Who's going to one of the nicest gun auctions ever?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3Todd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    What did the Luger #290 sell for and around what time?

I remember seeing the Luger sell...but I _don't_ remember what time. I think it was late enough that people were getting confused, though. My notes make me think it closed at $2250 originally, but then was reopened and backed down to $2100 after some confusion about what the last few bids actually were. (something that happened a couple of times, but not terribly often, throughout the day)

Toyman317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That's the same price I have in my notes, but lot #112 was an IBM M1 _Carbine_, right? (I was kinda sticking around hoping that would go late enough that it might become a steal...but it wasn't quite that.)

Lot #138 was mismarked as an "FN M1 Garand" in the catalog, but was actually an IHC Garand...and brought $2200.

You are correct about #112 being the carbine.

The Luger (#290) sold for 2100 when all said and done.

Here is another story. When I was waiting for the background check the dealer said to the person next to me "well that is 26 guns so the transfer fees will be $520.00. I looked down at their sheet and there must have been at least 10 of those Johnson Automatics on it. They must have spent near 100K yesterday.

Last edited:

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The guns were valued at over one million dollars. Plus there was over a million rounds of ammunition.

Next Saturday they will auction off his farm equipment. The land will be sold later.

Estimates are that Mr Johnson was worth over 10 million dollars. With his wife dead, and no children, who knows who inherits. It is a shame that they tore his life apart so quickly. In three years no one will even remember him. It is as if he never had been born.

BTW this was covered in another thread with a lot of prices being posted while the auction was in progress.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/323312-whos-here-earls-auction.html

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I saw that older guy. I think bidder number 213 231 or something. If he didn't already have a johnson collection then he did by the time he left.

I didn't understand why he didn't buy the bayonets that went to his guns. Seems a little incomplete.

It was sad to see the greed of the auction house or the estate at work separating cases, holsters, magazines, bayonets, scopes etc from guns just to make more money. That can really hurt the value of collectible guns when they don't have all their original parts together. I mean really. I don't have one handgun stored that does not at least have one mag in the gun. I do store the rifles with no mags to save on space but handguns.

3Todd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Does anyone have the price of lot 52 the Rasheed 7.62x39?

My notes say $525.

(I should scan my notes and find someplace to post them. There are holes, but I got _most_ of the selling prices. I bet others could help fill in the ones I missed.)

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I did a lot of bidding, but didn't get much.
    I had a certain amount of cash in my pocket and I just was not going to let the heat of the bidding moment get to me.
    I passed on a couple batches of 12-14 nice ammo cans for $120. Could have gotten them, but would have probably ended up paying retail or close.
    Just wasn't going to do it. I wished more people would have done the same and kept the prices in line, but that's auctions for ya.
    I also wanted smaller lots, especially the reloading components.
    Earls was all about the guns and ammo. everything else they treated like it was junk and not worth their time to break up. oh well.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on some powder.
    1 4lb can of Win231, 1 4lb can of Unique, and 1 4lb can of Blue Dot for $92 after fees.
    All of the cans had been opened, but the Win231 and Unique were still full and the Blue Dot was about half full.

I tried to keep up with posting the prices on here, but had to get up and look at stuff quite often.
    I get really bad ADD at auctions!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw that older guy. I think bidder number 213 231 or something. If he didn't already have a johnson collection then he did by the time he left.

I didn't understand why he didn't buy the bayonets that went to his guns. Seems a little incomplete.

It was sad to see the greed of the auction house or the estate at work separating cases, holsters, magazines, bayonets, scopes etc from guns just to make more money. That can really hurt the value of collectible guns when they don't have all their original parts together. I mean really. I don't have one handgun stored that does not at least have one mag in the gun. I do store the rifles with no mags to save on space but handguns.

I don't know that they were purposely separating these things. It wasn't as if the former owner put together these lots. I'd imagine the auction house got a bunch of "stuff" and just arbitrarily put it into lots. I doubt they had anyone that was knowledgeable enough or had enough time to go through it all and match up guns with bayonets, holsters, mags, etc..

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

I don't think it was greed but more that the people just didn't know much about firearms in general. I corrected several listings for them and they still had many things screwed up. I don't think it was intentional, just pure lack of knowledge on the subject. I know one instance where he was holding up a Colt Series 70 Government Model and the box was for a Colt Cobra. I told him it was the wrong box and he said he didn't care. I was sitting there and he came up a put a rifle in my lap and said "What is this?". I looked and it was a WWII G43! There were numerous instances where guns were laying out and boxes, mags or other parts were laying nearby and sold separately. Of the 3 CZs I ended up with one had no mag, one had the wrong mag and the other had 2 10rd mags instead of the standard 15 rounders. I saw the proper mags in some of the big lots of mags sold but at the time I didn't know what I needed. If two guys who knew enough about firearms went through the stuff prior to the auction it could have been a much better and probably more profitable auction for everybody. Just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was there at the preview and overheard someone ask one of the workers why they had removed the magazines from the guns and he replied that they did not, the guns were like that when they got them. He said that if any of us could find the correct magazine for a particular gun then they would appreciate it as they were trying to put the magazines back in the guns but they simply didn't know enough.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I did a bunch of bidding and didn't win a single item. I stopped when I thought it met used gun value. I agree, just by hearing the auctioneers talk, they had no clue what they were talking about. You would have thought they'd get some kind of assistance with that.

Just out of curiosity, is the guy that bought the used Glock 17 for $850 on here?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thought the auction was badly organized with the random way items were brought up for bid after taking the time to make a catalog. Too large for one ring, should have had two. Really strange the number of bidders that won items then did not show numbers, you see that once or twice in a long time. Something fishy about the way it was going on and the auction house not doing anything, even when the bogus bidders were pointed out by the crowd. I left with the feeling the auctioneer was nervous about the whole show and just wanted to get past it.

SteviGX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Thought the auction was badly organized with the random way items were brought up for bid after taking the time to make a catalog. Too large for one ring, should have had two. Really strange the number of bidders that won items then did not show numbers, you see that once or twice in a long time. Something fishy about the way it was going on and the auction house not doing anything, even when the bogus bidders were pointed out by the crowd. I left with the feeling the auctioneer was nervous about the whole show and just wanted to get past it.

The kid sitting in the back right corner with the camo coat, that wouldn't put his number up after he bought some barrels was bidding on all kinds of stuff thinking it was funny. He should have kicked him out right away to set the mood. He was the one they warned.

Top Bottom