• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I have a Sig P232 that I got for summer carry. It was a good deal at the time (under $300), but I don't carry it much, as it's better to just dress around the 9mm. I don't really like the way it shoots, but I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also on the P3AT train. A pocket holster pack with 7+1 in the gun and 6 in the reload mag is in a place where I can just drop it in my pocket. It can be with me when larger firearms will not fit the bill.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I wonder why folks carry a SIG 232/Bersa Thunder 380/Walther when they could carry something like a Kahr CW9/P9 that's virtually the same size, but is chambered in 9 mm.

Ditto, when it comes to the Kel-tec P3AT/LCP when one could go with something like a Kahr PM9.

For me, the newer, small form factor 9 mms have made the .380 obsolete in many ways and for many folks. In other words, the .380 concealability agrument isn't very persuasive when there are are other guns, just as concealable, but chambered in stouter cartridges. (Unless one is recoil sensitive, which I understand. Or unless one lives in a country that bans the use of military calibers by civilians.)

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought the Bersa 380 because it was relatively inexpensive and I like shooting it. Not much kick and fun to target shoot. It is also a good carry if you decide to take it with you...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I wonder why folks carry a SIG 232/Bersa Thunder 380/Walther when they could carry something like a Kahr CW9/P9 that's virtually the same size, but is chambered in 9 mm.

I totally agree.

Ditto, when it comes to the Kel-tec P3AT/LCP when one could go with something like a Kahr PM9.

I totally DISagree. The Khar is 0.4" thicker. I cannot carry something that thick in my pocket. The P3AT carries fine.

For strong side carry, I agree. Then the P11 is my choice. However, there are no 9mm in the form factor of the P3AT other than the Rohrbaugh, which is way out of my price range. Period. There are those that are close. However, not close enough.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I totally DISagree. The Khar is 0.4" thicker. I cannot carry something that thick in my pocket. The P3AT carries fine.

Um . . .

Kahr PM9 - 0.9" thickness
    Kel-Tec P3AT - 0.77" thickness

Difference is 0.13", not 0.4" That would be almost half an inch!

I suppose for some, those 13/100ths of an inch might make a difference?

Not for me.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Um . . .

Kahr PM9 - 0.9" thickness
    Kel-Tec P3AT - 0.77" thickness

Difference is 0.13", not 0.4" That would be almost half an inch!

I suppose for some, those 13/100ths of an inch might make a difference?

Not for me.

Referencing this: http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf The thinnest Khar I saw was 1.10". So I stand corrected. I personally feel that much thicker is still to thick. I'd have to get a PM9 to put in my pocket to check. I know I could do better for pocket carry if my thighs keep getting smaller. :dunno:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I don't have a .380 yet, but I'm saving for a PPK/S. Why? Size and aesthetics. It's only a half inch longer than the 9mm pistols (almost an inch longer than the rohrbaugh), similar in width, and just a much better looking pistol. If I want to carry something ugly, it'll be an XD (though XDs are better looking than the pocket 9s). If I can't carry an XD 40 or a .357 revolver, then I'll have the little .380 in my pocket.
    I don't see any advantages to the 9mms. If they made a PPK/S in 9mm, I'd consider it over the .380.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You've got a good point. A $300 point? Probably not worth the difference for me.

PM380 next to a P3AT
    mdtl_p3833vsp3at.jpg

PM9 next to P380. "Significant" is in the eye of the beholder. The top view of the slide could make the difference for me in back-pocket holster carry.
    mdtl_p3833vspm9.jpg

P3AT, PF9, P11
    pf9p.jpg

Walther PPS, PM9 and PF9
    DSC02417.jpg

P380 PM9
    p380-1.jpg

Not so sure it is a slam dunk... The PM9 *looks* like it is closer to a PF9 than a P3AT. The P380 and P3AT? Similar.

The PM9 is much closer to the weight of my 642 than my P3AT - just flatter. I carry my P3AT places that the 642 won't go.

Last edited:

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    For the most part I would say its the convenient size, I personally don't own one but me and my brother plan on buying one for my mom because the caliber is controllable and its not big and bulky, somethin easy for her to put in her purse or scrub pockets, quick access is what were looking for , for her, because in her line of work(respitory therapist, going to peoples homes and setting up equipment) you never know what you'll walk into, and a bullet is a bullet, all about placement

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Sig Sauer P-230 is a tack driver at 10 yards and at 20 yards it shoots a three inch circle with ease. Light weight and easy to conceal.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Any woman will tell you why.

Size Matters. I like my little P3AT, fits in my pocket without printing and even a .22 will stop someone if you put it in the brain pan. If Mr. Bond was happy with his .380 (have a Walther PPKS too), it's good enough for me. Of course I would prefer to carry my 1911 or Glock 21 but they are a bit tough to conceal in the summer time or when a coat is out of place. :D

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Size Matters. I like my little P3AT, fits in my pocket without printing and even a .22 will stop someone if you put it in the brain pan. If Mr. Bond was happy with his .380 (have a Walther PPKS too), it's good enough for me. Of course I would prefer to carry my 1911 or Glock 21 but they are a bit tough to conceal in the summer time or when a coat is out of place. :D

Agreed... especially if one is talking brain-pan-assassins. I think .22s are popular in org crime executions.

FYI - Bond's PPK was a .32. :yesway:

EMC0853

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Just bought a Bersa Thunder CC. My first .380. Comfortable to wear, and handles well. I agree with most in that a .380 is a much better round then a .000. At this point I only have two hundred range rounds through it, but I like everything about it so far.

CaptB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Bought a Beretta 380 for the wife. She loves it. the guns fits her hand better that any 9mm we looked at.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I know the P11 is to thick for my pocket and the P3AT is just right. Looking at the pictures above, I would still put the PM9 a little too thick for me.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Why a 380? Cause it's a lot lighter/more concealable/more comfy to carry than a 1911, that's why! Especially in an Ugly Bald Guy IWB holster, another shameless plug for Nate.

Top Bottom