• Who has access to your gun safe?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Who is authorized to access to your gun safe?

How many people besides you have the key or combination?

Im especially interested in answers from people who do not live alone.
    If you are married and live with your spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend, have friends and/or familly living under the same roof, or other people that you trust who live outside your home but who are authorized to access to your safe.

You can explain why or why not those people have or do not have access to your safe.

P.S. :

Oops ... I meant to say "myself" in the poll and not "only myself" since you can choose "only myself" AND other options.
    So if you want to answer "me and my wife" you can choose "only myself" and "my partner".
    Hope it's clear.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My oldest son has my safe combination just in case I become incapacitated or die.

That's a good idea to think about that.
    I another thread the OP asked for help because one of his family menber died and they couldnt get his safe open.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    My gun safe is the same safe everything else is in. I've told my wife the combination a number of times. Next time I need her to get in it I'll have to tell her how again. She never even remembers which direction to turn the knob first.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My gun safe is the same safe everything else is in. I've told my wife the combination a number of times. Next time I need her to get in it I'll have to tell her how again. She never even remembers which direction to turn the knob first.

Maybe it's better like that, you show that you trust her by telling her the combination but she cant still get to your stuff.
    It's a win win situation. :):

But I dont blame her, I dont like the mechanical combinations, I guess you have to get used to it.I like a key and/or elecronic combination better.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    We have a couple of safes in this house. My wife knows the digital code for the handgun safe. The rifle safe is keyed and combo'ed. My son and daughter are both to young to learn the combo.

My step mother on the other hand wants to know the combo to my fathers safe and I refuse to tell her:) He chose well with a 8 digit combo we picked out together.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Only myself at this time, but I do need to include a family member or my close friend in case something happens to me. I have been thinking about it for awhile, but it is one of those things that just always gets away from me. Thanks for the reminder I will try to be sure to take care of it this weekend. :yesway:

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Bacon!!!! :rockwoot:

bacon_babe.jpg

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I spent some time trying to figure out the best way to have quick access at home and none when I am gone. I came up with the simple solution to keep all gun keys (locks and safe) on the same ring with my truck keys. If I'm gone I'm taking them with me and as soon as I get home the key is in the safe lock ready to open. BTW no kids in the house. My wife, at this time, has little interest in guns so she leaves them alone. It really does force me to consciously know what the status of access is at all times.

I love bacon too!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    My wife and my son [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] were told the combo but they rarely are able to open it w/o help. So yeah, its a win win !!!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Myself and a brother. Wife doesn't like guns until it's time they need to protect her and the daughter is too young too have complete access to them (some would disagree). And BACON!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Myself, no one else.

My family has the phone # of the local dealer I bought it from who will gladly come and open it if I die. The last people I want to have access to my valuables is my wife and son! ;)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My wife and I both access it frequently.

I also have a brother who rents a room from us, and he keeps his firearm (singular for now) in there as well. He also knows the combo.

If I didn't trust him, I wouldn't let him into my house. Your family may be different.

Top Bottom