• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My "excuse for buying my first AR" will be that I want one... my reason for not doing so up to now is simple: my wife gives me that "Do it and you'll be sleeping on the couch for a year" look...

But now that I bought her a van, I have a much better platform for negotiations lol

Man I could see my wife sleeping at her mothers with that attitude. Partners. Negotiate not terrorize. Like Danialson said....screw that crap.......If you like that life hang around. I hope it works out for you.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I dont have one . Never cared for them . Own a AK47 . I will get around some day to build one - just as soon as i finish my custom MC

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have an AR. It doesn't get out much to play though :(

Anymore, I an really liking the idea of having a lever action rifle in a .357/.38.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't have one. Just haven't been interested. I'm sure someday I'll have one, but right now I don't have the itch.

I was just curious as to reasons why some don't own an AR. I've seen some statements made in other threads about "excuses to buy that first AR". I thought that most folks on guns boards would own at least 1. They're not terribly expensive; they are reliable, accurate, are multipurpose, modular and mags are cheap.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I dont own one. I prefer handguns. The biggest thing that keeps me from buying a AR is the limited places I can shoot it at with me living in Indianapolis. I know I can go to Beech Grove Range but shooting a rifle in that short of a distance is retarded to me. The only rifle I own are in centerfire pistol cartridge 44mag. Which is great for me since I can shoot it at MCF&G

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When I bought my first AK, I was looking at half the price of an AR platform, cheaper ammunition, legendary reliability, and a .30 caliber round instead of a .22 caliber round. I had limited experience with an AR (Basic Training in 1970 and pre-deployment training in 2006) and, since I am left-handed and wear tri-focal lenses, had limited time to work our the ergonomics of a rifle platform optimized for right handers with younger eyes. The AK has served my purposes well enough that when I decided to slip back into the smaller caliber, I bought a Saiga .223.

At some point, I might get an AR-platform, but I'll have to really think about it because there are quite a few alternatives to the AR platform available these days.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I don't own one only because I've yet to find a lower to start my build.

I wanted a semi-unique lower, didn't want just a regular ol' black one. LGS has some black ones, but just getting to the LGS is a PITA for me. Was hoping to find someone in Indiana that could mail me a lower, something not black (polished/raw/un-anodized, or earth tones). But I've had little luck with that. I can order one online... but like I said, getting to my LGS is difficult for me and my trips there would be weeks apart.

I actually just 'ordered' my first AR15 part, which is a INGO dust cover :) So I guess I'll build around that now. I'm not having luck finding the lower I want on here so I'll probably just buy a run of the mill black lower next time I get the chance to go to the LGS (whenever that will be). I'm eager to start a new project. Luckily once the lower is in I can order the rest online and not have to fuss with the hassle.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ARs? They suck! They just do!

Hell, I think everyone should have at least one. In fact, for everyone one you don't own, I'll take 2! Haha

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm trying to win one now, hence the link in my signature.

May just say 'F it' and catch a ride to the LGS this weekend and pick up a lower and start from scratch. Last time I was there it looked like they only had black ones in stock, so I guess I'll just build another run of the mill black AR... I just pray I don't drop it on a pile of other ARs, I may not know which one is mine...

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't own one for years, never wanted one. I was an AK guy all the way. Cheaper, cheaper ammo, reliable. Then I got a great deal on a RRA at 21st Century's grand opening sale years ago and I'm hooked. Love ARs! And now the price difference is so small why not. I can reload great .223 for less than crap steel case 7.62. Still love AK though.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    1. Cost ( of the gun & the ammo)
    2. No current need

I do sorta own an AR, but it's a .22, so I wouldn't really call it an "AR". All I use my guns for is small varmints and paper punching.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm trying to win one now, hence the link in my signature.

May just say 'F it' and catch a ride to the LGS this weekend and pick up a lower and start from scratch. Last time I was there it looked like they only had black ones in stock, so I guess I'll just build another run of the mill black AR... I just pray I don't drop it on a pile of other ARs, I may not know which one is mine...

Grab a regular stripped lower and paint it!!

poweraddict

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Finances are the main reason. I decided to go with a decent carry gun over getting a rifle or shotgun because I can't carry a long gun everywhere. I plan on trying to tackle a build over the summer though. That way if we have another "assault" weapons scare in the near future I will at least have the lower components.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    No interest whatsoever in a semi-auto rifle... I hunt with a bolt action. The Old Man always taught me "If you can't do it in one, don't do it."

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I would like one, but I don't know a dang thing about them. I see some people advertise a 550 dollar AR and people trash on it. Then I see people advertise a 1200 dollar AR and people trash on it. I'd really like one, but when you don't know anything about them, and Google 'what is a good AR' doesn't do much for you, what do you do.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I would like one, but I don't know a dang thing about them. I see some people advertise a 550 dollar AR and people trash on it. Then I see people advertise a 1200 dollar AR and people trash on it. I'd really like one, but when you don't know anything about them, and Google 'what is a good AR' doesn't do much for you, what do you do.
    The way I see it haters are gonna hate. I say figure out what you want out of your gun, do want a range toy, home defence, or shtf go to war rifle. Then do some research on mil spec and decide if you really need it or not and go from there. Most rifles are gonna do just fine for the adverage person.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Don't be embarressed I started just like you. I ended up taking an intro carbine course with a borrowed rifle. I knew nothing about them at all. It was fun, I learned some simple techniques. I eventually made an investment in a rifle of my own. Bought it from a friend who was going to use it as a patrol rifle. He ordered the gun and before he got it he found an FN Scar. So he talked me into buying it. Truthfully I do not shoot it often but I did have some new found knowledge and experience on how to set it up.

Top Bottom