• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    sorry just read whole post again..I believe you're on the right track with the clandestine operations. Makes sense but then again it is the year 2009.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Do a search on no headstamp and you will get a bunch of links to reports of us making the ammo to give to forces and not wanting it traced back to us (1970's).

As for the primer hit, that is not uncommon from an AK. The primer will get kissed as the bolt hits home. If the round is then removed, unused, it will retain the "kiss".

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    As of right now, I have 11 rounds plus the disassembled round.

Not sure I want to sell it as of yet, wanna find out what it is first. Gotta drive about 1/2 hour to ship ammo anyway; hub store's in Marion. Damned UPS and government laws!

Thanks,

Josh <><

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    That is neat. I love a little mistery to stuff you buy. It is like an extra. Kind of a "What have we here" moment.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Looks like Yugoslavian made ammo without the headstamps. I only say that because of the brass cases and the orange primer sealant.

Yugoslavian 7.62x39 brass cased ammo can be bought in 1120 round sealed tin cases. I've got a little over a case of it and it looks exactly like yours but with headstamps.

Edited to add:
    I have NO idea how you managed to get a good picture of the inside of the case Josh, but I had to hack a case in half to get a decent picture with tin snips because my hacksaw is MIA lol! Here's a fired case of my Yugoslavian 7.62x39 ammo. Same annealed look, orange primer sealant and weird primer deal seen from the inside of the case.
    DSC01270.jpg

Comes on stripper clips.
    DSC01271.jpg

Orange primer sealant.
    DSC01273.jpg

Last edited:

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    most likely sold to africa. Zastava made alot of arms deals they didnt want tracked back

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I thought some of you may be interested in this:

"Sterilized" 7.62x39 NO HEADSTAMP : Collectible Ammo at GunBroker.com

I don't expect anyone to pay $75, but they have the option as I only feel it's fair. This is mainly to feel out the price that such ammo will go for. I'm only putting this here for educational purposes, not advertisement purposes. You're more than welcome to watch.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I thought some of you may be interested in this:

"Sterilized" 7.62x39 NO HEADSTAMP : Collectible Ammo at GunBroker.com

I don't expect anyone to pay $75, but they have the option as I only feel it's fair. This is mainly to feel out the price that such ammo will go for. I'm only putting this here for educational purposes, not advertisement purposes. You're more than welcome to watch.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Barber,

Yes, there's a market. Dunno that it's on Gunbroker, but hopefully I get an idea of worth.

Josh <><

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I doubt its spec ops or for clandestine operations. Most of those guys either carry in native ammo or go in unarmed and procure weapons from the mission area.

my guess these are just some special made rounds for civvy use. most likely using a hot or unique powder. or they are very specifically made match rounds.

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    I wonder if it could be as simple as a quality control problem. Maybe an ammo factory in the old Soviet bloc made a mistake.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    What was that operation in Vietnam and surrounding area, "Operation Favorite Son", where ammo caches where placed with over-charged rounds so as to create a distrust in the ammo supply chain as weapons blew up? I think those rounds where made to look like all the other rounds though...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    From what I gather, Favorite Son utilized C-4 in the initial development stages, then another explosive with equivalent power to C-4 was formulated, and it looked like smokeless powder so as to be undetectable.

It wasn't a simple overcharge; it was designed to turn the rifle into a bomb. Autopsies had enemy combatants with bolts blown through their eyeballs, etc.

Josh <><

Top Bottom