deep pockets to learn on, in very short order.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have lots of line! Mono, Fluro, Braid. I really need to find some good ponds.
    I've only been going to Raccoon Lake and the tail water behind the dam.

Do bass bite more early in the morning?
    Early morning has always been better for me than night. Plus I find less people means you can fish more spots. However like has been said Dusk/dawn pretty much known as the best time.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I was lucky. My father gave me a set of Buck Perry's Spoonplugging books. While I've never used a spoonplug, the concepts/methods for his structure fishing were immensely helpful.
    Wow! Buck Perry. This belongs in the you know you are getting old thread.

When I was first introduced to his techniques I was a young Lad. At that same time in my life I met some local guides, a pair of Brothers who were hot stuff and really knew fish but walleye in particular. I started to copy them, read all their articles and then when they published books I bought them all. I still have them, I probably bought them in 1978? Their names are Al and Ron Lindner. I have a couple shelves full of hunting and fishing books from when I first started. Today no one reads books, just get the DVD's from In-Fisherman on Bass. Knowledge is knowledge, last year I handed a friend at least half a dozen books on how to train his bird dog.

The point macduck makes well, is study up and learn the basics of fish behavior and lake/river structure. Just stick to bass and study up and like BWFrame says, get in a boat with someone who knows how to spell fish and learn. :)

PS you ain't sh** if you don't have at least one #3 Mepps in your tackle box.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I made a quick run to Raccoon Lake this evening. Didn't get any bites. I did try letting my spinnerbaits drop after I cast them out and then reel them back in. In the past I was casting them out and holding my rod tip high and reeling them back in. This time I cast them out, let it drop, held my rod tip low to the water level, and reeled in, and did not get snagged.

I also tried a new mini-jig I bought. I hope I can catch something on the three jigs I have. They are fun to throw in the water.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I just stumbled upon (online) a place I've not heard about before: Green-Sullivan State Forest. From maps and reading it looks like they have many places to fish. Anybody been there and are any of the ponds good for shore fishing going after bass?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just stumbled upon (online) a place I've not heard about before: Green-Sullivan State Forest. From maps and reading it looks like they have many places to fish. Anybody been there and are any of the ponds good for shore fishing going after bass?

Green Sullivan is great stripper pit fishing. I've never fished the pits without a boat. Nice electric motor only lakes.

:n00b: Did I mention I have a jon boat setup for sale?:rolleyes:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...299603-wts_10_jon_boat_setup.html#post4295087

Top Bottom