• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If your a good dog handler/trainer they are great dogs.

If your a pos chances Are your dog will be too.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I have a pit bull now and have had many in the past. They are great dogs that get a bad rap. They are a strong breed and you must be up to making sure you are the leader and not them.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't lean one way or the other on this, but here are some facts....

1. My uncle had one, great dog. But I met him in his older years (the dog).
    2. I've treated several patients over the last 10 years attacked and bitten by these animals. (way more than other breeds, not including police dog bites :D )
    3. Pits make up < 10% of dog breeds in this country, however are responsible for over 90% of the dog to-human fatalities. Some of it is in the breed, but most of it is in the owner as well.
    4. The breed is originally from England, where they are now outlawed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A local race shop has a pit, and she is a sweetheart. Loves her belly rubs, and to play tug-o-war.

A neighbor has a bit/boxer mix of some sort. Beautiful dog! Very obedient and well mannered. Also very protective. I would not want to get between her and the dog!

My wife had a Rotty (you know, the evil dog before we discovered Pit Bull Terriers). He was a doll-baby. Not too smart, but obedient to a fault (would "stay" and not move until she remembered to tell him to). Nearly perfect dog, until her cousin taught it to attack an arm guard (without asking her if he could). He got aggressive after that.

Any dog can be a good dog. Some breeds make better "pets", and others are working breeds. I'd say 75% or more is the owner, and the rest is the breed. I would not hesitate to adopt a pit or pit mix, assuming there were no obvious issues.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I had a full blood pit that was rescued though PAWS. He was very energetic, but was very well behaved. He was great with kids because nothing bothered him. He got along with most other dogs, but did have a problem with a Great Dane one time. The worst part of training him was the discipline, with such a high pain tolerance you really have to smack 'em hard to get the point across.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    In-laws had one they rescued, was a great dog. All about how you care for them, they have certain abilities that when trained the wrong way can make the more of a "dangerous" dog. A lot of things in life are the same way, Barrett .50, Ferrari, etc. I wouldn't mind having one as a pet, as long as I could give it the attention it deserved.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    If your a good dog handler/trainer they are great dogs.

If your a pos chances Are your dog will be too.

I really HATE to have to agree with this guy but he is right!!:D

I have a OFRN Pit and she is the most loyal, gentle, loving dog I have ever had. They are somewhat STUBBORN, and training will require patience and time.

Not to discredit RNM as I am sure he has seen many dog attacks because of his profession but what he sees is the low-life ghetto raised side of the breed.

Also the Pitbull Terrier originated in Ireland, OFRN (Old Family Red Nose) are the direct descendants of the Irish line they are taller and leaner then most of the APBT (American Pitbull Terrier) and do have better qualities since most are not bred for size and aggression like many of the APBT.

If you decide to get on please do so from a responsible breeder and not some ghetto puppy mill, and above all remember your dog will become an extension of yourself, reflections of you and your attitude with the animal will decide if it becomes another news article or a great companion.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I have a pit bull now and have had many in the past. They are great dogs that get a bad rap. They are a strong breed and you must be up to making sure you are the leader and not them.

I forgot to add you must be the ALPHA Dog in the household. As a pup when we would rough house and play hard she sometimes bit too hard (in play not aggression) I would imediately roll her onto her back and pin her to the floor and tell her NO!! To this day if she gets into something or misbehaves and I tell her NO!!, she will roll onto her back and look at me like"Sorry Daddy".

You must establish YOUR dominance with this breed as I mentioned earlier they are somewhat stubborn.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a Lab/pit mix... Looks kinda like a throwback lab. Very smart dog. I think he believes that humans are here for 4 things; to pet, feed, play with, and cuddle him. He has absolutely no concept of stranger.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    All you need to know was said in the second post.

Killers aren't born, they are made.

I've been around several PBTs over the years and it's been my experience that they are one of the nicer breeds(when trained properly of course).

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I'm glad to see so many "PRO BULL" members on here! Truth be told I have two myself. Remy, we've had for about a year and a half, and Rufus, who we've had for about a week now! Both were strays we picked up. Remy has been the best dog I've ever seen! She just wants to be loved and is great with the kids and is the best protection I think we have at home!(that includes all the guns!) And Rufus we're still feeling out but seems to be right there too, plus he's HUGE!

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I'm sold on the breed and would not hesitate adopting one down the road...

My fiance has one. She's a real sweet dog. From my time spent with the dog I've came up with:

-Very loyal and eager to please.
    -Incredibly energetic (better have room for the dog to run around or be able to go on frequent walks)
    -Yes, they have a high pain tolerance.

This correlates with what I've been reading here. As with ANY dog, they will require training so they're not aggressive towards animals or people.

Her dog is a muscular baby. Loves to play & receive attention, she's good with kids, and she was excellent with the puppy they got in November of 2008 (A husky German Shepherd mix). The two dogs make quite a team now.

[Edit] I see, you weren't looking for advise on getting one or not, you have 2. :rockwoot:

Pics or it didn't happen :D

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think they are a very good breed. I will attest that they have a high tolerance for pain. I know a lab/pit mix that cut his ankle on a nail nearly down to the bone, didn't whine once about it. Got stiched up and now is good as new. Tough dog.

antdog/zook

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    awesome dogs even though the breed has been split soooooo much. as mentioned here get 1 from a respectable breeder, raise them from a puppy and will be a great addition to your family. mine is a great friend to me! plays with other dogs well, just not around many people, so i keep it that way as a responsible owner. thinks he is 59lbs lapdog..lol the 1st pic was right after he had the toilet paper strung out about 20" accross the house.
    i thought "schnauzers" spelling? had the highest dogbite number in the country? collie is up there too. again, all in how you raise them.
    l_1e0a23cafff43d5435a54274a24adc1f.jpg

parts004.jpg

l_bbe0659f07f249dea9bf588d6ed50e61.jpg

my buddy, always there working on something with me. he gets under the car on oilchanger ect. used to chew on sockets as a pup lmao.
    l_a9db5141d7b84300807f0bc5bf1b7625.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom