• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I haven't checked the Ferguson thread since I left for work, but it was getting pretty heated in there. Sad that people can't just all sit down, sing Kumbaya, and love one another. Someone bring me a guitar. I'll build a fire in the backyard and sing Michael Row the Boat Ashore. We can all make s'mores and drink hot chocolate!!!

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I haven't checked the Ferguson thread since I left for work, but it was getting pretty heated in there. Sad that people can't just all sit down, sing Kumbaya, and love one another. Someone bring me a guitar. I'll build a fire in the backyard and sing Michael Row the Boat Ashore. We can all make s'mores and drink hot chocolate!!!

It got 1950's south in there for a moment. Unsure where the thread went.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IMHO, they should have killed the Furguson thread days ago. Intentional or not, racist language has no value to gun owners at all. It gives fuel to the anti's who are happy to brand us all with whatever negativity they can find.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    What Ferguson thread. There is no Ferguson thread. There never was a Ferguson thread.

"twould appear that the entire thread has simply disappeared...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What Ferguson thread. There is no Ferguson thread. There never was a Ferguson thread.

We tried to lighten the mood yesterday afternoon and had done that to an extent but the regular butt heads and big mouths started rolling in later and now the thread....and modern gunner are gone.
    Some folks just can not help themselves.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    IMHO, they should have killed the Furguson thread days ago. Intentional or not, racist language has no value to gun owners at all. It gives fuel to the anti's who are happy to brand us all with whatever negativity they can find.
    The problem with the Furguson thread is that it is the Furguson thread. When 90% of a box of crayons in the box is the colors of the rainbow and the other 10% arent you cant speak of the actions of the ROY G Biv crayons without mentioning Roy G Biv. Just as there is green there is also 14 different names for the color green. Its hard to talk of Crayola Furguson Missouri with its 29.3% were Metallic crayons. and 67.4% were Green Crayons. Without someone using the wrong nome de coleur de jour.I mean there are some words I dont even need to say that we all know are just blatantly colorist. But it seems some people need to think before they type and others need to put their man or woman pants on... Its the internet.... if you on it you need thick skin guerre

Two very good posts worthy of reading and then re-reading, reflecting, and re-reading again.I would also point out that the larger world around us is fixated on being offended either directly or on behalf of some other group such as to demonstrate how cosmopolitan and anti-[descriptor or your choice ending in the suffix -ism] it is.It is easy to forget that yesterday's delicate language is today's gutter language or even fighting words. Even the dreaded N-word was originally applied to people of African descent as a simple description by Dutch traders (with some allowance for the linguistic quality American efforts at pronouncing the Dutch word for the color black). As I think about it, in a much less politically charged example, it is hard to watch Goldfinger without cringing every time Sean Connery pronounces Ms. Galore's full name, but at the time only the most erudite of lechers would have known that p***y referred to anything other than a cat. I would be suspicious of a younger person here, but don't throw grandpa under the bus on this one.

We also, as previously addressed, have difficulties dealing with description by a delicate metric like race or religion when that is the primary or most noticeable thing defining a group. Over the last week or so, we have had a great deal of difficulty dealing with the difficulties of addressing the military, political, and criminal actions of people who self-identify by religion and have no real other common ground internally like national identity or political affiliation in the secular sense. Personally, in the Ferguson situation, I feel that it is much easier as 'criminal' seems to be a satisfactory descriptor for the persons about whom we would be talking.

My last concern is that of wholly-manufactured problems which revolve around someone's contrived idea of right and proper. A couple of examples come to mind. A while back, I found myself in a Moslem/Muslim argument, incidentally with someone on INGO who assured me that there would be such an individual who would take offense at my use of Moslem in spite of that being standard usage when I was a bit younger. In fact, this started a really good exercise in circular thinking in class when I was in high school when my teacher asked the class 'What is a Moslem?' to be met with 'The same thing as a Muslim' (the term has just appeared on the horizon). This is a patently stupid argument by someone looking for a reason to be offended. The truth of the matter is that by virtue of Arabic not using anything like our alphabet, translations of names are strictly phonetic in nature with no 'correct' transliteration per se. The reason we have this and sixteen different ways to spell the personal name of the dead former leader of Libya is that newsies seem to like taking something simple and make it much more difficult than it really is in order to appear more trendy and/or more erudite than the next guy and most people will believe that the more difficult you make something the more correct you must be when in some (a lot of) cases you are just whistling in the wind. Another example would be the 'standard' transliterations of Chinese words/place names/personal names. For those who never bothered to think about this or did not live through the transition in which the capitol of China became Beijing without the Chinese changing a damned thing, this system is strictly the arbitrary work of an American bookworm who the circle-jerk declared to be 'correct'. Nothing much more to it than that.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Moslem/Muslim, yes. When I was growing up, their holy book was spelt Koran; now it's Qur'an. Same thing with the Chinese indeed; Mao Tse Tung becomes Mao Zhedong why? What are we to make of constructions like zh, xh, jh, etc.? I thought the purpose of transliteration was to render the pronunciation of one language using the sounds of the characters in another language. There's no sound in English for XH. But we have the same thing now with our own language; have you ever looked up the pronunciation of a word on, for example, Wikipedia? It's written in Martian or something. You have to learn a whole new alphabet (and it's a pretty big one) just to get a grasp on the pronunciation of a word. I can understand being systematic, but these guys have made a secret code of it.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

"All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." - George Orwell

Seriously, I leave INGO for one day to do some home renovating, and that's the time everyone decides to spice things up and get exciting? Can someone please re-enact things, just for me? :popcorn: :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Moslem/Muslim, yes. When I was growing up, their holy book was spelt Koran; now it's Qur'an. Same thing with the Chinese indeed; Mao Tse Tung becomes Mao Zhedong why? What are we to make of constructions like zh, xh, jh, etc.? I thought the purpose of transliteration was to render the pronunciation of one language using the sounds of the characters in another language. There's no sound in English for XH. But we have the same thing now with our own language; have you ever looked up the pronunciation of a word on, for example, Wikipedia? It's written in Martian or something. You have to learn a whole new alphabet (and it's a pretty big one) just to get a grasp on the pronunciation of a word. I can understand being systematic, but these guys have made a secret code of it.

Word.

"All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." - George Orwell

Seriously, I leave INGO for one day to do some home renovating, and that's the time everyone decides to spice things up and get exciting? Can someone please re-enact things, just for me? :popcorn: :):

I don't know. I went to bed when the thread was still pretty light. Someone must have turned off the lights.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

RedneckReject said Kumbaya...............*Reported*

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think I'm banned from editing.

Ok, I admit, I didn't always specify a reason. But I dislike posting after myself. When I see that, it seems like no one else cares. So, I edit the earlier post because... well... no one else cares. At least, that's what I thought.

Also, I hate typos in my posts. I hate making them and I hate that if I don't change there, they are there forever. Just mocking me. Taunting me with there stealy eyes. Forever a memento of my bad tiping skills.

Sometimes, too, I hit "Post" before I'm actually done.

I'm sorry for misusing the edit feature. Is there some way to

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom