Who is Boko Haram, and Why Should You Care?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Boko Haram. An extremist militant group that has been called "the worst evil to ever hit Nigeria".... is guilty of dozens and dozens of bombings, shootings and the slaughter of Christians and foreign workers, in the north of Nigeria.

According to AP counts, Boko Haram militants were responsible for at least 792 murders in Nigeria in 2012 alone. Locals and Nigerian officials put the numbers much higher.... at least 4,000 deaths being blamed on Boko Haram, in the last 2 years.

Boko Haram is reportedly not associated with the Taliban of the Middle East, or al Quaida in Africa (or elsewhere). Or maybe that's just what al Quaida wants the world to think. Nigerian officials are convinced that Boko Haram is at least partly funded by al Quaida.

A splinter group of Boko Haram just claimed they have killed seven foreign hostages taken on Feb 23rd. Four were from Lebanon, and one each from Britain, Greece and Italy. The main group of Boko Haram also kidnapped and killed seven French family members in February.

The leaders of Boko Haram, have stated that the killings will go on, until Nigeria is a Muslim state and ruled by Sharia Law. If you're not familiar with Sharia Law and how brutal it is.... you should be.

So, why is what's going on in Nigeria today, important to citizens of the U.S.? Well, if you're not concerned with the crimes against humanity being committed over there (which you should be).... consider that Nigeria has only a meager national army and many troops have been among those killed by Boko Haram members. The linked article below, tells about how Boko Haram actually attacks the main northern base for the Nigerian troops. Those troops are not anywhere near able to keep Boko Haram in check. And Nigeria is the number 5 exporter of crude oil to the United States. We (the U.S.) import well over 280 million barrels per year of crude oil from Nigeria.

The linked article is two pages long, but well worth reading, even more than once. The last part of paragraph #4 will give you an idea of the extreme radical idealogy at work here. If Boko Haram is affiliated with al Quaida, and they should take hold of power in Nigeria..... al Quaida will have an inroad to the oil production and exports from Nigeria. It will be disasterous if al Quaida (or even just Boko Haram) gets control of those resources.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/boko-haram-leader-denies-peace-talks-nigeria-18640424

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I thought it was a British band from about 1967 that sang "A Whiter Shade of Pale",....oh wait, that was Procol Harum. Sorry, I couldn't resist.:):

Dirty Steve

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    according to recent news reports the Syrian "resistance" best performing units are "al Queda affiliates;" and just last week they were out taking peace keepers hostages; and yet Uncle Sugar is funding the Syrian resistance so exactly why should this particular band of thugs incite any more attention than any other footnote in the misnamed GWOT?

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    according to recent news reports the Syrian "resistance" best performing units are "al Queda affiliates;" and just last week they were out taking peace keepers hostages; and yet Uncle Sugar is funding the Syrian resistance so exactly why should this particular band of thugs incite any more attention than any other footnote in the misnamed GWOT?

Well, let's see.

Short answer: Gas prices and the global economy. We get nearly 20% of our crude oil from Nigeria. Not a lot of people know that.

Long answer: Regarding the humanitarian crisis......... well, if you aren't concerned about educating yourself on 'current affairs' (that could seriously affect the U.S. economy too).... then why should I explain it to you?

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    They're a barbarian sect and a blight on any country they inhabit. I remember reading that they banned Samosas (a traditional cuisine) because they're triangle shaped, and the three corners are a referance to the holy trinity and therefor an idol and heresy to Islam. There's no reasoning with people like that.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Well, let's see.

Short answer: Gas prices and the global economy. We get nearly 20% of our crude oil from Nigeria. Not a lot of people know that.

At least we're admitting that we're only interventionists when it comes to procurement of natural resources now. The only deaths that matter are the ones that affect our bottom dollar.

I'll care about the terrorism of Boko Haram when the terrorism of Barack Obama is resolved.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Rats! Me too!

Me three:D

We'll have troops there before you know it. You can't have a military the size of ours, and the budget that goes with it, without using it. The military treats it's funding like any other government agency, if you don't use it, you lose it.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    I think a good rule of thumb is don't spend money or treasure on people that hate you. The best part? No matter what we do or don't do we'll be the bad guys. Yay?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    They are a known and active terrorist group.

They should be dealt with the same way we should deal with all terrorist groups. The same way we dealt with Bin Laden.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A wee bit of thread necromancy as I make my way to the magical 50 posts. :)

Boko Haram is trying to extend its coverage, as well as examining ways to link up with ISIS.

Ironically, they are moving closer and closer to areas infected with ebola. Wouldn't that be a beautiful irony - Boko dude catches ebola, infects all of them, then it spreads to ISIS.

A boy can dream....

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The whole Boko Haram thing is still ongoing and the Nigerian government is not only useless, they're lying about what they're doing. The BH say that of all the girls they kidnapped, they've "converted" and been married off to BH fighters. Sounds like they're taking a page from IS's handbook. The government says they have been in negotiations with them. BH says they're lying. This is one time I'm siding with the terrorists. I don't believe the Nigerian government has done squat to get those girls released. And making a cease fire agreement with them is just stupid. They need to get together with the rest of the AU and deal with these cretins.

Missing Nigerian schoolgirls 'married off' - Africa -

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Oh, you can 'reason' with them alright. You can 'reasonably' be certain that their reign of terror subsides when you line them up in front of a firing squad! Fight fire with fire.:ar15:

gemihur come on now You know we can't just go around killing killers, it's not politically correct. We have to sit them down and talk to them and see what is upsetting them. then we work on a plan to change our way of doing things so as not to offend them any longer. Then everything will be O.K

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BBC News - Boko Haram crisis: Niger 'will not help retake' town of Baga

Looks like Niger will join Chad in abandoning help, at least for awhile, to Nigerian efforts to fight Boko Haram.

Interestingly...
    A separate French-led initiative called for all four West African countries to contribute 700 troops each to a multinational force against Boko Haram, but no country has implemented the plan.

I wonder if France might entertain the thought - at least for the next couple months - of pushing back more forcefully against Boko Haram. I mean, it would be a bit of a political game, but... they deserve some smack down.

Top Bottom