• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    What is wrong with the sights? It's adjustable and easy to see thru the targets. At least I guess I am not that old yet.

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a one in 40cal. It has target sights and a beautiful deep blue finish. Originally came with wood grip panels which I swapped for a set of Hugues. Very accurate, and it just feels good in my hand. I own three 1911's in various states of customization but none of them feel as good as the Browning.

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    Love the BHP!

I,ve had my Browning High Power for over 20 years. It has never had a single malfunction of any kind. I love it!

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Just a little info on the Hi Powers. Browning never built one, they were built by FN in Belgium. Starting in 1971 FN still made the parts but they were assemblied in Portugal. The ones that were to be sold in the U.S. were marked as such, the rest were not.

There is a lot more information on this over on the 1911 form.

I have owned one for several years and they are a wonderful pistol.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just a little more info on the HiPower. John Browning died before the original design was complete, and it was finished up by a guy named Dieudonné Saive, who went on to become the head firearms guy for FN. He also designed the FN49, which later became the FN FAL.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Just a little info on the Hi Powers. Browning never built one, they were built by FN in Belgium. Starting in 1971 FN still made the parts but they were assemblied in Portugal. The ones that were to be sold in the U.S. were marked as such, the rest were not.

There is a lot more information on this over on the 1911 form.

I have owned one for several years and they are a wonderful pistol.

The "Assembled in Portugal" stamp didn't start showing up until the MkII in the mid to late '80's. FN may have started assembling in Port. in '71 but didn't mark them so until over a decade later. I have a '84 MkI that is not marked Port.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Dad passed down his BHP to me. Early 60's Belgium. It came together with a matching SN Baby Browning .25 ACP. Both are flawless with few rounds shot. Pure balance.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have two, currently.

I love a Hi Power! BUT; the trigger out of the box could be a bit better. Yes, I know about removing the mag safety to "improve" on that, but I like to keep my gun's internals pretty much factory stock.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    On a side note has anyone gotten any of the Hogue extreme thin grips for their yet?

Im wanting to find the thinnest grips I can for mine. Any ideas?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    .... Browning never built one, they were built by FN in Belgium. ....

A few years ago, Hi Powers were being sold in the US with the FN rollmark instead of the Browning rollmark. When I became aware of this, the FN marked versions were being sold for between $400 and $500, the Browning marked versions for a couple hundred dollars more. Same gun built by same people except for the markings. Amazingly, FN opted to discontinue selling under their own mark and go back to distributing through Browning for the higher price, dadgummit.

I got a FN 9mm and .40 MKIII, each for about $430. Superb pistols. Carry the 9 daily. Now HPs run 800 or more. Gaaa.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Love the Hi Power, in all it's incarnations. I currently have these three, a Browning, FM, and Charles Daly. I used to have an Arcus as well, but sold it, to my regret. Great feel, accuracy, and simplicity.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Yeah, my mom wants one ever since she saw them used in season 2 of Top Shot. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. I asked a Browning dealer what the advantage was over a 1911 or a polymer pistol and he just basically said that some people are fans and there isn't any real advantage. So whats the deal? No doubt its a good gun, but why is there such a big following? What is the gimmick? Whats the perk? Do you just prefer all metal American design but don't care for the 1911's?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yeah, my mom wants one ever since she saw them used in season 2 of Top Shot. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. I asked a Browning dealer what the advantage was over a 1911 or a polymer pistol and he just basically said that some people are fans and there isn't any real advantage. So whats the deal? No doubt its a good gun, but why is there such a big following? What is the gimmick? Whats the perk? Do you just prefer all metal American design but don't care for the 1911's?

No gimmicks, but just a nicely balanced gun that fits the hand well and shoots well. Asking me why a particular gun makes me happier than a different gun is like asking me why my wife makes me happier than another woman might. It's a very personal choice and what works beautifully for one might not fit another at all.

The Hi-Power has a lot going for it. It's a beautiful bit of machinery that functions as well today as it did 76 years ago, has history behind it, fits the hand very well for many folks, is affordable, is reliable, and is accurate.

Top Bottom