• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've had several hard primers in the Brown Bear lately that the round fails to go off. I've experienced this with both 9mm and 55gr stuff.

Has anyone shot recent factory loaded Silver Bear? I'm wondering if the problem is also happening on that line as well?

If not, I may jump over, I like the Silver. I'm just afraid that I'm gonna have a late discharge one of these days with the Brown Bear.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've got brown and silver for my Mak, never had a single issue with either. The only noteworthy thing I've noticed with the brown is it has a strange odor. Doesn't smell like powder, smells more like a burned clutch or overheated brakes.

But then again, who knows what the manufacture date is between my and your ammo. Every time I order anything online from somewhere that has mak in stock for less than $10/50 I pick up 5 boxes, yet I haven't bought any more in 9x18 in about a year.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    ive never had any issues with it as well.ive shot thousands and thousands of rounds of it without a hitch.im with danmdevries with the strange odor from this ammo.kind of strange but if it works ill use it.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have shot a couple cases this year as well. I've encountered hard primers with it. In both (all) my AR's and pistols. I was just wondering if others have experienced this. I have talked to a couple guys on the range who have had this as well.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Ive shot the silver bear 62 gr. HP in my Sig 556 with no problems. I prefer the silver over the brown bear and wolf. Looking to try out the golden bear. Any local shops carry silver bear? I've been getting it online

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Shot 9mm factory loaded. Stuff was nasty and dirty. We fired about 200 rnds and the G17 was dirty as hell. Not a big fan of it.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Shot 9mm factory loaded. Stuff was nasty and dirty. We fired about 200 rnds and the G17 was dirty as hell. Not a big fan of it.

Yes, many people have said it is quite dirty ammo. Personally I've not had an issue with firing and I love cleaning my guns, it's my second favorite part of gun ownership.

I've never shot more than 50 in a sitting, I never blow off more than one box of ammo regardless of make/size with the exception of .22, so I can't speak for shooting more than that. But were you having any other issues besides it being a bit dirty? I can't imagine any budget brand ammo that won't leave your gun filthy after 200 rounds.

For the hard primers, what gun are you shooting it from? My milsurp east euro guns never hesitate to set off a 'hard' primer. The only time I've seen FTF issues have been with a friend's Sigma using Wolf milsurp 9mm. Occasionally the primer will be dented but unfired. But he has never had an issue with any American made ammunition.

I think this issue may be similar with the slam-fire problems that plague SKS's. You have to fire east bloc ammo through those guns, preferably ammo that's known for hard primers like Wolf Military Classic. Soft primers may be struck on the bolt's return and subsequently firing. Hard primers will simply see a small dent if anything. I would imagine eastern European ammo is built not to the specifications of our weapons, but for what is available to them. In that case, a slightly harder primer is the standard.

If you're having issues, consider upgrading your firing pin spring if possible. If not, stick with American manufactured rounds. :dunno:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Yes, many people have said it is quite dirty ammo. Personally I've not had an issue with firing and I love cleaning my guns, it's my second favorite part of gun ownership.

I've never shot more than 50 in a sitting, I never blow off more than one box of ammo regardless of make/size with the exception of .22, so I can't speak for shooting more than that. But were you having any other issues besides it being a bit dirty? I can't imagine any budget brand ammo that won't leave your gun filthy after 200 rounds.

For the hard primers, what gun are you shooting it from? My milsurp east euro guns never hesitate to set off a 'hard' primer. The only time I've seen FTF issues have been with a friend's Sigma using Wolf milsurp 9mm. Occasionally the primer will be dented but unfired. But he has never had an issue with any American made ammunition.

I think this issue may be similar with the slam-fire problems that plague SKS's. You have to fire east bloc ammo through those guns, preferably ammo that's known for hard primers like Wolf Military Classic. Soft primers may be struck on the bolt's return and subsequently firing. Hard primers will simply see a small dent if anything. I would imagine eastern European ammo is built not to the specifications of our weapons, but for what is available to them. In that case, a slightly harder primer is the standard.

If you're having issues, consider upgrading your firing pin spring if possible. If not, stick with American manufactured rounds. :dunno:

I was shooting the 9mm in a G19, XD service as well. I was shooting the 55gr. stuff in my XCR w/ Robinson Arms heavier 7.62x39 spring they offer. The rounds would go off the second time they were struck. I think I have also shot some Brown in a Panther Lite I once had as well.

Good firearms, hard, hard primers that I'd hate to see a delayed ignition.

Top Bottom