• ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    link >>>>>>> The new gun culture | Conservative News, Views & Books

The gun community has forever changed. Once in a supposed slow decline, the popularity of shooting and gun ownership has come roaring back during the past couple of decades. Sales of firearms are setting all kinds of records, and gun ranges are frequently packed with people.

Michael Bane calls the latest generation of gun owners “Gun Culture 2.0,” which I find to be an exceptionally apt description. Much like the move from the “old” internet, to the current generation of interactive and social web sites was called “Web 2.0,” the Gun Culture 2.0 is a similarly remarkable change in our own community.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Nice article find!!!!

"They do not advocate for the Second Amendment as a right to hunt, rather they perceive it as a guaranteed ability to resist an oppressive government."

I think a big difference is that we no longer have the need to justify why we like guns. Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than an anti gun person saying "why do you need 30 rd Mags (ok, they actually would say clips) to hunt a deer?"

We're not guaranteed a "right to bear hunting tools" but we are guaranteed a "right to bear arms."

Again, nice article.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I wasnt aware there was an "Old gun culture". Im so behind.

I love the guy alluding to the fact that we have all watched "Red dawn" one too many times. How we couldnt possibly stand against a determined, organized military force. Obviously he's never read an American history book.

Last edited:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Who doesn't want to own an evil assault weapon?

I know lots of younger gun owners who got into guns, just to own the oh so evil black rifle.

Yes, young people are interested in guns, in spite of what Liberal crap media spews and their teachers teach them.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Nice article. It gets old reading the same run of the mill "guns are evil" articles and being mad the rest of the night

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have literally see this every single month for the past two years, and I do my part to nurture the trend.

I volunteer to teach the NSSF's "First Shots" program at our local range. Over the past two years I'd wager I've helped put 500 new shooters through an introductory course.

I've taught my 73 year old mother in this class, and I've taught youngsters down to 7 years old.
    I always try to ask the reasons for their interest in the class. Most younger people are just curious. A majority of the elderly are concerned for their safety. Middle-aged seem to run the spectrum. Regardless of their reasons for participation, they always seem to have a great time.

I think I get as much out of the course as the students. They get proper instruction in firearm handling and safety, but I get the satisfaction of knowing I helped bring more individuals into a past-time I enjoy so much.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Nice article find!!!!

"They do not advocate for the Second Amendment as a right to hunt, rather they perceive it as a guaranteed ability to resist an oppressive government."

I think a big difference is that we no longer have the need to justify why we like guns. Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than an anti gun person saying "why do you need 30 rd Mags (ok, they actually would say clips) to hunt a deer?"

We're not guaranteed a "right to bear hunting tools" but we are guaranteed a "right to bear arms."

Again, nice article.

Answer:

"Because I am a lousy shot?"

:)

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Love this article. It's great to here just positive and not a bunch of negative crap. At the end of the article they discuss online marketing. It amazes me who bad the gun companies are at this. I probably like every major gun company on Facebook but they really only post something once a day at best. It's free they should have someone post something at least once an hour. People love to share thier pics so if nothing else just share those. Most of the accessory companies post a couple things an hour. Sorry got off subject but marketing is my thing as a small business owner.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Interesting article, but I must say that I don't see any of the "2.0 Gun Culture" joining private clubs and shooting. Mostly I just see the same tired old white men. I for one, would like to see more responsible gun owners at the range who represent youth, women and across the board spectrum of races.

I've found, over the years, that a healthy interest in the shooting sports can bridge the gaps in age, race and gender.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Don't worry Mike, there's hope yet. I am a woman and I own several guns and am a member of a private club. Lately there has been an influx of women INGO members, so times really are changing.

Once the ladies find out that shopping for guns is as much if not more fun than shoe shopping, you won't be able to keep them out of the gun store or range. :)

jasonville43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jasonville, Indiana
    Don't worry Mike, there's hope yet. I am a woman and I own several guns and am a member of a private club. Lately there has been an influx of women INGO members, so times really are changing.

Once the ladies find out that shopping for guns is as much if not more fun than shoe shopping, you won't be able to keep them out of the gun store or range. :)
    NO Doubt my wife went to a womens gun training class and within 2 months she had a new shotgun and rifle!! and now we are shopping for her a handgun :D

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    And her finger is off of the trigger!!!!

AAC.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Good for you! I know that things are turning around, but very slowly. Women and racial minorities are still a very small part of the legitimate shooting community. It is rare to see them in any significant numbers at local shooting competitions.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    OK, just got spanked....just for the record...I would never infer a desire for any action that
    would lead to the death of thousands and most likely alter our prosperous way of life.
    I was just responding to the idea that the purpose of the 2A no longer applies.
    It was written to establish a ballance of power between the taxpayer and the tax spender.
    It was not written to protect sportsman.

Top Bottom