• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Ive talked to different people and read that the key to having a decent match while ROing is let some bodyelse take over at least 3 people ahead of your turn to shoot. This also goes for the score keeper. That should give you ample time to get the stage burnt in. But you are correct Bart it will be nice to give the regulars a break.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm in for sure.
    It would be a relief for all the shooters who seem to RO all matches.

Certification is NOT required to RO at a Level I match. Pass the timer around! Actually, as I understand it it's not required for a cert'd RO to run the timer at Level II or III matches either, so long as a certified RO or CRO is on the stage as required in the appendices.

Ive talked to different people and read that the key to having a decent match while ROing is let some bodyelse take over at least 3 people ahead of your turn to shoot.

I usually try to give up the timer when I'm called "in the hole". That gives me one shooter to check/load mags, swap ear-pro, whatever, and one shooter to do final visualization/walkthrough. If I have my crap together so I don't have to futz w/ equipment, then I have two shooters to prep. If someone volunteers to take over a shooter or two sooner, that's just bonus.

If you truely focus on the shooter's gun and are just watching for safety and/or penalties, it's much easier on your game. Where most ROs get messed up is they start paying attention to how shooters break down a stage and then start second guessing their own plan. Don't let the shooter's game plans mess with your confidence in your own plan. The down side is that if a shooter does see a much better way than you, you either may not catch it or if you do you don't get time to burn it in and incorporate it in your plan. Either way, the best thing you can do is not let the plans of those you RO affect your plan.

Of course, while ROing you don't get all the extra time others do to visualize your plan... So in some respects it's similar to always going first on a stage, which in itself is good practice.

RO'ing does affect your game, but that's the best way I've found to deal with it.

-rvb [not a cert'd RO]

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    A Level 1 Range Officer Seminar will be held on Feburary 19th-20th at the club house at the Atlanta Conservation Club. Atlanta Conservation Club
    This is a 2 day seminar and will be conducted by NROI certified instructor Troy McManus.
    Times to be annouced ( think 8am'ish till 4 or 5 on Saturday, and 8am'ish till noon or 1 on Sunday)
    Cost is $80 ( payment due date is Feb 1st)
    Lunch will be provided on the first day of class
    The 2nd day will consist of live fire drills
    Must be a current USPSA member to attend seminar.

I have applications for the class, please email me for one. Payment for the class needs to be made out to the Indiana Section.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
    317-828-5338
    jakemartens@comcast.net

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Certification is NOT required to RO at a Level I match. Pass the timer around! Actually, as I understand it it's not required for a cert'd RO to run the timer at Level II or III matches either, so long as a certified RO or CRO is on the stage as required in the appendices.

I usually try to give up the timer when I'm called "in the hole". That gives me one shooter to check/load mags, swap ear-pro, whatever, and one shooter to do final visualization/walkthrough. If I have my crap together so I don't have to futz w/ equipment, then I have two shooters to prep. If someone volunteers to take over a shooter or two sooner, that's just bonus.

If you truely focus on the shooter's gun and are just watching for safety and/or penalties, it's much easier on your game. Where most ROs get messed up is they start paying attention to how shooters break down a stage and then start second guessing their own plan. Don't let the shooter's game plans mess with your confidence in your own plan. The down side is that if a shooter does see a much better way than you, you either may not catch it or if you do you don't get time to burn it in and incorporate it in your plan. Either way, the best thing you can do is not let the plans of those you RO affect your plan.

Of course, while ROing you don't get all the extra time others do to visualize your plan... So in some respects it's similar to always going first on a stage, which in itself is good practice.

RO'ing does affect your game, but that's the best way I've found to deal with it.

-rvb [not a cert'd RO]

Level II and Level III matches must be RO'ed by certified people. Clip board and other duties do not have to be but the person on the clip board must be certified and for a Level III match there must be a CRO on the stage.

Level I it is not a requirement for a RO to be certified, and I support passing the timer around a bit but not everyone is ready and should not run shooters. There is more to it that meets the eye, and somethings need to happen. Proper range commands, safety, scoring, and hopefully avoiding mistakes. Many times the attitude is this is just a club match and all the rules do not apply or many things get fudged or let go and this attitude needs to be avoided.

I am not saying rvb is suggesting any of this is acceptable but it can happen when the timer is passed around and some are not ready. We all need to guard against this. The only way to get the experience necessary to be a good RO is to get out there and run shooters, but the person needs some preparation in order to do a good job.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    +1 to Coach. Nothing like instructing an drafted RO while you are shooting because it is your turn. Some clubs pay for the RO course if you are a member and willing to actively officiate their USPSA matches. I've had to do this from time to time and use the opportunity to train others. Don't like it however, it does build confidence and interest.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I personally want a certified RO, especially at level 1 matches because that's where the new/inexperienced shooters learn. For me, it's a safety thing.

Now that I (and others seeking this class) have moved from beginner to novice, we are ready to give back and become RO's.

Top Bottom