Who Has And Carry's A Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was in college, I used to finish sharpening my SAKs (Victorinox) with a hard, black Arkansas stone that was originally used to sharpen michrotome blades. It polished them pretty much like a strop would, and I could shave my face dry without it hurting. The steel was too soft to stay that sharp for long though, and I later learned that such a polished edge didn't slice as well as a rougher, toothier edge.

cclark2009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Camby, IN
    I always go with Buck if I can. I have the Buck Swiss army style knife as well as the Victorinox. Can't find pic on their site so it must be out of production. Good for me :)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I carry the farmer all the time, looking at getting the swiss tool or the swiss tool spirit, the Spirit is in a class of its own, hold one, then hold a leatherman. Leatherman did it first, Victornox did it right.

also looking ot get a locksmith those are slick

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Rhino dude! A black Arkansas stone! Not too many folks know about those. You're absolutely right about a high polish edge vs. a toothy edge. Your knife edge fu is STRONG! I have carried and lost so many SA Tinkers for so many years and I still never leave the house without at least the Tinker. I have been using a med. fine diamond stone for my carry/work knives. Like you said, you can hone a blade to a razor edge but if used for real world scenarios it won't last as long. About the only thing I still use the black Arkansas for these days is polishing sears and hammer hooks glass smooth. I just realized we have met before, years ago at some practical matches in Veedersburg I think it was. You have a crazy brother named John, right? I always looked forward to driving over there from Champaign Ill. and shooting with you guys. Always had a great time. Nice to see you again.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    have carried a Farmer model for about 2 years now. It has been to four countires with me, and it gets used for a lot of things my defense folder doesn't get used for.

A great tool.

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Victorinox Explorer for the last twenty years, Wenger Classic with LED light & pen for fifteen, a Wenger Survivor recently in the bugout gear, and an Aitor Gran Montanaro also recently in the other bugout gear.

Plus Leatherman original, Surge, and Crunch.

Top Bottom