• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    This is said a lot and not entirely true. There are many large manufacturers who also produce private label products but they're rarely same recipe. Some are close but many aren't.

Hey believe what you want, you aren't hurting my feelings!
    It's true what you say, but im also telling you a truth.
    A prime example would be look up "Hellmans and Best Foods" or ask any farmer who he sells his produce to. It comes from the same farms to the same distribution points, and then repackaged to suit various vendors. It is fact my friend.
    Ok, so maybe my feelings were hurt a little. No worries, I won't hold it against you.

Attachments

• 2016-01-02 20.05.56.jpg
      2016-01-02 20.05.56.jpg
      129.6 KB · Views: 28
    Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Yall would be surprised to know that alot of products that you buy at Aldi are actually made at the same facilities that the name brand products are made. Literally all they do is slap a different label on it. Alot of your produce comes from exactly the same distribution points too. Having been to a myriad of these facilities and farms over the years as a truck driver, that has been my observation. Aldi is ok with me.
    They may come from the same place, but they sometimes have different standards to adhere to. For example, bacon (of course- this is INGO!) may all come from the same processor, let's say Tyson foods, but the store and no-name brands may allow a higher percentage of fat than say Hormel or Oscar Mayer.

velociraptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2015
    Jurassic Park
    We shop there regularly. As said above, it's a good place for staples and goodies. Their "hot and spicy" pork rinds are unbelievable.

It's also a great place to go when filling up your prepper pantry. It where I get most of our canned meat and fish for the long term stuff. Picked up some tuna the other day that's dated June of 2018. We'll rotate as we use stuff, but one can really get a jump on keeping a full pantry for not a lot of money shopping at Aldi.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    A prime example would be look up "Hellmans and Best Foods" or ask any farmer who he sells his produce to. It comes from the same farms to the same distribution points, and then repackaged to suit various vendors. It is fact my friend.
    Ok, so maybe my feelings were hurt a little. No worries, I won't hold it against you.

What exactly is your point? Vegetables are different because they are graded. Yes some places use the same grade. The picture posted proves nothing. I know what I'm talking about because I actually produced products for private label companies including Aldi.

You can say things are the same all you like but the taste almost always proves they aren't.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They may come from the same place, but they sometimes have different standards to adhere to. For example, bacon (of course- this is INGO!) may all come from the same processor, let's say Tyson foods, but the store and no-name brands may allow a higher percentage of fat than say Hormel or Oscar Mayer.

Aldi's bacon (Applewood Farms I think) is excellent. I haven't tried their thick cut but their regular and low sodium (when they have it) is better and more consistent than even Plumrose. I used to like Plumrose Smokey Maple bacon, but their quality really started slipping. One package would be fine, and the next would be sliced so thin that by the time you got it out of the package it was 2 feet long. It wasn't always apparent by looking at the package either.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Yall would be surprised to know that alot of products that you buy at Aldi are actually made at the same facilities that the name brand products are made. Literally all they do is slap a different label on it. Alot of your produce comes from exactly the same distribution points too. Having been to a myriad of these facilities and farms over the years as a truck driver, that has been my observation. Aldi is ok with me.

My ex, USED to work at Durkee, in Cin., Oh .....

They would fill the pepper hopper, and run the Durkee brand through, then run the "white" label, generic, using the same pepper .....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They had a lot of things today marked USDA organic certified.

Beware of this. Most of what goes into that certification has absolutely nothing to do with raising food organically. It covers all kinds on nonsense including but not limited to erosion control, cutting your grass, and paying out for rent seeking for the certification. I have a neighbor who raises some certified organic crops. He explained it to me and I was shocked at how little the certification had to do with growing plants.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    What exactly is your point? Vegetables are different because they are graded. Yes some places use the same grade. The picture posted proves nothing. I know what I'm talking about because I actually produced products for private label companies including Aldi.

You can say things are the same all you like but the taste almost always proves they aren't.

What Trucker is telling you is, First pick Veggies are the same quality and taste and 2nd and 3rd pick Veggies. :dunno:

And don't mind those extra stems in the can either, that's the extra you get for paying less.. Lol

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is said a lot and not entirely true. There are many large manufacturers who also produce private label products but they're rarely same recipe. Some are close but many aren't.

Except for a few exceptions it's the same recipe. The reason is it's easier and cheaper, no need to clean/flush equipment between batches and waste product when switching over. Quality may vary though.

Yep, but once again quality may vary.

Yep, never worked at Tyson, but did spend some time in shipping at Indiana Packers. I have no idea how many different brands they packaged bacon under. All with the same recipe except for the very rare one or two. I do know I was at the grocery store and saw 3 different ones with 3 different prices and they all were the same recipe and came off the same line. Quality did vary though, amount of fat, how it was distributed, consistency of slices, etc. Same with other cuts packaged under private label, tenderloins or loins, different places had different quality standards.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    We shop the Aldi's by our house, love it. Good prices too. It appears that the same staff are there when we go in. They do hustle.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Been there a few times. Limited selection turned me off and what I had wasn't all that great - seems like everything had a lack of flavor.

Top Bottom